Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11300 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2009 7:00 PM by boldpacemusic 1 2 Previous Next
Anastasia72068 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2009 5:38 AM

Running music? newbie to running here.

HI! i'm verrry new to running. just started about a month ago. i'm training for my first 5k in july. i'm up to about 2 miles now and i run really slowly, like a 9 minute mile. which is fine by me as long as i can make it running the whole 5k! anyways - anyone have some good tunes that help keep them going? i need some new stuff. thanks!

• AlannaBruns Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    1. May 14, 2009 6:07 AM (in response to Anastasia72068)
    Re: Running music? newbie to running here.

My favorites are Untouched by The Veronicas, Live ur life-Rihanna and I'm Alive by David Cook. Good for u with the "newbie to running". I'm pretty new too. Been running for almost a year now...started with Marine Mud Run, then Turkey Trot and recently the Twilight Run in Charlotte...good luck!

• HurricaneW Rookie 2 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    2. May 14, 2009 4:12 PM (in response to Anastasia72068)

I don't know what music you like, but Lady GaGa "Just Dance" and lots of Gwen Stefani songs and Guns N Roses "Sweet Child O' Mine" are my favorites. Just remember to have fun, sounds like you're doing great!

• Louise gaynor Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 22, 2006
    3. May 14, 2009 6:31 PM (in response to Anastasia72068)

Hi Anastasia

I like you wanted some good music that would help and improve my slow running style. I found mixes of music designed just for running on run2rhythm.com website.

I have improved my times and  find in addition to mainstream music I incorporate their music as well. Good luck ...Wiz

• Christy McC Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009
    4. May 15, 2009 8:54 AM (in response to Anastasia72068)

My favorite running songs:

I Summon You - Spoon

Stranglehold - Ted Nugent

September - E,W&F

Hollabeck Girl - Gwen Stefani

Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar

Naked Eye - Luscious Jackson

That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

I listen to "Lose Yourself" by Eminem before every race for motivation - it's awesome for getting me psyched up!  I just started running more last year - don't worry about starting slow - that's the way to stay injury-free.  Keep it up and good luck!!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    5. May 15, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to Anastasia72068)

I have a pretty eclectic list of music from Deep Purple, Nickelback, Miley Cyrus, Flo Rida, and lots of alterntive stuff from Itunes.  Depends on what I'm running.  I do fast paced when i want to run a good pace or slower paced music for long runs.  Music helps me maintain my pace and keeps my head focused.  I'd suggest a good mix that you can get lost in.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• kevinbfre Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2009
    6. May 15, 2009 12:23 PM (in response to Anastasia72068)

Hi,

Sounds like you are doing great.  My favorite running songs are: Wake Up by Arcade Fire; Call to Arms by Angels and Airwaves; Where the Streets Have No Name by U2; Mr. Brightside and Read My Mind by The Killers; 180 by Summer by Taking Back Sunday; Existentialism on Prom Night by Straylight Run.  That will get you through a 5k at 9-10 minute pace.  Enjoy and keep running!

• DaveReyne Amateur 31 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    7. May 17, 2009 5:51 AM (in response to Anastasia72068)

Anastasia,

Finding appropriate music to run with is very difficult and time consuming. I would strongly suggest to take a look at the music websitre http://www.run2r.com/

It has music specially designed for runners and you are able to plan your running around the beats per minute that enable you to run at certain speeds.Have a look at the following page to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.run2rhythm.com/Technical+linking-bpm-to-running-speed-usa.aspx

Did you know that there are over 1 million songs published and recorded every year. It is impossible almost to choose the right music for running. That is why I am a great believer in the run2rhythm concept.

Good luck with it all.

Dave

• wineteacher Amateur 14 posts since
    May 8, 2009
    8. May 17, 2009 10:18 AM (in response to Anastasia72068)

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. I  wanted to keep a good pace (I'm even slower than you) and wanted tunes that were consistent in pace, which can be hard to find. I ended up on a site called Mp3running.com. I downloaded some running tracks. 2 are 30 minutes and one is 45. 2 of them have a coaches voice to get and keep you going. It is universal because you control your pace by the length of your step. I ABSOLUTELY love them! They are not overboard, the coach does not talk all of the time but it is VERY motivating as there is a rhythmic, driving beat and she says things like "you have strength.....you have power". I used it to train for my first 5k and probably will never run without it.

p.s. If I remember correctly, they were buy  and get the 3rd free. $16.95 for all 3 and well worth it for me.

Good luck and have fun. I agree not to worry too much about your pace, it will halp you stay injury-free. Listen to your body.

Sherry

• Shredks Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 30, 2008
    9. May 17, 2009 9:02 PM (in response to Anastasia72068)

Check out the Just Music forum and look for the post "favorite running songs".   There are over 200 posts in that thread and a lot of good suggestions.

• TriRunnerSyke Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 15, 2009
    10. May 18, 2009 8:38 AM (in response to Anastasia72068)

People have suggestions about running music, but ultimately it should be the music that motivates and moves you to go that extra mile. So it's mostly personal prefrence in my opinion.

• pandarunning Amateur 10 posts since
    May 20, 2009
    11. May 20, 2009 6:54 AM (in response to Anastasia72068)

I run to anything in the Top 40 charts. I love running to Lady GaGa, Shinedown, OAR, J-Pop, Daughtry.etc...

• jalibbe Rookie 2 posts since
    May 20, 2009
    12. May 20, 2009 1:19 PM (in response to Anastasia72068)

I have quite the eclectic mix. I like some super fast then some not quite as fast, which helps if you start doing intervals, which can help you gradually increase your speed.

I have some Prodigy(Firestarter), The Hives (Walk Idiot Walk), The White Stripes (Seven Nation Army), Beck (Nausea), Jay-Z (99 problems), Justin Timberlake  (Sexy Back) and Madonna. (Hung Up), Kaiser Chiefs (Never Miss A Beat), Iggy Pop (**** For Life), David Bowie (The Jean Genie).

Good Luck!

• Gary Blake Pro 82 posts since
    Feb 17, 2008
    13. May 24, 2009 5:44 AM (in response to jalibbe)

Anastasia,

It's great that you are running and the key to it all the improved fitness that comes with running plus the enjoyment.

If you would like a suggestion for some music I would suggest that you try some music by Andrew Batterham and Nick Charles from my website.

I am not sure as to what appeals to you but this is music specially composed for running and has beats per minute that match your paces.

Starting out I would suggest you start with music between 150 and 156bpm. You can also vist our technical page at

www.run2rhythm.com/Technical+linking-bpm-to-running-speed-usa.aspx for guidance.

Regards

Gary Blake

Founder run2rhythm

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    14. May 24, 2009 6:32 AM (in response to Gary Blake)

Gary.....seriously, dude, I'm getting tired of you shilling on this forum!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...