Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14355 Views 108 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 7:45 PM by Jim24315 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Previous Next
  • rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. May 8, 2009 6:58 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: May - 50 Plus Training and Racing

I haven't checked in here for a while, so a belated thanks to all who responded to my pacing question.

I finally saw the doc who I wanted to take over my BP care, and he immediately told me to stop taking the beta-blocker -- said he'd never prescribe that to his active patients, and especially one at my level of activity. I feel better already, and just had the best run this morning that I've had in a couple of months. Ran the last couple of miles at sub-9, feeling better than just a few days ago when I was struggling to run low 10s.

This may also take care of the pacing issue, which might not have anything to do with stride vs. turnover.

• Imgellin Legend 512 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    46. May 8, 2009 1:19 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I ran my 9.24 mile tempo run today, and I was a little stiff, but not too bad. I did it in 1:22:23. (As I have written before, I am trying to keep the entire run at an 8:00 pace). As long as I understand why a run went the way it did, I am happy. Oh well, it was an awesome run, with a nice, warm headwind of about 5 mph coming out of the west on the way home.

K.S: Sorry for the exaggeration. Your accomplishments are awesome, but so are everyone's.

Paul

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    48. May 9, 2009 9:05 AM (in response to fred-urie)

14 ez but sweltering miles along the ocean front.  2:01:00   Our biggest race of the year is nexxt Saturday. Beach to Bay in honor of military.  26.2 mile 6 person relay.   Running on a masters team that should compete for top 3 placing in a time of about 2:40 or so.  Should get a good race from S.A., Ft. Worth, and Houston teams.

good running all.

• Imgellin Legend 512 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    49. May 9, 2009 11:25 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Did you say in honor of the military?

Aug 14, 2007
    50. May 9, 2009 1:45 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Paul - Yes.  Check out this link.  http://www.beachtobayrelay.com/   This year we are up to record number with 1950 teams of 6 at last count.   Also this year we have 63 teams signed up to run for a unit of 63 soldiers in Iraq.  Their unit came out of CC.  We sent them Beach 2 Bay t shirts and they will run a much smaller race the same day to be  a part of our big race.   One member of each of the 63 teams will wear one of the runners in Iraq names on their bib during the 4th leg which runs thru Naval Air Station Corpus Christi.   All members of the 63 teams will wear an special id bracelet ( something similar to the Lance Armstrong livestrong bracelet) as well.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    51. May 11, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Looking forward to seeing your relay covered in "Inside Texas Running."  Do you get that publication KS?

A bit of a messed up weekend for me, what with company at the house and a big reunion dinner to attend.  So I got in 8 miles yesterday (Sunday) and so far 2 today while waiting for a conference call.  I'm headed out later for a bit more work.  I need a good core workout today.  Raining here.  Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    52. May 11, 2009 3:15 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hi back to you Lauren...

It looks like everyone's running really well here, congrats. to all.

Last week's total was 31 miles with a long run of 12 on Sunday.  I'm trying to stay light on my feet, which is nothing more than having your feet "flick" the ground, but I have to pay attention or I fall back into old habits

Anyway... good runs everyone...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    54. May 12, 2009 9:21 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi Rich and Paul

Rest a bit Fred!

Ribz - I read that running journal on line - mostly for results.

Mon. 5.75 miles in the a.m. at tempo pace.  3.75 ez p.m. miles

Tues. 7.25 miles at 8 min pace.

Where are our ladies?

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    56. May 13, 2009 5:02 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I am not yet at all adapted to heat and humidity.  But it went nuts here today in Dallas and it was my track day. I bombed, curtailing what was supposed to be 6 x 800 (200 recovery) and just doing 4 x 800.  I don't mind however, as I figure if in every workout I do my best til it makes no sense, that is a pretty good way to train.  More for me tomorrow!  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    57. May 14, 2009 5:07 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Back from a 4x4 four day camping trip to the Death Valley National Park highlands at 7,000 feet. It was cool and beautiful in the pinyon pines. Last week was mostly 5 mile days until we left on the trip. I felt sluggish on all those runs.

Saturday I walked 5 miles with our dog on the dirt roads in the mountains. Sunday I took the day off, figuring I needed the rest since the previous week felt like forced running. My hamstring, though better, still bothered me a bit.  Monday I walked three miles. By Tuesday, I was itching to run, so I felt I'd gotten the rest I needed.  So that day was 3 easy miles at work (all I had time for). That run felt sloppy, though. Yesterday was much better--4 miles at the track after work. I didn't feel the hamstring, and would have gone farther if not for having my dog with me in 80 degree heat. 

Good day everyone.

Aug 14, 2007
    58. May 14, 2009 2:12 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi Sierra - glad you're back to join us.

Tonight we will stuff almost 2000 race packets for our big race Saturday.   They set up a large number of tables in a large rectangle.  Then volunteers grab a numbered bag and walk around the rectangle while vendors put in t shirts, race notices, race baton, and etc.   We can do all that in a couple of hours.   It will take from 10 a.m. till 8 p.m. Fri to get them all handed out to the teams.   It is very well organized and a pretty good social event.

Today ran 6.5 miles at 11:30 a.m.  Heat index 94 and steady 20-25 mph South wind.  We are turning back into a desert down here.   One of our older brick church bldgs is cracking so bad from no rain for the foundation that we may have to deem it unsafe for use!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...