Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13172 Views 108 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 7:45 PM by Jim24315 RSS 1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2009 9:51 AM

May - 50 Plus Training and Racing

May 1 - Run 1.5 hours, walk 5.5 hours.

May 2 - Run 3 hours , walk 1.5 hours.

No injuries from the extra walking, and I moved my long run to 3 hours.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 2, 2009 10:06 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: May - 50 Plus Training and Racing

A 3 hr run shows great fitness!  Getting ready to race?

Today I ran 5.7k, after doing 4k yesterday.  It's the only running I've done since last Sunday when I ran a few hills at work.  Otherwise it's been 30 min of stretching and 30 min of power walking each day. My hips are beginning to feel pretty good again, although I feel a bit of soreness in the right adductor, and a pain in my left butt whenever I sit too long.  I had to fly to Vancouver last Thursday for the day, and the trip down and back were somewhat uncomfortable due to the minimal seat padding on Dash aircraft. 

Vancouver was beautiful.  The cherry trees are finally blooming....about 2 weeks late.  I have to go there again this Thursday & I hope the weather is good again.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. May 2, 2009 1:34 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Hey Tigger

Fred - I'm wondering why you walked 5.5 hours.

6 miles this morning with a 5k imbedded.   4 secs. faster than last year. Not a particularly fast course.  85 degrees and as much humidity plus 15-20 mph hour winds.   5th oa. and 2nd master.   3 h.s. kids got me.  Still tired from Boston but coming around I think.   40 miles only this last week.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. May 3, 2009 7:04 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi, all! I'd like the benefit of the "mature" experience here. I have a hard time running slower than my "natural" pace, such as when I'm scheduled to do a LR at a minute or more slower than my standard 6-10 mile pace. Which of the following is the best way to physically slow down:

a) Maintain a long stride, but reduce leg turnover.

b) Maintain turnover with a shortened stride.

It seems like running too long with a shortened stride is not good for keeping my leg muscles stretched out, but then again it feels weird to stride out but do it slowly. How do you folks do it?

Doug G

Aug 14, 2007
    4. May 3, 2009 7:58 AM (in response to rochrunner)

Doug,

I wouldn't overthink your running pace and mechanics.  Can you run your long run at your "natural" pace?   If so; do it.   If not your "naural" pace will come with the length of the run. 

I think to slow down you reduce the turnover and let the stride work itself out.

Resting today.  Have good workouts all.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    5. May 3, 2009 8:09 AM (in response to rochrunner)

Rochrunner, I think "B" is the way to go. A "shuffle" run with feet low to the ground and the same turnover as when you're running faster--you just run more slowly. Striding long would be, in my opinion, more fatiguing on a long run and more tiring in general. I don't run with a long stride, though. Perhaps others here would have different thoughts on this.

Ribs, thanks much--I'll check out the Garmin download.

Four miles very slowly yesterday on the track; I had to walk for a minute after the first half mile in order to warm up enough to complete the run. No pizazz. But good to do it.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 3, 2009 8:43 AM (in response to rochrunner)

Everything I've read says "B" is the way to go.  For myself, it's a little bit of both, but mostly shortened stride, although my turnover also slows a bit.  At an easy pace I will be about 10 steps per minute slower than at 5k race pace.  As KS says, just try to find a comfort zone.

My legs are a bit stiff today, but not sore. I think I'll just do some stretching and a bit of walking to freshen them up.  Then maybe a run tomorrow if I feel good.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    7. May 3, 2009 2:06 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Ribs, see you posted over on the April thread, so replying over here. Good long run for you (16 miles). It's funny how sometimes the day after a not so great semi-aborted run, you have a very good one. 

KS, that's a good race result so soon after your marathon. And good advice to Rochrunner about doing what's natural for him.

I didn't plan on a long run today. So I went out late (around noon) for a 10K distance on the track, which I  was happy with. It was slow, pretty much. I walked another two miles prior to the run as a warm up and to help the hamstring thing. It did seem to help. I'm still a little stiff there but it seems to be better. I want to be careful with that. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with changing shoes to the larger (by one half) size. After I bought the 9 1/2s, I read that some people with pronation issues are better off in shoes that are more fitting.  I think I might be in this category. On a happier note, the tendon issue has gone completely away.

Paul, have a good time in the mountains. Sounds nice.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. May 3, 2009 5:16 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

I have a number of comments, and I'll start with my own stupidity.  Every *&%$#@ month I do this, posting in the old thread for 2 or 3 days until some kind person like Sierra pokes me in the Ribs.  Funny, that we used to bust Fred's chops for not remembering to start the new thread.  Somebody needs to take ownership of reminding me around the 30th of each month.

Now as to the arcane and mysterious Fred, may I point out that Paavo Nurmi, as I read his biography, walked a tenK before starting his running workout.  Think about this.  It's all time on your feet, there are different muscles used in walking, and a fast walk increases HR and is beneficial.  Good for you Fred.  Now that being said, cough it up and tell us what you are up to.

Tigger, I couldn't agree with you more!  If anyone has a butt strain anywhere in that region, one airplane trip seems to set you back three days!  I have no idea why this is.  I have tried excusing myself to go to the john, then walking the aisles, anything to keep from sitting there.  But it definitely is a huge impediment to recovery. 

Roch, in my continuing effort to demonstrate that I have read at least three books on running, let me share with you what Jack Daniels has to say on this subject and why the others who selected choice b are correct.  Daniels maintains that ideally we should run at 180 steps per minute, no matter the speed!  And he also says that elite athletes run at 180 steps per minute (and by the way that is 90 left foot and 90 right foot, which makes it far easier to count) no matter what they do, jogging or racing, and the difference between jogging and racing for them is simply stride length.  So if this question were asked of Daniels, he would tell you to maintain the cadence and shorten stride. 

My answer is I have no freaking idea.  I can run slower when I need to, and find any pace, or run faster if I need to.  I will also add that I have run for years with people who are "Poor Johnny One Note" in that they have one pace and it never varies.  These people seldom race well.  I will also add that they don't run every day, so in every run they are always fresh.  I run daily, so I know the difference between fresh running and fatigued running.  Why don't you wait til you are fully recovered, and can run more, before you mess with this question. I am so happy about your excitement about biking by the way.

KS, you are recovering nicely.  Well done. 

Today I ran 16 miles, my best since the surgery.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    9. May 4, 2009 4:58 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Pretty cool Ribz running 16 miles.

I got beat last Sat. by one of my running partners.  He's not been training a lot but he is just naturally faster than I.   His last Boston was in the low 2:40's.   Ran with him this morning and I think we both played some mind games on our 5.75 mile frisky run.  Anyway; looks like it came out a draw which is a win for me.  6:55 pace in 80 ° 89% humid, and just a slight breeze.

Have a good day all.

Aug 14, 2007
    13. May 4, 2009 9:15 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Okay Fred - so you want to run 140 miles in a week.   Why did you choose that number over 130 or 150?   Is this an arbitrary goal you've set for yourself or does this lead to something else?

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    14. May 4, 2009 9:24 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks, Fred. I appreciate it. I was concerned that I would not breathe well at 1,200 ft. altitude. I got there a day before, though and camped out and did a 1 mile slow run to kind of get acclimated. I guess it worked. Packs of howling coyotes outside my tent kept me awake, though, so I didn't get to sleep until they moved on, at around 1-2 a.m.

They gave me a beer mug for my age group award (I came in 1st), but I don't drink, so maybe I can use it for something else. Lauren, what can I plant in it?

I still have to find out my chip time, and as soon as they post it on Cool Running, I'll be a happy camper.

Paul

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...