Skip navigation

2085 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2007 5:26 PM by low 'n slow RSS
breedlj Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2007 6:01 PM

1st Triathlon Bike

Dear Active Members:

I am a 35 year old male who has run 5 half marathons, but I want to move into the world of triathlons.  I need to know what is a good first triathlon bike to purchase?  I also wanted to know what size would be good for someone is 6 feet tall.  Any help or advice given will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Breedlj@hotmail.com

• andy mn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 31, 2007
    1. Aug 17, 2007 6:16 PM (in response to breedlj)
    Re: 1st Triathlon Bike

FIND A TRI STORE THAT WILL FIT YOU ON A BIKE. WITH A TRI BIKE YOU NEED TO BE FITTED SO YOUR NOT WASTING ENERGY ON THE RIDE. ITS MONEY WELL SPENT..

• reiuribe Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 18, 2007
    2. Aug 18, 2007 7:24 AM (in response to breedlj)

Go to a bike or triathlon store to get fitted. Buy a triathlon bike, don't let them convince you to get a road bike and put aerobars, the frame on a tri bike is different than a road bike so you'll have less cramps when you run, believe me the premium you pay on a tri bike is money well spent, otherwise you'll get a road bike and later on would like to upgrade to a tri bike.

• low 'n slow Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 16, 2007
    3. Aug 18, 2007 9:07 AM (in response to breedlj)

You may want to consider a bike with variable frame geometry like a Softride. I use a different seat position for bike touring than I do for Triathlons. You would also gain the advantage of a suspended beam which protects your back, dampens vibrations, has reduced aerodynamic drag, etc. Remarkably, they are not all that expensive and I see them on eBay fairly often. The design makes them about a pound heavier than a comparable road or tri bike, but I've more than compensated for this by getting aero/light wheels (Rolf Vector SL).

Now if I could only get out and ride some more !

Best of luck with your search. 

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007
    4. Aug 18, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to breedlj)

I was a runner, new to biking when I got ready for my first tri. For budget reasons, I started out with a Trek hybrid that was just under $400.00.  It is suitable for training and for sprint distances, but that is about it.  While it served its purpose, I am now looking to get a real tri bike.  Most of the ones I am finding are anywhere from $1600 to $4000.  Ebay and craigslist have alot of used tri bikes listed also, but as andy mentioned previously, professional sizing at a reputable bike shop can make a world of difference.  Good luck.

• Anthony_All3 Legend 237 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    5. Aug 19, 2007 9:07 AM (in response to jinja)

If you haven't already, check out the Felt S-32, a great entry level tri-bike that is not too harsh on the pocket book, they retail for $1349.00 brand new and has alot of the newer technologies associated with them like: 

WEIGHT

20.4 lbs.

FRAME

Felt 7005 Superlite custom-butted aluminum frame with aero seat tube with cut out, aero downtube and A style seat stays. Externally relieved integrated head tube, machined bottom bracket, forged dropouts with replaceable hanger and internal brake cable routing

FORK

Felt Airfoil carbon fiber fork

DRIVETRAIN

Shimano Dura-Ace 20-speed Bar-end Shifters, Ultegra Rear Derailleur and 105 Front Derailleur

WHEELSET

Shimano 500 wheelset with aero spokes, Vittoria Action HSD folding tires

COMPONENTS

Felt Aluminum base bar with Profile Aerolite extension bars, Felt 3.3 3D- Forge Aluminum Stem, Felt 3.3 Saddle with Carbon Injected Base with extended rails, Felt Alloy Seatpost with dual positioning adjustment, Dual Pivot Aluminum Brakeset with Koolstop Cartridge Pads, FSA Gossamer Mega EXO 2-PC Crankset with External BB and 53/39T for 700 and 55/44 CNC 7075/T6 Aluminum Chainrings

I purchased on of these bikes this year and absolutely love, plus theres tons of room for upgrades, instead of having to buy a whole other bike.  Check out the following link for bicycles from Felt  http://feltracing.com/products/default.asp?catID=18,20

Hope this was helpfull

• low 'n slow Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 16, 2007
    6. Aug 19, 2007 5:26 PM (in response to breedlj)

Without question, getting a fitting at a Triathlon bike specialty shop or better yet a coach that can do a fitting while you're biking (like Paul Fabish) is the way to go. However, if you're willing to try eBay, you can have a close friend (it involves measuring your inseam) measure you. Airborne used to do all their business mail order and had a good fitting guide. You can pick up a copy of Zinn's triathlon bike book or find another good fitting guide. Armed with your measurements, you may be able to take advantage of eBay.

Once you get a bike, you can go to a guy like Fabish who will tweak every single aspect of your bike, not just to your size but to your comfort and skeletom uscular flexibility (can you guess mine ain't very good ?), and give you some awesome pointers as well. Money extremely well spent.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points