Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

38370 Views 374 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2009 1:15 AM by DiscoBandit Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Previous Next
  • BlueDaisy Amateur 116 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Jun 9, 2009 7:29 AM (in response to jodigirl928)
    Re: C25K, starting tomorrow.

Hello folks!!!

Blue here, from Team WTF (the WITNESSES thread).  I just wanted to drop in and give you all a big CONGRATS for starting your own group and holding each other accountable.  That's probably one of the biggest things for us too -- we lean on each other and push each other along.  We made a pact that we would continue to post until the very last Witness crossed the finish line at W9D3.

GOOD LUCK to each and every one of you.  I really enjoyed reading your posts.  Keep on keepin' on!!  I'll drop back in every now and then to cheer you on.

-Blue

"How bad do you want it?"  --RunsWithWhales

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    91. Jun 9, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Week 2 is history!! I finished it today.  I am starting week 3 on Thursday.

I was feeling so lethargic this morning that I almost put off my run until tomorrow, but I am so glad that I did it!  I had an awful day at work yesterday and I couldn't stop replaying it in my head all night long... I hate it when I do that.  All night I kept thinking... maybe I should have done this...maybe I should have said that....   Super frustrating to watch the clock and not be able to turn your brain off. 

Enough of that, I had a great run, I am moving onto another week on Thursday!  Keep up the good work everyone!

• RunVikingRun Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    92. Jun 9, 2009 10:57 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi folks.  I just started the program yesterday, never having run before and I'm very excited.  I'm a 37 year old man.  Big guy - 6'1", 300#.  Going to take it slow and easy but bound and determined to hit that 5k run.  Looking forward to travelliing along with you all.

• Fresian Amateur 42 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    93. Jun 9, 2009 2:15 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi RunVikingRun! Welcome and tie your shoes on!

Today was a lazy day no gym, no running. It was my off day from running anyways, but I should have gone there and at least did weights.

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    94. Jun 9, 2009 6:20 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Yay, I did it!!  W2D1 is in the bag and it felt great.  It wasnt' nearly as bad as I imagined and I'm really proud of myself.  Keep up the great work everyone!

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• serenadeofsound Amateur 29 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    95. Jun 9, 2009 6:45 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi guys, and welcome to the group Viking!

W2d1 was supposed to be today for me, but has been postponed until tomorrow in favor of me not failing my econ final exam (which happens in just less than 14 hours.) I did walk a good bit, a brisk walk of a mile and a half or so to from my dorm to my new apartment, and then to CVS to buy some more energy drinks Even though I haven't started w2 myself yet, I still wanted to check in here and cheer on the other people who have just finished w2d1! I can't wait to do it myself. I feel so much better physically, but mentally I also feel like I'm taking my life back - like every stride is a stride away from obesity. It's a great feeling!

I remember someone a little while back asking about diet stuff. I've changed my diet, but more because I'm looking to lose weight than to facilitate my running. My basics are that I've stopped eating processed food. No white bread/rice or refined sugar/corn syrup, try to eat lean protein, and vegetables too. I've been doing pretty well so far, considering that it's exam week and so my schedule is off. Not to mention that I'm running on almost no sleep and consuming energy drinks like they're a food group all their own. I actually wrote a book on nutrition last summer based off of a bunch of research. Even though the book focused on nutrition for weight loss, a lot of the stuff transfers nicely. It's about being healthy, since healthy leads to weight loss and better physical condition at the same time.

Good job everyone!

• HDBaglady Pro 66 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    96. Jun 9, 2009 6:56 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hey everybody!!

I got my first day in. Got R Did! I do however need to give myself a longer warm up cause the first  three sets my bum leg was burning and then it got easier each set and my final 20 seconds was up a small steep grade hill. And sweat, wow! I was soaked.

After the session I ended up at the gym, I ellipticalled for 30 and then walked the 2 miles back home. Hrm says i burned 1345. It has been a great day!

Welcome Viking, looks like you and I are starting a closer together the the others. Glad you found us here, the more the merrier right?

So I was thinking maybe we ought to get to know each other a little....................how about we share what parts the the country we live?

I will start and add that my Name is Betsey and I live in North Carolina.

Hope eveyone has a restful night!

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    97. Jun 9, 2009 7:33 PM (in response to HDBaglady)

HDBaglady,  are you the one who just had a blood clot?  I had one about ten years back and still have problems with swelling in that leg when I exercise.  It typicallly goes down by end of the day but I know what you're going through.  Mine was much worse immediately after the clot occured.  Anyway, I was thinking the same thing about sharing where we are.  My name is Jennifer and I'm in Wisconsin.  I was also wondering if anyone ever experiences bad headaches while running.  I got a horrible one tonight about midway through my run but it cleared up pretty quickly once I cooled down.  My hubby says I need to drink more water.

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• ahnniewantstorun Amateur 23 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    98. Jun 9, 2009 8:01 PM (in response to serenadeofsound)

Welcome Viking! And hey everybody else...including the people who now have first names like Betsy and Jen...and everybody!

Just finished W2D2 - i DID feel sluggish at the beginning which honestly surprised me but things started to pick up after a while...anyway...walked an extra 2+ miles after for a total of 4.5...so overall feelin pretty good...

Serenade I just wanted to cheer you on and say that i know what you mean about taking your life back...I have lost 40+ lbs over the past year and I feel the same way - i feel like i was hiding underneath all that ...i saw one of my friends the other day and she said "You just seem more 'You'"....that was a really great compliment... so just know that I am pulling for you here - it is a great feeling and you deserve it - we ALL deserve to feel this good...and EVERYONE here is doing it - it is fantastic to see the way so many of the same people are logging in here almost every day and sticking with it.

Good luck everybody - keep running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Um, my first name is Ann...and I'm from New Jersey....

• RunVikingRun Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    99. Jun 10, 2009 3:27 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat folks!

Just did W1D2 - harder than I expected it would be but feeling really satisfied now that it's done.

I'm doing this to lose weight primarily and overall improve my cardiovascular health.  Mind you Week 2, 3, 4 etc seem like big hills to climb right now!

I'm from Newfoundland, Canada by the way.

• HDBaglady Pro 66 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    100. Jun 10, 2009 4:02 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hey Jen, That does sound like you need more fluid.

Remember ya'll the more we sweat the more we need electrolites. I have been having some dehydration problems lately and have read that when we sweat we eliminate the sodium in our bodies and as you know sodium helps us hold on to fluid so without it we will dehydrate faster. So, for my self i have purchased some gatarade but read in runners world we need a specific kind of gatarade for which i haven't have time to research. In the meantime I will drink a large bottle of it today.

Sounds like most of us are here and trying to lose weight. I have 40 left to shed myself. I have been working hard at it for 10 months now and the lose has stalled big time. I am starting to think that I may not be eating enough food casue my workouts have me burning in excess of 1000 cals everyday. So now I am trying to up my food intake during the day and keeping it simple and small at night so not to go to bed with a full tummy.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

May 28, 2009
    101. Jun 10, 2009 4:55 AM (in response to HDBaglady)

It sounds like everyone is doing great! Today is not a run day for me, so I am going to do the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred video (I must be a glutton for punishment).  It is crazy hard, but I feel like I really do get a good workout in when I do it. Since we are all doing introductions:

My name is Christie, I live in Michigan. I have a 5 year old son and have never quite lost the weight I gained when I was pregnant (pathetic, I know).  I have always wanted to run - it has always seemed like this unattainable goal, but now the forbidden fruit must be tasted.  Oh yeah, and I'm kind of a dork with a wacky sense of humor.

Tomorrow I start week 3, yay!

Aug 21, 2007
    102. Jun 10, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

Hi Betsey, Jen, Ann, Christie, and everyone else...

My name's Kris and I live in Massachusetts. W2D2 is today for me, and even though I don't feel too good (sore throat, the beginnings of a cold), I will make it to the gym today and get through the run and weights.

Why did I start this? To lose the post baby fat and get back into shape. And I know C25K works. I've done it before. It works better than any other runing program I've seen out there.

Now if only I could find a weight program similar to it!

For those of us trying to lose weight, I'd like to share a bit of advice my nutritionist gave me that I use religiously...."Don't drink your calories." I have my coffee in the morning and then its water all day for me. As soon as I stopped drinking my calories (Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, energy drinks, juice, etc), I dropped almost 300 calories a day off my total.

Kris

May 28, 2009
    103. Jun 10, 2009 5:55 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

Quick update:  Jillian Michaels is the Devil!

Aug 21, 2007
    104. Jun 10, 2009 7:49 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Christie:

Well, I did W2D2... 2.10 miles in 30 minutes at a 2% incline. Oh dear god I wanted to die during the last two sets. Then I went ahead and did some weights.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...