Skip navigation

4206 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2009 10:03 AM by victor m rodriguez RSS
billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
Dec 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 19, 2009 6:33 AM

Run leg  in sand.

My next tri has it's run run leg on a beach.  Besides running in sand, how else can I train for running in sand.  Will hill work help?

Bill

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 19, 2009 7:02 AM (in response to billprice005)
    Re: Run leg in sand.

hill training will make you stronger so maybe but when running try to run on the wet sand it's more compacted and your foot won't sink in as bad the soft stuff. good luck and ahve fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    2. May 20, 2009 11:55 AM (in response to billprice005)

That sounds like fun! I was on the crew team in college & we'd go to Florida for training in the winter. When the water was too rough, we'd run on the beach, which was great. Sometimes my ankles/calves would get super tight though from running on the slight-angle.

The trifuel grou talked about running in sand. http://www.trifuel.com/forum/17236/running-in-sand

Runner's World suggests strengthening your ankles first with trail running & includes beach drills here. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-8164-0,00.html

Have fun training!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• victor m rodriguez Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 14, 2007
    3. Jun 1, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to IronMakeover)

Just get a pair of trail running shoes and run off-road, you'll get plenty of simulance to sand.....Be carefull not to twist an ankle by stepping on rocks......Victor Rodriguez, Las Vegas, NV

Attachments:
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 1, 2009 11:29 AM (in response to victor m rodriguez)

sorry to hijack the thread victor I'm heading to vegas this week for a couple days for work. if time allows I will train in town. what is the tri scene like in Vegas? can you swim at UNLV? any group rides/runs?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

• Erin Westberg Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    5. Jun 1, 2009 1:23 PM (in response to billprice005)

Having just completed the Madeira Beach Mad Dog triathlon in Florida this past weekend I can tell you that running in sand is 90% mental and 10% "fun".

1) The pitch of the sand near the water can be difficult to adjust to if you're not used to training on pitched roads. 

2) Run the route before the race to get a good feel for your pace.  Landmarks move more slowly when you can see beach for miles.

3)Bosu ball excercise will strengthen your calves

4) Technique- To enable your Achilles tendon and calf muscles not to fatigue too much during a long run on sand alternate, between hard and soft. Run near the water's edge (hard sand) for a recovery then push yourself through the soft sand (higher up on beach) on the way back. Elbow motion through the soft sand is very important as it maintains balance and rhythm, which allows you to glide through the soft sand easier.

Chances are pretty good that you'll run on both hard and soft sand.  The difficult soft sand will have you looking for toe-holds and tire tracks.  Remember that the sand is supposed to be scenic and fun.  Enjoy your tough training and have a blast in the race knowing you trained hard so you could race harder!

Oct 14, 2007
    6. Jun 1, 2009 1:34 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

Yes, we have a great tri club in town, check us out at: www.lvtriclub.com, explain what you'd like to do, someone will contact you. You'll be better off swimming at the Henderson MultiGenerational complex, Paseo Verde and Green Valley Pkwy. We have rides on the weekends, in fact, I lead most of them, you can certainly join us on Sat or Sun for a fast paced 60-70 miles trek. Happy to have you..................Victor

Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jun 1, 2009 2:23 PM (in response to victor m rodriguez)

sweet. i'll let you know how this shakes out

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

• Krista Edwards Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    8. Jun 21, 2009 7:23 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

You should do some stability exercises to strengthen the smaller muscles of your legs, as they will play a crucial role in your sand running. For example, try single leg squats, standing on dyna disc to do exercises, etc.

• CraigMcGray Pro 55 posts since
    Apr 16, 2009
    10. Jun 25, 2009 8:07 AM (in response to billprice005)

I live in Florida and we have a sprint series here that is done on the beach. The only trick is to train in the sand. Remember, train like you race.

-------------------------------------

My Triathlon Training Blog

My Triathlon Training Blog

Oct 14, 2007
    11. Jun 25, 2009 10:03 AM (in response to billprice005)

Try to do a few runs off road if you don't live near a beach. Another method is to place ankle weights to mimic the effects of deep sand...................Purchase a pair of trail running shoes, they're built lower to the ground, wider and with a more agressive tread.............Lots of luck and go HARD!!!........Victor

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...