Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1417 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2009 9:04 AM by christian runner '09
christian runner '09 Rookie 3 posts since
May 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 26, 2009 1:14 PM

I've got a food allergy...what should I eat?

I am allergic to tyramine.  It's a substance that's in a lot of foods such as:  bacon, bananas, cheese, yogurt, etc.  I'm training for my first marathon, and was wondering what foods I should eat.  I looked online for some suggestions, but I can't seem to find a "Tyramine-free runner's diet"....lol.  And it appears that a lot of the foods runners should eat contain tyramine.   Soooo...for all of those conditioned runners (who may hopefully also be a nutritionist of some sort) do you have any suggestions?

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007

Oh wow, how did you find out you were allergic to tyramine?  Do you suffer from migraines?  How is your blood pressure?

As for what you can eat, you actually do have a lot of options.  Here is a quick list of some foods to stick with and ones to avoid:

AVOID:

• aged cheeses - cream cheese and cottage cheese is ok

• beer, ale, red or white wine, vermouth

• canned meats, dried meats (i.e. sausage, salami, etc.), liver, commercial gravies or meat extracts.

• avocados, bananas, fava beans, figs, plums, miso soup, soy

• yeast

TYRAMINE FREE:

• fresh or immediately frozen meat, fish, poultry

• breads, pasta, etc (just check the label for ingredients to be avoided)

• fruit & vegetables (except the ones on the avoid list)

• eggs

This pdf document contains a more exhaustive list of foods to eat and those to avoid:

http://www.nmh.org/nmh/pdf/pated/lowtyramine-diet07.pdf

The first time you go to the grocery store it may take some label reading to make sure the products that you are eating are tyramine free, but once you establish a few reliable brands it should be a breeze!  The fresher the better so make sure to always choose fresh animal products and steer clear of the fruits & veggies on the avoid list. 

I hope that helps!  Let me know how it goes!

tara

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...