Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9703 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2009 10:28 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 6, 2009 7:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: June - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Don't hurry back with that pain Sierra.  And don't stretch a real injury.

8 miles of hills ez Fri.  Today ran with a young man barely a master who has just begun running in last year or so.  He doesn't know how good he can be.  Took me 10 miles to break his pace.   13.85 at 7:30 pace with a couple in the 6:55 range and several just above 7's.   Pretty warm by the time we finished.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Jun 6, 2009 8:00 AM (in response to fred-urie)

KS, good work for you. Run with those young bucks and keep yourself race-ready!

Sierra, is it behind the hip bone, close to the glute?  Strengthening the surrounding muscles will allow it to heal.  I'll be happy to give you the two exercises I do for that.  spareribs823 at gmail dot com.  If it is in front of the hip bone, then I have no experience with that.

Since I now have a recent fiveK to adjust my other paces, I asked a very knowledgeable friend to help me establish what the ranges should be for MP, HMP, tempo, track, easy and slow should look like.  This made me feel more confident if nothing else.  Tomorrow I will try my first 13-mile wave run.  35 miles this week.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    35. Jun 6, 2009 2:50 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks everyone. I think I know what I have: hip bursitis. It matches the description of the pain, which is on the side of the hip, just at a protruding bone. I found two good web sites that describe it well. The second one was particularly helpful. I think the cause may be overtraining and a somewhat weak lower back (after ruling out shoes, surface, and pronation). I probably injured it two weeks ago after running and then backpacking (the same day), and the long hike out. It was several days after that that I felt the pain. Perhaps that was just a little too much and the hip area became inflamed.

I wanted to be careful with any kind of stretching because I know it's not good to do for all injuries (thanks KS and Ribs). For this one I read that crossing your good leg across your other one while pushing up against a wall helps. So far that seems to be OK. I'm also going to start my lower back strengthening exercises again. Thanks also Fred for that website--I'm going to read that closely.

I did run 4.2 miles today; if I felt sharp pain, I would have stopped. But, after a half mile warmup in which I was running sort of gingerly, I hardly noticed my hip. I could still feel an irritation but not serious pain. That's a good sign. The first mile was 10:30, then 10, and the last 2.2, between 8:45 and 9:15. I also did 65 pushups, and 65 other upper body repetitions, and took my dog for a 1 mile walk.

http://www.runnersrescue.com/Running_Hip_Pain_Strain_Injury.htm

http://www.marathon-training-schedule.com/hip-pain-in-runners.html

Dec 14, 2007
    36. Jun 7, 2009 9:38 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Today was my first PS wave run.  Before injury and heart stuff I was 7:30 for HMP and 8:00 for MP.  Now my MP is 9:05 and my HMP is 8:40 based on last week's fiveK time.  I was a few seconds faster than those times but not on purpose.  My legs seem to remember old paces but my CV system hasn't yet adapted of course so for my first one I was all over the place. ("I got legs in old paces where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away...")

But the good news is that I did it, and now feel like I have a good training program in place that I can sustain, long run on Sunday with some quality, and a solid track workout on Wednesday.  It has taken me 9 months to get here but as long as I continue to see progress I am very happy with it.

13 total miles and the erratic paces were:

8:53 (MP, s.b. 9:05)

8:52 (MP)

8:56 (MP)

8:38 (HMP, s.b. 8:40)

8:27 (HMP)

Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    37. Jun 7, 2009 10:27 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Ribs; what were the length of those runs?  If those were full mile repeats; I'd say your training pace is a bit soft.   Looks like you had no trouble hitting your set paces.

May get to run tonight after church.  Hope to get a little recovery run in before starting over next week.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    38. Jun 7, 2009 12:04 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Good luck with that hip Lauren, apparently we have bursas at most joint locations and they can become swollen and inflamed.  Part of the problem I've been dealing with is the bursa under the achilles on my right foot.  It's tough to calm them down once they get going...

I ran the half marathon this morning, undertrained for the distance, so won't post my time.  On the positive side it's a good run I can build on, so that's what I'll focus on. 

Good runs all...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 14, 2007
    39. Jun 7, 2009 3:07 PM (in response to fred-urie)

That's the attitude Rich. Learn and change as we go.  Good for you.

KS, my program is based on set times off the fiveK and they are probably correct.  The fact that I did them faster does not mean I should do them faster.  Believe me, I knew I had had a workout when I was done.  It wasn't supposed to be a brutal RTYP workout.  My plan involves two good quality runs per week, so I can recover, and do the next workout.  I'm very early in my training and have no need for intense work or oxygen debt in a long run. I would be very fatigued if I did that.  I have lots of time.  Good observation on your part however.  I know you think I have potential.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    40. Jun 8, 2009 7:04 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Thanks Rich. That's it, the bursa. After a few more stretches, some ibuprofen, and a couple of soaks in the hot tub (I should have iced it but I love to use my gym's hot tub), I went out for a run yesterday to see how things felt. I didn't feel it much in the first half mile and not at all after that. Later in the afternoon I walked a mile and a half and there was no pain, whereas three days ago, walking was painful. I'm so glad.

I thought I'd go as far as I felt comfortable going. So, it was 1 1/2 miles on the dirt track, then off into an oak-studded, very quiet area of Ojai (called the Arbolada). After about 5 miles I was feeling good, so I decided to run part of my long run loop. I ended up with 10.75 miles, all of it very slow. The last 4 1/2 was that gradual up hill on this course--It tired me and those last two miles were ragged. I'm very glad I went that way, though. I wouldn't have gotten in as far a run otherwise. 1:52:30. A cloudy morning in the 50s.

A good first wave run, Ribs. Congrats on that.

Hot weather does curb the times you can run. I grew up in a hot place (though all dry heat -100 plus). I could only run early morning, or after the sun went down (and it was still hot then). Good running in that heat, KS.

Good runs all--

Aug 14, 2007
    41. Jun 8, 2009 7:44 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Nice long run Sierra.  glad to see your injury is coming along fine.  

Watched part of the pre-classic track meet yesterday.  Wow, I'd like to be in the stands of a big time track meet like that.   What great athletes!!

4.5 ezpz miles this morning; hardly worth mentioning.  But it felt oddly good to run 9 min miles this morning.  So much that I'm going to duplicate that work out again tonight.   Tomorrow night I hit the track for some 400 repeats.   First track workout since well before that little fiasco known as Boston.   Looking forward to some sweet agony.

I emailed Paul to check on him and received no response.   Where is our dearest Euphoric?

Have a good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    42. Jun 8, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra, that is very encouraging.  Good news for you.

Just 3.5 slow recovery miles for me today.  No aches or pains, just a bit tired.  Flex and core workout later at the Y.  Spareribs

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    43. Jun 8, 2009 11:32 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Sierra take care of yourself, at least you have identified the problem.

Ksrunr, that sounds like a really fast run with the younger guy.

Fred your comment about engaging all systems early in training makes sense; I had read somewhere recently that the neurons have to "practise" triggering the fast twitch fibres so they can help out, otherwise they forget how.

First week of my new training program, 35 miles.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...