Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

37218 Views 374 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2009 1:15 AM by DiscoBandit RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Previous Next
  • ahnniewantstorun Amateur 23 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jun 3, 2009 1:10 PM (in response to Fresian)
    Re: C25K, starting tomorrow.

Forgive my ignorance but what would it change - will it work the same just posting to a different thread? Is there a lot of rocket science involved...:8}

• eje66 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    46. Jun 3, 2009 1:52 PM (in response to ahnniewantstorun)

Just finished W1D2. It was HARDER than day one. But really proud that I did it. It's about to storm here and I was putting it off and off, hoping the storm would come before I had to run. Will power. Not my strong suit, historically.

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    47. Jun 3, 2009 2:24 PM (in response to eje66)

Good job on the run eje66!  Getting out the door is always the hardest part for me, I too have an issue with will power.  I am hoping that this board will help me feel accountable and give me some good motivation... seems to be working so far!

Ann- I am an oncology nurse.  I worked in pediatric oncology and bone marrow transplant for 5 years, then I switched to adult oncology, in an outpatient infusion clinic, and I have been doing that for the last 5 years.  I love it, and the strange thing is that I was sure that I would hate oncology.  My last clinical in nursing school was on the pediatric oncolgy unit and I tried everything to get it switched.  To my surprise I loved it, that was the only unit I applied to after nursing school.   I can't imagine doing anything different, it's a great fit for me.  When you find what's right for you, you will know.  Clinicals will give you a good idea of what you want to do and what you definitely don't want to do.

Jun 2, 2009
    48. Jun 3, 2009 2:34 PM (in response to IBmotivated)

Thanks, IB.  Agree that the site helps you feel accountable. I didn't want to be the one that just faded away after one posting. Now I feel good and want to keep posting during my journey.

• medstudent2 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    49. Jun 3, 2009 3:05 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hello everyone!

I completely get what you mean eje about not wanting to be left out of the group. LOL  I went to the gym today to do the W1D1 workout but after 10 min, I wasn't feeling too good, so I stopped and when did the stationary bike for about 10 min.  But after awhile of thinking, I really wanted to stay with everyone so I decided that when I got home, I would attempt the W1D1 workout again (I have a treadmill at home).

And.... I finished!  I was only walking at 2.2-2.4 and jogging at 3.8 - 4.0, but I did it.  This was an accomplishment for me because I haven't run in quite awhile, so I wasn't sure I could do it.  Even though I got through the workout, it really was difficult!  Hopefully, W1D2, on Friday, will be a bit easier.

What do you guys recommend for the in-between days; it's not convenient for me to pop in a workout tape.  Do you think semi-brisk walking on the treadmill for 20min is enough?

Also, kitapope, what's your email, maybe we could talk about working out together.

May 31, 2009
    50. Jun 3, 2009 3:42 PM (in response to IBmotivated)

Hey IB - that's funny - when i wrote that i have an idea or two about which direction i would like to go, the area i was thinking of was oncology - so GLAD to hear that you like it. That being said, i still am keeping a really open mind because you just never really know until you get there - at least that is how it usually is for me...but you make a great point - clinicals will let me know what i want and DON'T want to do...

May 31, 2009
    51. Jun 3, 2009 3:54 PM (in response to medstudent2)

Medstudent2 - you deserve major props for going back and attempting it again...and then DOING IT! It is too easy to quit and you didn't so YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't think that it matters how fast or slow you are going - i know that i am not setting any speed records -  at this point it seems way more important to just get it done - no matter how slow you have to go...go easy - do what works for YOU. Someone posted maybe yesterday - was it IBmmotivated? It was a quote - something about to go farther, you have to go slower... anyway, it is all about pacing yourself and what works for you...but again - give yourself super major props for not giving up and giving in!!!!!!!!!!! I would think that alone will inspire a lot of people!

Jun 2, 2009
    52. Jun 3, 2009 4:45 PM (in response to ahnniewantstorun)

Yeah, Medstudent -- that's amazing that you actually started the whole routine after the gym. Excellent will power!!! I'm hoping that the more I stick with this, the less will power will be required and it will become more of a habit.

May 28, 2009
    53. Jun 3, 2009 6:59 PM (in response to medstudent2)

Hey Medstudent, re: your question about activity on non-running days. 

Going back to a book that I can't recommend enough 'Running for Mortals', the author talks about running days, active rest days and passive rest days.  The running days are obvious- you run. The active rest days, you give your running muscles a break, but you still do some activity.  He recommends, biking, elliptical, swimming, rollerblading.  He actually says to do any activity except running or walking because you need to give those muscles a rest every other day so you don't injure yourself. Then passive rest days you have 1 or 2 times a week and you really don't push yourself to do any real work out so your body has time to recover.  Hope that helps!

Great job on finishing your W1 D1 workout!  You are on your way!

• JPH39 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    54. Jun 4, 2009 5:40 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Well W1D2 is in the books,went from 1.43 to 1.58 miles   So now after posting tuesday and a day of lurking in the post I feel accountable. Thank you for helping me. I am a 39 yr old dad of 3. my size 5'10" 249#  My kids range 11yr old girl, 8 yr old boy, 1-1/2 yr old boy.My family was relocated with my wifes job to central BF ohio.  I have been out of work for over a year and have been substitute techer in the interim. I have recently lost 30# and am 50#away from my goal. I played college lacrosse and after I set the stick down have been lazy.  I look forward to continuing the journey with you!

May 28, 2009
    55. Jun 4, 2009 7:15 AM (in response to JPH39)

Welcome JPH!! You are almost done with week 1, great job!

I finished W2 D1 today!! The first 90 second run, the front of my lower legs started feeling really tight, but I after the 3rd interval it started to loosen up.  I am so excited to be doing this and making progress! I am actually looking forward to running again on Saturday. I usually have to force myself to get some physical activity, but I feel so great about myself when I run, that I really like it.  Finally, exercise that I enjoy. 

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    56. Jun 4, 2009 5:42 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi everyone.  I just started the C25K last friday.  I'll do W1D3 tomorrow.  I was hoping to be starting W2 tomorrow but can't count one of my runs b/c my son was w/me on his bike (which he's still learning to ride w/out training wheels) and I really didn't get to run my intervals like needed so I'm not counting it.  I tried running about ten years ago shortly after having a blood clot in my left leg.  I got discouraged due to swelling from vein damaged caused by the clot and gave up.  About a year ago I was running 3 - 5 miles a day 4 - 5 days a week on a treadmill.  Just as someone else posted earlier, once I tried to run outside it was completely different and I got discouraged.  It's unbelievable the difference in treadmill running and running outside.  Now that I'm working fulltime it fits my schedule best to do weights at the gym and run in the evenings after my hubby gets home from work.  I'm determined to find the time and finish this program!  I would love to run a 5K this fall but don't know if that's rushing things.  I wondered if anyone changed up their diet at all to help with their running performance.  I'm not looking to lose any weight, just want to firm up.  I actually weigh 12# less now than when I became pregnant w/my 1st child however, due to lack of working out and no muscle tone I am bigger than I was then.  I'm glad I found this forum, good luck to all!!

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• serenadeofsound Amateur 29 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    57. Jun 4, 2009 9:48 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hello everyone! I couldn't have stumbled upon this thread at a better time

I just finished W1D2 - literally just got back from my run. Hard for my feet (I need better shoes and I know it) but I enjoy knowing that I've done it! I try to push myself a little bit more each time, run a little bit faster, make my form a little bit better. I've got a bad habit of giving up after a little while (d'oh!) but I'm hoping to beat that this time around. I'm planning on hitting my first 5k on September 17th, which should give me plenty of time to train.

A little bit about me. I'm a college student just finishing up exams right now and heading home for the summer in a week. I've always been overweight, but over the past 4 years I've become dangerously obese. It kind of snuck up on me unexpectedly, and now I'm a bit scared because I've tried to lose weight and get fit in the past with no success. I love watching The Biggest Loser, and when they ran a half marathon and then a full marathon, I was inspired to at least try for a 5k. I've never been a good runner, but I think mostly cause I never got in shape for it. My goal is to lose weight and be able to run the 5k without having to walk through any of it. I'm excited to give it a go, and I'm excited to go through it with all of you! I can't even imagine running for more than a minute or two at a time right now, but I know that will change in the future. I can't wait!

Keep on keeping on,

Serenade

• JPH39 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    58. Jun 5, 2009 4:37 AM (in response to serenadeofsound)

Serenade

Congrats! I've kept an eye on these boards for the last 3 yrs and finally begun my journey this week as well.

I too fought the weight battle in college putting on 100# and shooting up 12+ pants sizes in a 9 mo stretch of debauchary. I have struggled ever since to get anyof that weight off. It was alot more fun putting it on that trying to take it off.  My friends who have done major weight loss remind me that it took awhile to put on and it will take even longer to loose, but withtthe right diet I have seen a big difference and hope that adding this regiment to my unactive lifestyle will help push me closer to my goal!

Good luck on the finals!

JPH

• Fresian Amateur 42 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    59. Jun 5, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Serenade: congrats!

I just finished w1d3. Did 2.03 miles today in 30 minutes. That included 2 minute warmup and 4 minute cooldown. My speed varied greatly, anywhere from 6.1 down to 5.2. I couldn't keep the 6.1 up for very long. Yep I'm definitely going to be slowing down as the weeks progress.

Congrats to everyone who has finished, or will finish week 1 this week!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...