Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2676 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2009 4:55 AM by Imgellin RSS
cberger41 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2009 8:08 AM

How often should I run??

I am running in a 5 mile race in 7 weeks.  I ran 4 miles 3 days this week and walked the other 2 days.  I increase my distance by 1/2 mile weekly then run this distance 3-4 times and increase again.   Should I be running on my off days or is walking okay.  Is 1/2 mile increase okay?  I read about people running less 2-3 time a week and then twice that 1 day a week.  I am not really sure what I should be doing.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    1. May 8, 2009 12:54 PM (in response to cberger41)
    Re: How often should I run??

It depends on how long you have been running. How long have you been running? I think that if you are a fairly new runner, then you have a decent plan already: four mile runs, three times a week. Just make sure you sandwich those running days in between your walking days. Also remember to stretch out good on your walking (recovery) days. The best time to stretch would be when you come home from your walk.

What I did for my first six months was to run every other day, walking and stretching (yoga) on my recovery (in-between) days. After you have been running six months, I would suggest switching to a 1-mile recovery (slow) run instead of walking. You might try this now, but depending on your age and condition, it might work to your benefit or cause an over-use injury.

As far as increasing 1/2 mile every week goes.., I'd cut that back to a quarter mile. Since you are already running 4 miles, if you increase your run by 1/4 mile per week, you will be at your race distance in 4 weeks, which should be fine. Keep it at the same distance (whichever distance you are running) and focus on speed for the last 2-3 weeks before the race.

Paul

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    3. May 12, 2009 4:55 AM (in response to cberger41)
    Re: How often should I run??

You're welcome, Cara. Those one-mile recovery runs should help. Just remember to keep them slow. Also, make sure you warm up before each run, even before the recovery runs. (I walk around the parking lot and do a couple of slow, fifty-foot jogs). That's not really much of a warm-up, but I'd at least double that in cold weather.

Are you timing your runs?

Paul

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points