Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13727 Views 108 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 7:45 PM by Jim24315 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. May 27, 2009 6:20 AM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: May - 50 Plus Training and Racing

It's so true, KS, that going out for a run in the evening after a long day is well worth the push to do it. I've always felt so much better afterwards, and glad I did it. My day trip isn't until tomorrow--and, I'll probably get home in the early afternoon (I learned yesterday). So, I won't go home first but just head for a run.

It's frustrating to be kept from running by a work trip (airports, jet lag) or weather and such. When I travel, I try to bunch up my days of running so that the day I travel is a scheduled day off. A few years back I traveled to Eastern Europe for a graduate school program and it was back to back flights for 24 hours straight. On one of the legs, I had a several hour layover and I ran just outside the airport, up and down the length of it. I carried a small daypack and got some strange looks. The most difficult stretch of mostly nonrunning was a drive across the U.S. after 9/11/01---I was in DC at the time and a co-worker and I decided to drive back to California. It took us 4 days and I only ran once, I think, 3 miles on a TM. I think I gained a few pounds on that trip back.

I ran 4 miles yesterday at the track, easy 9:45 mm. Little sleep the night before, or I would have gone farther. Walked a couple of miles as well. It's only in the 70s here and beautiful. I'm thinking about the Santa Clarita marathon in November--it's mostly flat, I think, and close to home.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    91. May 27, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to fred-urie)

After taking yesterday off; I had a good run of 10 miles in the hills this morning.   We always stop at mile 6 for gatorade and regroup.  This morning the first 6 miles began at an 8 min mile and then we progressed down to low 7 min.   From 7 thru 10 we again did progression from 7:47 to 6:50.   Very pleased with those times considering the early hour, hills, and humidity.  It was only 74 degrees this morning but humidity was 97%.   My shoes are drying now in front of the fan in the garage. 

Have good runs all.

Aug 14, 2007
    93. May 28, 2009 7:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

"Texans are tough".   Another way to say that might be "not to bright sometimes".  

Raining this morning again so this tough Texan went back to bed.   Felt good to sleep in for a change.   Will try for a tempo of 6 miles tonight.

Dec 31, 2008
    95. May 28, 2009 7:02 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I feel fortunate that I've never had to run much in high temps and humidity. It definitely takes more out of you.

4.5 miles today at work on the strawberry fields loop (they are mostly harvested now so I'll have to give this loop another name soon A good run--felt like I was flying kind of day, most of the way.

Where are our friends here? Seems to be a bit quiet.

Have a good night everyone.

Aug 14, 2007
    97. May 29, 2009 10:16 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Careful Fred.  That's what Forrest Gump said.

7.75 ez miles in the rolling hills this morning.  The race I thought was last Saturday is tomorrow.  So we will go see what kind of shape I'm in.

Good runs all

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    100. May 30, 2009 9:21 AM (in response to fred-urie)

For some reason I had never heard of Derek Clayton- what a punishing training regimen! Australia and New Zealand had some great runners in the 1950's and 60's, milers particularly.

I have done very little running over the last month, just a few tempo runs, lots of excuses I won't bore you with for now.

A local 10k tomorrow appeals to me, hilly loop course, but cheap to enter and close by, so I may give it a try. After that I will get down to training for my half in October.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    101. May 30, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Simon, the thing with Clayton at Antwerp when he ran the 2:08 and it was such a big deal is that years later people tried to say the course was short.  It was a very fast course and by then no one knew where the exact start and finishes were.  He didn't take kindly to this kind of talk as you can imagine.  It was  a huge record at the time.

Since my track workout of Wednesday I have just run a couple of days easy, and tomorrow I will race a fiveK just to see about where I am, because I like to use that info to adjust track paces.  Maybe I will do this at 8 minutes a mile.  We'll see.  KS is getting worse weather than I am.  He is down south in TX on the Gulf of Mexico where it gets very hot and humid.  In North TX where I am it is 72 degrees in the morning all this week so I am pretty comfortable.  People don't run in the afternoons here in TX unless they are crazy.  I ran 36 miles this week with no long run.

KS, you inquired on KR about SS and where she is going.  She is loading up that van she bought and spending the summer just driving around the U.S. and Canada and visiting friends.  She will see Millbot in Utah, and WJ, Glider, Lad and others in Portland.  She just doesn't want to say too much.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    102. May 30, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks Ribz for update on SS.  She writes too cryptic for me to understand most of the time.  Good luck on your 5k tomorrow.

Simon - good luck on your 10K.

Did my 5k this morning sans any type of timing device.  Ran purely to race and not worry about time.   Finished 4th oa. in 19:08.   First was 16:40.   @nd was 18:54 and third ?    The 2nd and 3rd guys were high school boys.    Gaining on them but just couldn't pass them when they felt my presence.  Race them two a month ago and much closer today even with a slow time.  Heat and humidity horrific this morning.  Race was a charity for a volunteer fire dept.  It was their 1st annual and they did a good job except for starting the race at 8 a.m. instead of 7.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    103. May 31, 2009 9:21 AM (in response to fred-urie)

"Spareribs, we'll give you a ten minute handicap."  

"Thanks," I said.  "I could use it!"   So I paid my money and went over to talk with my friend Terry who is a member at the Lake Grapevine club and he starts telling me about the handicap they gave him. 

I said, "Wait a minute!  This is a handicap race? I thought that guy was kidding me."  

So of course they have in their db my previous times at this race which I ran after surgery.  I think my first race there in November I ran a 10:24 pace, and eventually got it to 8:37 pace, but then ran another 5K elsewhere at an 8:32 pace.  I could have gone back and changed it, but I didn't when my two AG enemies, Scott and John showed up and I learned Scott, who is way faster than I am now, was given 9:45.  I have no idea what John's was.  Had this been any other race but the Carrolton race I would have immediately gone back and adjusted for my current best 5K time, the 8:32 pace, because my goal today was to run it in 8's.   But this race is very low key. Everyone gives back the trophies for example, and most of us are just competing with our AG friends.  I thought no more about it since Scott's handicap was so large and I figured overall they were probably about right..  We get some high school speedsters who run it in 16 minutes. 

So Scott and I and a few others hang around a bit after I did my 2.2 mile warm up and needle each other about handicaps.   The Saint ran to the race from the house, about 3.7 miles away and her plan was to run home after the race.  She got an 11 minute handicap.  So the race starts and they send people off in groups and there is all this catcalling of "CHEATER!" and stuff like that, aimed at the earlier groups to go off. 

When the big clock face counts down to 11 minutes off goes the Saint, and I follow one minute later.   At about 3/4 of a mile I passed her and she kindly mumbled "SANDBAGGER!" as I went by.  As I was running alone I had no idea what my pace was but I was determined to run this race in 8's and also not to go out too fast, so I was pretty pleased to look at my watch at one mile and see 8:08.  I was VERY comfortable at one mile. 

And I was comfortable at 2 miles with my 7:44.  So now all I had to do was pick off the slower people who went out ahead of me, and I got the last guy at 2.5 miles.  I ran just steady and fairly comfortably the rest of the way with no one near me, 7:59 for the 3rd mile and a kickless 47 for the final tenth and 24:39, or 7:57's for the race.  

Now here is the part I feel bad about.  Instead of the normal scoring with AG trophies etc. which is what I thought it would be, they gave a $25 gift certificate from a local running store!  I figured later on that if I had gone back and given them a more realistic predicted time before the race that I would never have won, but I didn't realize how they were going to do the awards.  They have never given prizes before.  The 2nd and 3rd place winners got running socks.  Of course had I done that, Scott would have won and he sandbagged almost as bad as I did.   

I ran the course again to cool down and when I came back Scott and some of my friends were sitting in camper chairs drinking beer.  We talked about that scene in "The Sting" when Doyle Lonigan, after losing at cards to Henry Gandolph, complains about not being able to tell Gandolph that he was a better cheater.   I talked to the RD after the race and told him I felt bad about the prize, but he said only that he was very happy to see how my running improved and that he was happy to see me running so well, so that is something.   Spareribs

Dec 31, 2008
    104. May 31, 2009 3:00 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, congrats on running the race at a faster pace than what you had been shooting for. Very good. Strange thing, that handicapping.

It sounds like you got in a good nearly 8 mile run as well.

Friday was 3 miles with my dog. Saturday: 4 miles after work in the fog and gloom here (I like it, it keeps it cool).

Today was 10 and a half miles, slow, about 10:45 mm overall. I felt last weekend's backpack in this run. A good, long backpack, given that it uses many of the same muscles as running, impacts my running the week afterward. It's as if I ran a race last weekend. My legs were tired today at 6 miles but I just pushed on. I was determined to get in a long run, though I didn't plan for a certain distance ahead of time. I hoped for 10. During the run, I added a few hills, and the variety of terrain helped the fatigue. The last two and half miles were all downhill on my favorite part of this course, which I reversed on this run. So, it was under oaks on mostly deserted streets. A big dog nearly made me jump out of my skin, thoughhe was on a leash but was able to jump up on his owner's rock wall. He just appeared on the wall, growling, and for a moment I couldn't see the leash-he was too close for comfort. I've been bit before so I'm wary of dogs now when I run.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...