Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4800 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2010 8:43 AM by ckspores
HAMB Rookie 5 posts since
May 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2009 7:24 AM

16 or 32 GB?

Hi - I am totally new to the digital music world.  I am getting an ipod touch using amex membership rewards points.  I have enough points to get the 32 gb version, but I'm wondering if that's overkill?  Is it better to get the one with more gb, or would that really just be wasting points/$$?  Do any of you with a 16 gb or less device wish you have more space? Thanks!!!

• zookeeperrunning Legend 229 posts since
    Aug 8, 2008
    1. May 11, 2009 11:51 AM (in response to HAMB)
    Re: 16 or 32 GB?

HAMB,

I purchased an ipod touch for my teenage daughter for Christams with 8gb, she has not complained once about not enough gb's. She has several hundred songs on it as well as games and movies!! I am totally confident you would be satisfied as well!!

KEEP ON RUNNING!!:)

Carey

• ErikaatOlin Rookie 7 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. May 25, 2009 8:51 PM (in response to HAMB)

I have a 8 gb ipod touch, but I use an ipod shuffle for running.  I find carrying something like an ipod is enough to make me hold one arm differently from another while running, which can make me get uncomfortable pains in my shoulders.  The shuffle is so lightweight I barely notice it clipped to my shorts, and it carries more than enough music for even my longest runs.

• Gary Blake Pro 82 posts since
    Feb 17, 2008
    3. May 26, 2009 1:16 AM (in response to HAMB)

Hamb,

If the cost is affordable I would suggest you go for the 32gb iPod provided it is not too big for you to use comfortably when you run.

I would also like to introduce you to my website at run2rhythm www.run2r.com

Here we have music that is specially composed for runners and is rated at different beats per minute that link to running times and paces.

Downloading music form the site is easy and fast. let me know if you need any help or advice

Good luck with it all.

Regards

Gary Blake

Founder run2rhythm

• RachelGZ Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    4. May 31, 2009 7:36 PM (in response to HAMB)

Two things:

1) 16gigs is enough for most people. That'll hold songs (thousands), movies, photos aplenty. But if you'll have lots of videos, documents, or photos go for the 32.

2) Strongly consider an iPod shuffle. Personally I think the big iPods are too heavy to run with comfortably and I've seen a couple running friends' iPods bonk out because the repeated impact of bouncing while running isn't good for it. iPod shuffles hold enough for a run and are super light and not very expensive (especially if you save a bit of money with the 16gb Touch version.).

Enjoy!

• kloud9 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    5. Jun 1, 2009 6:20 PM (in response to RachelGZ)

I completely agree with Rachel.  I've been through three iPods in the past three years of running.  Don't drop too much cash on a single iPod. (If you're like me, you'll subject it to constant bouncing, all types of weather, an occasional dropping, and even misplacing.)  My current iPod is 8GB, and there's room for hundreds of songs and podcasts.

• Tel0004 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    6. Jun 25, 2009 9:09 PM (in response to kloud9)

16 gigs is 3500 songs.  32 gigs is 7,000 (or at 3 minutes a song 14 days worth of music if my math is correct.)

I think 32 gigs is overkill.  Even if you had 32 gigs worth of music, putting all of it on makes the shuffle featureworthless (IMO, because you don't really like a lot of the songs, so you are always skipping ahead), and navigating throught the artist is a pain because there are soo many.  Get the 16 gig, and save the points for something else.

But if this is going to be used just for running, the shuffle is better IMO.  I just set a play list before I go, and once I hit play I don't have to touch it until I'm done.

I own the touch and shuffle, and the last time I used the touch for running was the day before I got my shuffle.  My touch holds 8 gigs of music, and I only have about 4 gigs on it, even though my music library is much larger.  Since I only have songs I really like, I usually use the shuffle feature, and almost never have to skip a song.

EDIT:  BY recommending the shuffle, I recommend the 2nd generation.  Its 1 gig and it will hold 10 hours or music or so.

The 3rd generation shuffle is 4 gigs, but there are only controls on the headphones, which means if you switch the headphones (which you probably will since the stock headphones will not stay in when running, you will not be able to switch songs and volume.

If getting a shuffle Get this:

Not this:

• t341 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 3, 2009
    7. Jul 26, 2009 8:54 PM (in response to RachelGZ)

I bought the new 4 gig iPod shuffle.  I returned it for another when problems arose and finally traded it in for a 16 gig nano.  The problem is that the new controls are on the ear plug cords and they get moisture and start mal functioning.  see the shuffle forums on the Apple site for many similar comments.  The hew shuffle would be an ideal running player if they work out the bugs.

• Jasesolo Amateur 20 posts since
    Aug 4, 2009
    8. Aug 4, 2009 2:19 AM (in response to t341)

I have iPod shuffle 1Gb, i bought it about 2 years ago, it was ok. I mean is still working but now i would to get a new bigger one.

• swarovski Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    9. Mar 3, 2010 12:33 AM (in response to HAMB)

I think 16GB is enough for most people.Good luck with it all.

• ckspores Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009
    10. Mar 8, 2010 8:43 AM (in response to HAMB)

I am the proud owner of 3 iPods.  I have a 30 gig video, an 8 gig touch, and a 2 gig (4th generation) shuffle.

I hardly use my video iPod anymore because compared to the other two it is really heavy and large.  I only use my touch when I'm doing treadmill work or doing a C25k workout (because that is where my app is stored) but it is my everyday, non-workout iPod that travels with me to work, on vacation, etc.  I find that 8 is plenty for me.  I don't use it for video but I do have photos, music, audiobooks, and podcasts on it and I haven't even come close to my limit.  I wouldn't spend more money on more space unless you are positive you will use it (and most people don't need it).

As for my shuffle:  my 2nd generation died so I was forced to purchase a new one.  Since I couldn't find a new 2nd generation from a dealer that I could trust I sucked it up and bought the 4th generation.  The complaints are true.  The headphones stink, the location of the controls in inconvenient because it is hard to reach and I was sweating on it (right by the ear) and it wasn't long before I was annoyed.  What did help was picking up an ipod headphone adapter (mine is Belkin but there are a few different brands).  It moves the controls down by the shuffle and allows you to use your own headphones.  So far so good.  It was the only thing that saved my shuffle for me (which is a shame because the size and clip-on feature make it awesome for running).

5/16-Brookfield Zoo Run Wild 5k
    6/19-Warrior Dash
    6/27-Rainbows Summer Sunset 10k
    9/5-Batavia Half Madness
    10/31-Sycamore Pumpkin Festival 10k
    11/27-Schaumburg Half Marathon Turkey Trot

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points