Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

38272 Views 374 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2009 1:15 AM by DiscoBandit RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Previous Next
  • jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jun 5, 2009 12:18 PM (in response to Fresian)
    Re: C25K, starting tomorrow.

Fresian,

I also just finished w1d3 and it felt better than d1.  I was wondering how you track your speed and distance, do you run on a marked course or can a pedometer or something do that for you or do you just figure it on your own?  I'm going to get in my car and drive the route I run in my neighborhood but my town has a walking path that I like to use too but it doesn't have any markers on it.  Thanks

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• kitapope Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    61. Jun 5, 2009 12:40 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Forgot to log in yesterday, but I finished W1D1 officially yesterday even though I started training on Monday....walking at 3.2 and running at 4.3. But tomorrow I'm on to W1D2. Wooo Hooooooo!!!! I'm excited about starting this and being committed to it because it will be a MAJOR accomplishment for me. I'm training for a 5K in September and I've already  registered for the race so its happening. I've been telling every friend, family member and co-worker that will listen. I need my community behind me if I'm gonna make it so every time I say it out loud it makes it a little bit more real.

Serenade...good for you!  I'm proud of you already. My weight has been up and down as well so I know how hard it is to get committed and stay committed. You'll get there. 

Jun 2, 2009
    62. Jun 5, 2009 12:55 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Also, does anyone know if there is any benefit/downfall to running on the treadmill vs. outside? I'm training for an outdoor race and I'm concerned that if I only train on the treadmill then I won't really be prepared for the race.

Thoughts?

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    63. Jun 5, 2009 4:17 PM (in response to kitapope)

My experience with treadmills is that they are nothing like running outside.  I could run 3 - 5 miles on a treadmill a year ago and tried running outside and couldn't make it a mile!  Talk about a downer.  If I were you I would only use a treadmill when it was the only way you can get a run in.

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    64. Jun 5, 2009 6:55 PM (in response to kitapope)

Kitapope, I totally agree with jennyren about the treadmill vs outdoor running.  Several months ago I had been running on my treadmill and was doing great.  I could run for 10-15 minutes at a time, I felt like a rock star... then I went outside for a run - Huge difference.  It was so much harder than the treadmill.  I think because when you are outside you have to actually haul yourself along, and on a treadmill you just have to keep up with the tread. I was so disappointed I stopped running, but now I'm back.  I would try to get some outdoor runs in as often as possible, it will prepare you much better.

On other news, today was not a running day for me, but I went for a bike ride with my family.  It was a perfect day for it, tomorrow I will tackle W2 D2!

• HDBaglady Pro 66 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    65. Jun 5, 2009 7:25 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi everybody, seems like a great group here and you are all starting about the same time. I will be starting on Monday.

I tried to start this on a treadmill about a month ago and I was having major difficuly with it. After lots of reading and advice on other sites, I had myself fitted for a pair of running shoes from a running specialty store and started walking outdoors. I had been at the gym, strength classes elliptical and treadmill walking. So I start walking to the gym (2 miler one way) and there is for sure a large difference. I have been doing this for a couple weeks. I feel I am ready to start, those shin muscles are in a better shape now. So if you all would have me I would like to check in here regularly.

I like many others here, am 45 years old, mother of two daughters ages 27 & 28. I have lived a seditary life for the last thirty years. Last year I was in a motorcycle accident and two weeks later landed myself a massive blood clot that went from my broken ankle to my belly and almost entered the main strem leading to my lungs/heart. Needless to say I am very lucky to be here. The doctors were able to clear out the vein but it is damaged forever so I constantly battle pitted edema. That is fluid that builds up in the leg between the bone and muscle. So I have to do more warming up before I can work out hard. I am real healthy now, I have since put an end to pre-diabetes and lowered my cholestrol to normal. I have been working out for 10 months now. For some reason I am interested in running. I too want to lose more weight and it just seems like running burns the most in a short period of time.

I will check in regularly, thanks.

• ahnniewantstorun Amateur 23 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    66. Jun 5, 2009 8:27 PM (in response to serenadeofsound)

First off - congrats Serenade!!! You are in the right place - you will find that a number of us have been working on losing those pounds and some still have a few more to lose so you are in good company....I lost 40 over the past year and want to lose another maybe 20..... I am looking forward to dropping those last 20 as I sure it will make running that much easier...

I feel like I am running in a pack as there are so many people starting off at the same time... I did W1D3 tonite and just felt really good... I did the brisk walk part at 3.9 and the run at 4.8...i have a feeling that as i get into week 2 the running time may slow down but we''ll see...

I think as others have mentioned that it is a little easier running on a treadmill - i do prefer to run outside tho - for me it is less boring...but that's just me....i ran inside today tho cuz it poured ALL day long...and i didn't want to melt...

Jun 5, 2009
    67. Jun 6, 2009 5:37 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

I had the same monsoon weather here too and got drenched trying to get home from the gym. I actually ran some, small spurts, approx 1/3 mile of the mile I managed to get in before my neighbor had to come get me. I don't need to get stuck by lightening!

I had a real hard time at the gym yesterday, I just couldn't seem to find the energy to push myself and get my heart rate up past 144. Has to be 1 of 2 things. I had takne the day before off for rest or I missed my pre-workout snack. I try to eat an orange and pc of string sheese before I workout. It just seemed like I really had to struggle.

Today is suppose to be sunny and I will get my workout in early to get it over with so I can spend the rest of the day catching up on yard work. Yuk!

I am excited about being a part of this group simply cause we are all just getting started. There are a lot of C25K threads out there on the www, but most have people who are further along.

Have a nice day everyone!

Bags

• JPH39 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    68. Jun 6, 2009 6:45 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

WOOHOO!!!! W1D3 is in the books!

Todays run was tougher for me than d2 I think I messed too much with the slant of the treadmill( this whole treadmill v running outside has messed with my mind). I logged 1.55 miles which was shorter than d2 and I noticed acouple times the treadmill seemed to be too fast for me and had to slow down my speed. Alright enough btchng, that which does not kill me only makes me stronger!!

Thank you for making me accountable and for the support given in the past week!

Now it's off to W2!!!

Good luck to everyone!

JPH

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    69. Jun 6, 2009 6:53 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

W2 D2 is done!  I felt great when I finished.  I will finish W2 on Tuesday and then I will be on to  W3!  I am going out bike riding with my family later today. 

Congrats on finishing W1 JP!  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• sassysandra Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    70. Jun 6, 2009 7:00 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

W1D1, W1D2 -- Hey everyone!  Y'all are doing SUPER!  My workouts were pretty good this week.  I was working hard but I'm trying not to over do it because I really want to finish this program.  I think slow and steady is better.

I want to run outside but I'm almost a little afraid to!  I know it's going to be pathetic.  I might wait until I work up to longer stints on the treadmill before I take it outside.

I did two days of strength training this week too.  Those workouts were not as effective as I expected them to be.  I used the machines at the gym and the last time I worked out with any regularity I used free weights at home.  I bought a decent set and a bench and it really was hard work!  I think I have to be brave and use the free weights at the gym too... where are the big smelly men are (no offense to present company).

Anyone have websites I should check out for weight lifting?  I need a refresher course in exercises I can do.

Going to get in W1D3 today or tomorrow.  Have a good week everyone!

Sandra

Jun 5, 2009
    71. Jun 6, 2009 12:20 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Everyone here is really doing great!! it is so motivating.

I just finished a 4 mile walk and I stopped in at the gym and did 30 minutes on the weight machines. I am pretty proud of my self I pressed 100 lbs on the ab cruncher and the leg press, I also ran a good bit and I must say I can go farther than last week. I know I not suppose to start till Monday and I will start the program on monday I just wanted to try and do a little. It's hard not to run when you really want to run. kinda like when giving birth you know when it's time to push and then they tell you to not push....as if.:^0

Well I hope you all are doing well today

Bags

Jun 2, 2009
    72. Jun 6, 2009 2:36 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi guys! Just finished W1D3 today. It was definitely harder than yesterday and I was drenched in sweat by the end but I made it! 

Thanks for all that replied to the question about the treadmill vs. running outside. My fear is that I will have a false sense of preparedness for the 5K with just the treadmill so I am going to take your advice and do as many of my runs outside as possible.

• Fresian Amateur 42 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    73. Jun 6, 2009 3:58 PM (in response to jenyren)

Jenyren: I run on the TM, so its easy to see what speed I'm running.

• give2live Rookie 4 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    74. Jun 6, 2009 5:06 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

HI,

I'm starting tomorrow.....I signed up for a 5K in August. I'm new to distance running altogether.....I'm a little nervous, but have always been drawn to it for some reason. I am 35 years old and had my first baby 8 months ago. This should be very interesting given the fact that I last formally exercised about a year ago. I had sciatica during my pregnancy and that is finally just resolving in the pain department.

I'm glad to find a place to communicate with other newbie runners......

Take care and have a good weekend!

Melissa

To conquer without risk is to triumph without glory.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...