Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14370 Views 108 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 7:45 PM by Jim24315 Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. May 15, 2009 8:14 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: May - 50 Plus Training and Racing

What a contrast twixt Fred and I.   5.75 miles so slowly.   80° and 90% humidity.

stuffed just under 2000 race bags last night in 2 hours.  Going to our mini expo shortly and handing out said race bags.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    61. May 15, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to fred-urie)

After laboring through, and not finishing my goal in Wednesday's track workout (4 x 800 instead of 6 x 800), the next day I went to the Y indoor track and ran 5 miles with the final mile 14 seconds faster than my 800 goal pace.  Shows what an air-conditioned building will give you!

4.5 slow today and the same tomorrow.  Hoping for LR Sunday. 

Always great to read of volunteerism.  Good for you KS.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    62. May 16, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Sounds like you'll be having fun at the race today, KS.

Spareribs, hope you have a good long run Sunday. I'm planning on a long one tomorrow, the first since the race three weeks ago.

I had a nice surprise when I ran at work yesterday. For the first time in a while I began running a standard 4 mile route (which I had abandoned when I got the Garmin, to run other new routes). This time, because I had the Garmin, I didn't mind stopping at ba usy intersection and then continuining down a dead-end street. I rarely ran down that street in the past, and this time I explored the dead-end. It turns out there's a short dirt road route past the dead-end, over railroad tracks, and to a street that dumps me far out to another favorite running area. This new route creates a big, fairly quiet, and interesting (lots of different terrain, turns) loop (five miles). None of the other routes from work are as nice as this one. Who would have known? I felt good on this one, an inadvertent, wave run with quarter mile wave crests of about 9 minutes per mile, and valleys of 10 min per mile or slower.

Off to see the new Star Trek film for a second time. Good day all.

Aug 14, 2007
    63. May 16, 2009 2:28 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Sounds like good exploring Sierra.

Our Beach to Bay relay was a success.   Fleet Feet of CC won oa with a time just over 2:17.   My team (fleet feet faster masters) finished 3rd in our division but better yet; 15th oa. in 2:47 and change.   Got to me Kyle Hefner waiting my leg.  He was one of our 1980 olympic marathoners (2:10) who didn't get to compete due to the boycott.  He's won Whiterock marathon a couple times, was 9th at Boston in '81 or 82?   Ran some international competition.  Now runs he says about 25 mpw.  He doesn't look like a race horse but obviously still runs well enough.  Still wearing his olympic ring and it's the first I've seen.   Didn't even know they received a ring.

have a good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    64. May 17, 2009 3:52 PM (in response to fred-urie)

KS, that is great!  I have a buddy who won White Rock twice in the 80's, 2:17 or thereabouts. He's now late 50's and wins all the local AG stuff and a good guy.

Spurred by Sierra's encouragement I ran 20 today at about 9:44 pace.  I was fine until 18 and slogged the final two.  But it was a huge mental and emotional lift for me, just under 9 months from my surgery.  I felt like I have moved past some sort of distance barrier, and these LR's should go easier from here on.  Spareribs

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    65. May 17, 2009 5:26 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I guess we all should get a washing machine pump transplant if it allows one to go 20 miles with ease!

This is my best weekend in a while.  Friday I ran 4 miles and a bit at 11 min pace in the morning, and then dragged out the kayak for a 2 hr paddle in the early evening.  Saturday was a total down day, but today I ran 5.5 miles with no pain or soreness whatsoever.  I think all the serioud stretching (20 to 30 min per run) is helping, plus the day off to recover.  I think I'll keep running on alternate days until I get my legs back up to the 2 hr range at least once per week, and then maybe start running 'tweeners again

I've scheduled my annual medical for late June, including the treadmill stress test.  It will be interesting to see how much fitness I've lost.  I was running today about a minute slower than normal for my heart rate, so I suspect my stroke volume is reduced somewhat.  

Dec 14, 2007
    66. May 18, 2009 9:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

2.2 slow recovery run on grass.  No aches or pains anywhere.  Full flex and core workout afterwards.  190 ab crunches.  Working my way up to 200+.

Tigger, I have never done any kayaking, but I would assume that's a pretty good aerobic workout if you keep moving all the time.  Is that how you approach it?  Spareribs

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    67. May 18, 2009 5:12 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I find kayaking to be a good low HR aerobic workout.   Last year we spent a week on a large lake and averaged about 15k per day, with high of about 22k.  A good pace would be about 4k per hr.  I can go for hours at that speed after a few sessions to toughen up the hands and shoulders.

I wasn't planning to run today, but I did my usual stretching and walking warmup.  Then I felt good enough so I went out and ran a couple of miles.  Nothing special, but it felt good.  No soreness or pain.  Later in the morning I went for a 5 walk, and the right hamstring tightered up, but it's OK now thanks to a lot of extra stretching.  I guess I should stick to running!

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    68. May 19, 2009 5:22 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

A good 20 mile run, Spareribs!

Sunday was 9 miles for me, five of which were a steady uphill, about a thousand feet of gain overall. I took a turn up a street that climbed further into the hills, adding extra elevation to my usual long course. I ran slowly the first five miles at 10:30-11mm. With about two and a half miles left, on a flat, I decided to pick up the pace as I would when my legs are  tired at the end of  race. So, that was 8:22 for almost a half mile. The course turned uphill again at that point, so I didn't pick up the pace again. Everything felt fine. No hamstring tightness at all afterwards. It was a beautiful run in lifting fog and very few people up and about. Saturday was 4 miles on the track--felt good. Upper body workout afterwards. I did a two mile walk yesterday.

Aug 14, 2007
    70. May 19, 2009 8:59 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Had short but nice run this morning about 7 a.m.   It was only 60 degrees, just a hint of breeze, and medium humidity.  Turned out to be a 5.25  mile progression run.  Beginning with warm up mile at 8:09 and finishing with a 6:49.   Felt good and not terribly taxing.  I think maybe I'm over my marathon finally.  Will run an ez 3-4 miles tonight.   Want to keep weekly mileage up around 50 mpw thru July.

Have a good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    71. May 19, 2009 2:36 PM (in response to ksrunr)

This weather is awesome in TX right now, like San Diego.   You enjoying it KS?

Still feeling fine, but I know my old body is still tired.  Did another 2.2 on the dirt so I can be somewhat fresh for track tomorrow.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    72. May 20, 2009 5:50 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs - weather only 63 degrees this morning.  Won't last much longer.   10 ez miles in the hills @ 8:10 pace.

Dec 14, 2007
    73. May 20, 2009 5:59 PM (in response to ksrunr)

KS, we'll get some work in while we can.  8.5 for me today, wrapped around 4 x 800 and 2 x 1000M with a 200 jog rest. Pretty happy with it as I am still a bit tired from Sunday.  Progress is there always, but it is slow.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    74. May 21, 2009 6:25 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Another pretty good morning weather wise here in S. TX.   Temps were low 60's but humidity more than made up for it.  Yet, I was still "dry" when I finished and that is always a good day here.   5.75 ez and will run about the same distance with some harder effort tonight.   Plan on running a little small town 5k Sat morning to see where I'm at.

Where did all our posters run off to?

laters,

ks

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...