Skip navigation

5050 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2009 7:49 AM by thefirecat 1 2 Previous Next
Emily35132 Rookie 2 posts since
May 22, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 28, 2009 11:38 AM

Distance

How far is everyone running on your long runs? I'm only up to 6 miles going off the virtual trainer.

• Noskillzrunning Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009
    1. May 28, 2009 11:44 AM (in response to Emily35132)
    Re: Distance

I'm just in a maintance cycle right now so 8 to 12 on the weekend long run.

My sport is your sport's punishment

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    3. May 28, 2009 12:02 PM (in response to Emily35132)

Lots of formal training programs run 16-18 weeks before "goal" marathons.  16 weeks pre-MCM will be July 5th.  Peak distance for long runs is usually 18-22 miles (except for the Galloway 26+ crowd), generally run NO LATER than 3-4 weeks pre-race.  Most will encourage you to increase the length of your long run gradually, typically by 2 mile increments, with a stepdown every 2-3 weeks for recovery.  You have lots of time!

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    4. May 28, 2009 12:13 PM (in response to Emily35132)

Emily35132 wrote:

Awesome! This is my very first marathon...any tips?

Tips?

- Find a plan that works for you

- Follow the plan and get your miles in

- Try different things such as gels, gatorade/wateer, night-before food, breakfasts, .... throughout trining to see what works for you

- Come race day, stick with what worked fo you during training

- Stick around and ask questions.

Happy Running,

• wzrthnu Expert 46 posts since
    Sep 6, 2008
    5. May 28, 2009 12:35 PM (in response to Immer treu)

Immer,

What do you think of the Galloway 26+ method, I know it involves walking.  What do you think about running a very casual marathon for the 26+?  I am deciding now wether to do these longer runs, I am  not using the walking method in my training but am mimicking the Galloway plan for speed, patterns.

Shawn

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are correct" - Henry Ford

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    6. May 28, 2009 12:57 PM (in response to wzrthnu)

There are those who want their first marathon to be the white wedding of running, a blissful culmination celebrated before an appreciative and supportive crowd; the Galloway plan is NOT for them.  It is a reassurance for people who "need" to know that the distance is within reach or not going to kill them, a less stressful dry run.  It may not prove a good model for race day potential and can drain off resources needed on race day (especially if done too close to race day), leading to a slower or less enjoyable run than otherwise possible.  Some coaches note that race pace work in runs of 20-30k ( not that fast the whole run usually, more typically in surges or in a 4-8 mile segment) may do more to improve times than longer runs, with less risk of injury or delayed recovery.  Many European marathoners and some American elite runners avoid going over 30k-20 miles.  I know Galloway vets who really liked having the 26 -28 experience beforehand and several who thought it hurt them.  From the ultra side of the of the fence, it's funny how one can use "It's only a marathon" to push through a rough spot after doing several longer runs.  I doubt that ultras make many people faster marathoners, but the threat of THE DISTANCE sure fades when you know that slowing down is the worst thing that can happen.............

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. May 28, 2009 1:06 PM (in response to Immer treu)

I did 10 last weekend, and have a 10-mile race Sunday.

As Immer said, some people like the reassurance of doing 26 four or five weeks before the actual race. Many coaches feel that such a long training run is not worth the risk of injury and the extra recovery time needed. Most marathoneers don't train beyond 20 miles (or occasionally 22). (30K is about 18.6 miles)

Len

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    8. May 28, 2009 1:28 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I'll do 8 - 10 this Sat. my running group is in "maintenance" mode right now. We'll start building miles again in two weeks. My group is sponsored by a local running store. The woman who coaches it lays out the plans for all the races. The longest training run is 22 - 24 miles.

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    9. May 28, 2009 2:13 PM (in response to Emily35132)

Stick to your plan as much as possible, but be prepared to make adjustments and be flexible.

As far as longest run before your first marathon - I am with the 26 mile crowd 4-5 weeks prior mainly for the confidence it provides.  But you should get at least a 22 miler in before the race.

Soon, running less than 6 miles will seem like slacking off.

Enjoy your training and good luck.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• neilro51 Expert 54 posts since
    Oct 9, 2007
    10. May 28, 2009 3:17 PM (in response to Emily35132)

Received my MCM in training shirt yest. had double hernia surgery today and pumped to get back to my running schedule!! Anxious to get back to the distance running. MCM or bust!

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. May 29, 2009 6:35 AM (in response to Emily35132)

I'm also doing my first marathon.

I went with a plan out of the Run Less, Run Faster book from FIRST.  It starts out at 16 weeks I think, assuming your up to a 15 mile long run.  I'm using their 1/2 marathon plan to get me up to that point.  My current longest run is 12 miles.  Their marathon program has you running up to 20 miles on long runs.

Grace and peace,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    12. May 29, 2009 6:54 AM (in response to mikehelvey)

mikehelvey wrote:

I'm also doing my first marathon.

I went with a plan out of the Run Less, Run Faster book from FIRST.  It starts out at 16 weeks I think, assuming your up to a 15 mile long run.  I'm using their 1/2 marathon plan to get me up to that point.  My current longest run is 12 miles.  Their marathon program has you running up to 20 miles on long runs.

Grace and peace,

Mike

Mike, I'm glad you're liking FIRST (I may use it for MCM this year), but just to note for people who are unfamiliar with the FIRST programs, the idea is that you are the FIRST to the finish line. Therefore, the training is more intense than other programs.  My recommendation for someone who was a newer runner is to do a more basic plan that wouldn't require such fitness right off the bat. I love Hal Higdon's programs (free on his website). I usually do his spring training programs to get ready for  his marathon training programs. I would say that 6 miles, assuming you have an additional running base of a few days a week, is great for this time of year! Have fun

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    13. May 29, 2009 7:09 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat (and others) there is also a "FIRST Marathon" program: "The "FIRST Marathon" Marathon Training Program is designed for runners looking to complete their first marathon."

http://www.furman.edu/first/2006%20marathon%20training-first%20marathon.pdf

Len

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    14. May 29, 2009 7:43 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I stand corrected by the guru. Man, you're good.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...