Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19833 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2010 8:36 AM by preggorunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Digler Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 2, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to spiked00)
    Re: Reactions to the book: Born to Run

I accidentally posted this in the "cool running" forum a few days ago, but I think it's more appropriate in this thread:

I recently started reading some of this barefoot running stuff, and the book "Born to Run" by Chris McDougall, and I have owned a pair of vibram fivefingers for a few years. So, I gave it a try...

Running barefoot (or with minimal footwear) is GREAT! I'm a slowpoke normally, (10:00 to 10:20 or so per mile), but my first run with the VFFs was 9:30 per mile! It is really noticeable how little mass is on your feet with VFFs. I stupidly did 3.1 miles on my first run with them... and blistered my feet in a few places, and I'm still fighting that issue, but the callouses are coming in nicely. The main issue is a seam inside the big toe and second toe on my right foot that rubs too much. I've done six runs so far in them, and really like it. I have always had crazy strong calves (like an upside down Popeye), so I may have an advantage, but I'd like to encourage folks to read more about it, and maybe give it a try. I expected it to be hellish, but it is really fun... just go short on the first few!

Update: I recently ordered a pair of the KSO model of VFFs (my original pair are Classics). While they seem to overall fit more snugly (I used the sizing chart on Vibram's website), my 3-5th toe slots seem too long. My Classics don't fit this way. I'm going to wear them around the house some more and see how they feel, but I can't order smaller - the big toe and second toe fit fine.

• PaigeFelker Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 9, 2009
    16. Aug 13, 2009 11:31 AM (in response to joeyverville)

I loved loved loved Born to Run.  I loved reading about the Tarahumara and the stories of all the great ultrarunners. I'm not a ultra runner but I have been running much more after reading this book.  

I got a pair of fivefinger sprints after reading the book. The underside of my big toe had been hurting for a couple of months. It wasn't unbearable, but not comfortable, and it has completely gone away after running in the fivefingers for 3 weeks. My calves were very sore after the first couple of runs but they haven't hurt since then. The longest I've run in them so far is 4.5 miles. I can't make myself put on my old running shoes, so I'm trying to build up longer distances so I can wear them in an olympic distance tri next month. I don't wear the socks with them, but I might when it gets colder.  I've washed mine in the washing machine and let them airdry and i think they smell fine. I live in Texas and was a little worried about how gross my feet would feel in them in 100 degree weather, but they feel great! Better than they ever felt in running shoes. 

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Aug 18, 2009 3:09 PM (in response to PaigeFelker)

Christopher McDougall (author of Born to Run) will be interviewed on The Daily Show this evening (18 August 2009). Just thought folks might like to know.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Aug 19, 2009 2:46 PM (in response to dwm082)

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• simplytruly Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    19. Aug 21, 2009 12:18 PM (in response to Active Toby)

I would love to try the VFF's....but i have Very high arches......and my right arch falls once in a while. not a big deal i tape it for a day or so then i'm fine. advise for a high arch girl wanting to go barfoot with minimal pain...?

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    20. Aug 28, 2009 8:32 AM (in response to joeyverville)

Speaking as a total n00b who read the book, I have to say the book is awesome.  I just started the C25K  program yesterday, barefoot.  I'm 280 lbs, 38 years old and the biggest thing I took from it was the JOY that should be found in running.  It reminded me of the days as a kid when we would run and play manhunt in the woods all day. 

Somewhere along the way  I fell into the trap  of thinking running was just to keep the weight down and  be healthy. It was just a necessary drudgery  which I was "lucky" to be too fat and big to be able to do safely. I had my "out"  because every time I tried it I hurt and my doctor said,  "your body isn't made for it"

But reading about the Raramuri, and Scott and Ted and Caballo  and Billy and Jenn.... and then following up with websites of some local trail running clubs near me... I see FUN. And I want in!

To me, THAT is the greatest message in the book.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• treeherders Amateur 7 posts since
    Mar 24, 2008
    22. Sep 2, 2009 6:19 AM (in response to joeyverville)

I am about one third of the way through the book and I find it fascinating.  I mostly do road races but occasionally I will train off-road.  I think this book is good for any runner, not just trail runners.  The book has made me think about what little running the American population actually does.  We don't  grow up using our legs for transportation the way that people from countries with good endurance runners do.  The legendary running coach Arthur Lydiard believes that this is the reason that the US hasn't been successfull in longer distance races.  We just haven't built the same foundation.  Another thing that caught my attention is how the tarahumara elders are still able to run and climb canyons late into their lives.  They don't set the same limitations that we do when it comes to age.  I hope to be like this when I get older.  Retiring and settling down is just a state of mind.   

• slcekala Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    24. Sep 4, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to joeyverville)

I have this as an mp3 audiobook (I have a long commute and use audiobooks a lot, and Born to Run was one of the less expensive ones I found that was rated well).  I'm a new runner (have been doing it for only a couple of weeks) and I absolutely LOVED the book.  It wasn't the reason I decided to start running, but the information in there was very interesting (especially since it's nonfiction) and I found the discussions of injury rates, barefoot running, diet, and anthropological data very compelling.  Also, if you look up the author on youtube, you'll find related videos - some of Caballo Blanco during/after one of the. U.S. races - and some with related content (though not related to the book).  One I found last night was a video that a professor or doctor had made that showed the exact same runner on a treadmill with & without shoes (frame by frame next to each other) and it was just amazing.  I'm not interested in running barefoot, but I do have more of a minimalist approach to running shoe selection now than I otherwise might've.  But then, I'm new, and admittedly ignorant. 

Sherry - age 32

Linden, VA

Aug 30, 2009
    25. Sep 4, 2009 11:28 AM (in response to Digler)

Digler,

Do you like the Five Fingers?  I only heard of them through the book and I'm kind of on the fence about them.  I'm a VERY new runner and my usual terrain is probably best described as "trail" when selecting shoes.  Truth is, it's mountain roads comprised of packed dirt with gravel (not inches and inches of cushy gravel on top - but mixed with the dirt after years of compression and repeated grading). 

I remember walking on gravel barefoot at the pool as a teen and it was an "OW OW OW OW!!!" experience that I'm not anxious to experience again.

Sherry - age 32

Linden, VA

• Digler Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    27. Sep 6, 2009 2:29 PM (in response to joeyverville)

Here's more followup on my VFFs.

I started running in my VFFs (Classic version) at the end of June. I stupidly didn't take it easy - just did my usual 5k run like normal. That caused a fair bit of blistering, and the front pads of my feet felt pretty abused. But the running part of it was great - my feet felt really light (duh), and generally it felt more fun.

I kept doing it, just building up more blisters/callouses, and finally ordered some Injinji toe socks to go with the VFFs. That eliminated the blister problem completely. I still haven't gone more than 4 miles in them {embarrassing to post that in the ultra forum!! }, but I'm sold (I typically run 5k 3 or 4 times a week, so my mileage is currently pretty low, but I'm about to start ramping that up for a half).

A big change I have noticed is that when running with my ASICS (forgot what model), which were properly fitted at a local running shop, I would have some knee discomfort after running, and occasionally sore hips. I haven't had any soreness whatsoever in knees or hips since running in VFFs. My feet do feel a bit "worked" after runs - but this is akin to the feeling in your hands after using hand tools all day, not anything pathological.

I have also tried two other models of VFF - I tried the KSOs, and the Sprints. The KSOs didn't fit - the fabric on top of my foot felt way too tight and uncomfortable, following the fitment guide online (and bigger would result in toe beds that are too long). The Sprint model has a funky heel compared to the Classics - the vertical piece is less substantial, and there's a whole lot of strappy action back there. I'm going to send them back and just go with another pair of Classics... I've never had any trouble with the Classics falling off (but I don't really use them in the water).

For what it's worth - the VFFs seem damn near indestructible - I've had them for 3 years, taken them on hikes in the Sierra, go running in them, and have even (stupidly) put out a fire with them. The sole was undamaged (it's Vibram), but it still got hot as hell on my feet!  They also did get some serious stink when worn often without socks, but the washing machine took care of that, and with the socks, they don't reek anyway. Newer models allegedly have some antimicrobial junk going on.

Oh - and I'm down to 9:00/mile and still dropping.

So, yep, I love 'em!

Aug 30, 2009
    28. Sep 7, 2009 7:15 AM (in response to Digler)

Thanks for the reply, Digler!  I appreciate the information more than you know. 

I have a pair of Saucony TR2 trail running shoes I bought exactly a year ago.  My thought then was that I was still hiking, but I was mixing running intervals in and I figured I should probably have a pair of true running shoes (my hiking shoes are by Merrell, and I swear by them.  Most comfortable shoes i've ever owned - no break - in, and I can wear them all day many days in a row with no pain and little / no fatigue).  Anyway, they were about 2 years old and I wanted to mix in a newer pair and figured I should get a running shoe to "protect" myself.  I just walked into Famous Footwear, picked out a pair I liked, and bought them.  They're comfortable for general wear.

Fast forward a year.  I've finished Born to Run, and I've just decided to start running on the C25k program.  I go down to my local Target and bought a pair of Champion running shoes.  These things are a special kind of ugly and remind me of the 1970's.  They were a whopping $24.  Virtually no cushioning - just a basic insole -but no extra springy heel or gel or air stuff.  Just a very basic shoe.  And I pledged that this would be my running shoe (because I'm not willing to try barefoot at this point).  I ran in them once, then the next time in my Sauconys.  What I found was that it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to run in Saucony shoes the "right" way - with a midfoot strike instead of a heel strike - without pain.  And it took a lot of focus and concentration to even try it.  Somehow my body naturally knows when I'm wearing those comfy spongy things that my heel should go down first.  And to do it differently in those shoes, for me, is impossible and causes pain.  But when I run with my cheapo, minimalist, ugly Champion shoes, it's a simple matter to land properly and I have no pain (except for the usual muscle stiffness that comes with exercise and is very minor).

I attached a couple of pics of my (dusty) champions that illustrate what I'm talking about.  Also, anyone who's on the fence about running form, go to youtube and watch this video: 

In case the link doesn't come through, it's by njsportsmed and is titled "Is it the shoes?  It's gotta be the shoes."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...