Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13929 Views 108 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 7:45 PM by Jim24315 Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    76. May 22, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: May - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Hi allAfter only walking two on Monday (I didn't get much sleep that dayit's a challenge to run on days when I don't get much sleep the night before), Tuesday was 4 miles at work (plus two mile walk) and Wednesday, also a work run in that nice long loop, 5.6 miles with a three-mile walk.

Yesterday was 3.5 miles at the track and two mile walk. These were all good runs-easy, and no fatigue. The weather has been mild all this weeklow humidity (typical for CA), and mid-70s when the fog burns off. It's going to start heating up where I live, which is inland from the coast. When that happens, I'll have to run early in the am before work, or run at work. I'm not much of a late afternoon-evening runner, though I enjoy running then. I'd rather get the run done before that and relax in the evening.

KS and Spareribs, it sounds like you both have good temps to run in now too. Fred too (I think you live in a northern clime, right?).

This has been a busy work week ahead of the long weekend. We've been trying to figure out a place to backpack with our golden retriever--his first backpack (with a doggy pack). We want this hike to work well for the dog. But, the weather's not cooperating for any of our options. Too warm in the nearby mountains, and possible thunderstorms in the eastern Sierra. I'm packed up but there's too much tossing and turning about options, and last night our dog threw up. My bet is that we'll stay home, which I wouldn't mind. It's our anniversary today as well, our 7th though I mark our anniversary from the year we met, which would make it 11 years.

I'm off for a 4 or 5 mile run this am. I hope you all enjoy the long weekend, and have good runs.

Dec 31, 2008
    80. May 22, 2009 8:54 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, thanks for posting that info about Martin Rees. Amazing.

I just finished a 4 mile run, slow, on the dirt track, in the fog. One other person out there today--I typically don't see anyone else running on this track when I'm out there. So, if we stay home and I run tomorrow, it will be 33 miles for the week.

I've noticed my daily average comfortable running pace has decreased by about a minute per mile since I began running long runs again. At some point, I'd like to begin a regular speed interval session during the week, one that's not imbedded in the run but a stand-alone session.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    81. May 22, 2009 1:41 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

That guy Rees is amazing-its odd how people seem to age at different rates, not just athletes but visible in a cross section of the population. My sister-in-law, as an example, walks with a stooped posture and tiny steps, like an elderly woman, at age 57. Rees must be an example of the opposite, like my father-in-law, aged 91, still drives and fully alert. Odd, isn't it?

My training this week has been non-existent due to hospitalisation, death and funeral of a close family member. A bad month for running, but that's life! Still lots of time to prepare for my October race, and any others I may do are just for fun.

Suddenly hot (or at least by comparison) around here-72F today.

Should have mentioned the photo is from the finish of my recent half, too small to be much use, but a very rainy event.

Simon.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    83. May 24, 2009 2:15 PM (in response to fred-urie)

No running this week, but that doesn't mean no exercise.  I'm still stretching for 20 to 30 min every day, and doing a lot of walking at incline on the treadmill.  Today was a good example....stretch for 10 min, 20 min at 110 HR, 20 min at 137 HR and 20 min at 162 HR on the TM.  Then stretch for 10 min again.  Saturday and Friday were the same, but on Friday, after the walkies we headed out for a 3 hr kayak trip down a nearby river.  The river was mainly Class 1 to 2 rapids, with a couple of areas that might be considered 3.  We were using new inflatable boats...had a blast!!  Saw a newborn moose calf with its mummy on the shore, but could not get a good picture.  The calf could not have been more than a day or two old.

Today the weather is gorgeous here in the mountains!  Temps are mid teens with not a cloud in the skies!  I saw 5 black bears, 3 moose and one deer on the way into work this morning.  The shiftboss says there is a griz hanging out on one of my favourite run roads, so I may go for a walk later in the evening to get a pic or two.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    84. May 24, 2009 3:22 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred - that's a lot miles!   My achilles would be barking at me if I ran that many.  53 for me this week.  Thanks for info on Mees.   My little brain can't fathom that type of talent at his age.  Makes me want to train more - not less.

Simon - too sorry for your loss.

Hi Tigger and Sierra and Ribz

Did Paul and Euphie sign a pact of silence?

Have had to real rains this week and threatening weather tonight and suppose to get more next weekend.  Maybe we've finally broken our drought pattern.  Hope so.  Now we'll have mosquitos the size of bees.

My 71 y.o. running friend just completed his first Comrades.  He's done ultra's for years all over the world and even held some records for age but never got around to comrades till this year.  He was afraid he wouldn't beat the cutoff time but finished well under.  You can google him by Don Winkley

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    85. May 25, 2009 9:26 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Simon, I am sorry for your loss.

Tigger, what an interesting post.  If someone told me there is a grizzly on my running route, rather than go out to take a pic, I would find  a different running route.

KS, two of my friends from my club just finished Comrades, the woman in 10 hours and change and the man in 11:19 or thereabouts.  One guy missed the 12 hour cutoff by one second!

I am declaring myself healed from whatever troubled my back. I ran 5 yesterday and 5.4 today and then did a full flexibility set this morning with no discomfort, so back to normal running tomorrow.  Spareribs

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    86. May 25, 2009 10:09 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Thank you all for your sympathy.

Fred take it easy on your knees, do you use chondroitin or anything?

Ribs, I understand the first person to cross the line after the cutoff becomes a 15 minute media sensation, all that effort, and no official result!

My daughter lives in Zimbabwe, used to be an excellent cyclist and did some 6 day bike races called "Sea to Sky" or similar, in the Cape Town area. Team event, on steep hills the stronger team member uses a short nylon rope from the saddle post of the bike to help tow the weaker by the handlebars.

Jacques, I would stay away from bears, esp. in the spring.

Simon.

Dec 31, 2008
    87. May 26, 2009 7:04 AM (in response to SimonnR)

Hi Ribs, KS, Simon, Fred, Jacque, Rich and all--Jacque, I love your description of your mountain home and all the creatures nearby. Sounds beautiful. Did you get your shot of the griz? I've only seen one once (or I should say his backside) as the train I was on passed through Glacier National Park.

My husband and I ended up going backpacking this weekend to the local mountains. It was warmer than we thought it was going to be--about 80 at 5,500 feet. Fortunately, our trail was along perennial creeks except for about a two mile section (which was a roasting climb over a ridge). We had to lift our dog over several big logs blocking a narrow ridge trail, but he was a trooper. Our trail led to several beautiful deep pools called "The Fishbowls." On Saturday afternoon, we heard a very loud double boom, and realized the space shuttle must have been diverted from Florida and was on its final approach to Edwards Air Force Base in the CA desert.

On Friday afternoon, before we left, I ran four miles, and hiked another 5 or so to our camp at the confluence of two creeks (one dry). We encountered red ants or fire ants (we got bitouch), heard mountain chicadees, quails, and doves. The area has been partially burned but there was a lot of new growth. Saturday, we hiked only about a mile uphill to a campsite shaded in pine trees next to the creek. Sunday we hiked out 8 miles, and I was fairly pooped at the end. I didn't run yesterdayI went to the track but didn't have the energy. I'm going to leave work today in the early afternoon and go for a 5 or 6 mile run. Tomorrow, I'm traveling all day to a meeting south of Los Angelesif I run it will be in the evening. Some days are like that-all day road trips make it difficult to run.

Good day everyone--

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    89. May 26, 2009 7:40 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra - I will have to miss today's run. Raining this morning and really didn't NEED the miles. Tonight a meeting I will have to exert much self control. May HAVE to run after that if it's not too late. But you sure get your money's worth when you do get out!!

Nice workouts Fred. Still would like to run with you sometime.

Yesterday ran 10.4 miles. First 6 at 8:15 to 7:50 pace with a small group. All but 1 stopped for water at mile 6. When we finished he was almost out of sight. I knew what I had to do. Catch him in the last 4.4 miles. He stopped for water at the 1.5 mile mark and waited for me. It was going to be close as I was visibly gaining on him. Good workout for both of us as he was trying not to let me catch him.

More rain today. Drought may be finally broken here.

eta: my friend who just completed comrades ran a time of 10:53.   He is wearing his medal proudly and says he's never going to take it off.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...