Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

37957 Views 374 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2009 1:15 AM by DiscoBandit RSS 1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next
jodigirl928 Rookie 33 posts since
Mar 6, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

May 30, 2009 3:51 PM

C25K, starting tomorrow.

I am starting C25K tomorrow.  Is there anyone else starting tomorrow?

• KilliansGal Amateur 40 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    1. May 30, 2009 6:14 PM (in response to jodigirl928)
    Re: C25K, starting tomorrow.

Hi Jodi,

Yes, I plan on starting tomorrow with my four legged child, Biscuit.

Looking forward to my "Runners High"

May 30, 2009
    3. May 30, 2009 6:32 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Oh so your getting a new puppy?  Good luck with finding a stroller for her.  Have you seen the movie "Marlie and Me?  Well I have a "Marlie" and he (Biscuit) needs exercise.  So have you ran before?  I did years ago although I never competed in any races or even signed up for a 5K.  I just did it at my leisure, I was in such great shape and now well.... not so much...I am going to give it another whirl and sign myself up for a 5k, maybe even a few.  Well thats my plan anyway.

• sassysandra Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    5. May 31, 2009 4:50 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

I'm starting Monday.  Should be interesting.  Will post about how it goes...

Sandra

• AllieRuns Amateur 21 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    6. May 31, 2009 1:54 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Posted this on another thread BUT they are all further along so thought I'd try here.

Started today!

Good Evening Runners!

I have always been mentally drawn to running for some reason. Tired to start a few times a petered out.

The idea of being able to just strap on some shoes and GO anytime anywhere appeals to me... as does the accomplishment of racing.

I have several friends who are BIG TIME runners (THE M word..yup thats 26.2).

I have made huge changes in my life over the last three years. I have gotten and stayed sober witha wonderful program called WOMEN FOR SOBRIETY and it has been life changing. On the outside I was your typical suburban mom of two. Worked PT and had it "together" ...NOT.

Through quitting drinking and learning to love myself again I have made huge changes in my life. I am raising two beautiful children. I am working FT and back in school pursing an advanced degree...busy busy.

I sporadically get to the gym for a spin class 1-2 x a week. I would love to try to follow along here in hopes of picking up some motivation to begin W1D1.

I have about 40# left to lose (of the 65# I had put on during pregnancies and subsequent evening wine consumption!).

I want and need to do this.

Thanks in Advance for the welcome.

SR

Allie

• AllieRuns Amateur 21 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    7. May 31, 2009 1:56 PM (in response to AllieRuns)

Here is my FIRST RUN W1D1:

Hi runners!

Just completed W1D1.

I notice that most of you are further along...is there somewhere for me to post with other newbies just starting?

I read the first run and thought...this will be easy, I was an avid spinner and still take 1-2 classes most weeks. Theya re an intense hour of cardio.

Well......once agin I am discouraged and remember WHY i quit every other time...Running is HARD. I could bearly finish the last two cycles of 60 second runs. My calves ached and I was sooo winded. The good news is that I recovered really quickly...within 15 seconds. My DH says that this is becasue I am using different muscles and need to learn how to breathe and oxygenate them porperly...

My upper back also hurt...despite two bras I know TMI LOL!

Do you think this is the right thread for me to check in on...or should I look for one that is for newer NEWBIES

Thanks

SR

Allie

May 30, 2009
    8. May 31, 2009 2:13 PM (in response to AllieRuns)

Hi everyone,

I think we are all just starting (or restarting, LOL)  So we should stick together.  I just started today and it didn't go so well.  I may need to keep Biscuit at the house and just let it be me!  I thought he was going to pull my arms off.  I didn't walk him during the winter and I paid for it today.  He has lost his leash training.  I will give it another try on Wednesday.  So where are ya'll located?  I am in the deep south, Mobile, Alabama.  Its tough to run here with the high humidity.  But I am not ging to give up.  What exercise I did get, felt really good. 

May 30, 2009
    9. May 31, 2009 2:17 PM (in response to KilliansGal)

By the way, my ultimate goal is to lose weight and wear a sleeveless shirt!  I am so vain ! 

But the idea of running a race and finishing it sounds fantastic!

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    10. May 31, 2009 4:08 PM (in response to KilliansGal)

Hello everyone!  I just finished W1 D2 yesterday, can I join your discussion?   It will be nice to chat with people who are close to where I am at in the program.

I have always wanted to run... I don't know why, it has just always appealed to me.  I think it has something to do with the power of knowing that I can really do it.  I have tried a few times to start running, but I think that my problem has been that I try to go too far too fast.  I always end up hurting myself, or I just get burned out and then I quit. 

Several months ago I was able to run for 10 minutes at a time. Sadly, I had been running on my treadmill only, when I tried to transfer my running to outside I had a rude awakening.  Apparently my treadmill makes me think I am a superstar, but when I have to actually haul myself along, I am like Superman carrying kryptonite (not a pretty sight). Then I quit doing any sort of physical activity (I don't know why I do that to myself) and now I am back to trying again.

I am hoping that if I stick to the C25K program and if I have people to check in with, that I can really do it this time.  Also, this time I am going to try to get at least 2 of the runs a week done outside.  I enjoy the change of scenery better, and I think it will better prepare me for any future races I may run.

Sorry to blab on forever... that's my story, I look forward to sharing our successes!

• ahnniewantstorun Amateur 23 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    11. May 31, 2009 7:20 PM (in response to IBmotivated)

Hi everybody!!! I am jumping in here with the other people who are just starting...today was day one of week one...i have to get with the lingo - i think it is something like W1D1 that i am supposed to write - i'll catch on, i swear. I managed it okay and am just trying to stay focused on Week one - i have made the mistake of looking at what other people are doing who are already weeks ahead in the program and it's making me nervous - like, can i even do this? I really want to and am hoping that I can draw some inspiration from other people who are starting out and doing it, too...

I ran some in high school and college, just for recreation but I liked it...but um - that was yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago...I'm 47 and haven't been all that active for a long time but fwiw, I REALLY REALLY want to....if anyone can relate to this, fwiw, i feel very free and destressed when i am outside running - i could use some of that more often...

Anyway - I look forward to hearing from others who are starting...and I'm from Jersey....  Ann

• ahnniewantstorun Amateur 23 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    12. May 31, 2009 7:31 PM (in response to AllieRuns)

Hey SR,

I hope you'll stay - I am just starting too...I did WIDI today...I started to feel sluggish around the same time in the program today that you did...hang in there...let's both hang in there...we CAN do this...

Fwiw, i think in a previous post that you mentioned that you have another 40 lbs to lose....I recently lost 40 and would like to drop another 20; I will tell you that as you lose it, the running will get easier (I'm sure that isn't any kind of an earth-shattering newsflash)...I have been walking a lot over the past few months and there is a WORLD of difference between how i feel carrying 40 lbs less....

Again, I hope you stay and keep posting - Ann....fwiw - i want to be like your other running friends - living the "M" life...lol....i'll get there...and so will you...one step at a time...

May 30, 2009
    13. May 31, 2009 7:39 PM (in response to ahnniewantstorun)

Hi Everyone,

I am nervous about getting to week nine as well.  It seems so far away and right now I can't imagine.  I will take one day at a time and if I feel like I need to redo a week, well then I will just do it and not stop.  That is a promise I made to myself. 

Welcome everyone-we can do this!

• JoeTrier Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 31, 2008
    14. May 31, 2009 7:53 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

To Jodi and everyone who is starting out on a campaign - Well Done on the decision and good luck.

You will love the feel good sensation you get from the endorphin release (runnersdrug).

You will also find considerable good information about running and training on a site called run 2 ryhthm. You will find it at www.run2r.com

Might help you because it helped me!

Joe

1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...