Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9783 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2009 10:28 AM by Spareribs823 Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jun 14, 2009 10:27 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: June - 50 Plus Training and Racing

So hot now after church I'm not even considering a run today.  Should be up to 107 - 110 index this afternoon.  Just the way we like it.............................

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    61. Jun 14, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to ksrunr)

That's a broiling day KS. Impossible to run during the day with temps like that. SpareR, that's a good pace on a hot day (or on any other day).

8.21 for me today along a coastal route that has some ups and downs. 1:28:03. It dawned clear and sunny this morning, the first in many, many days. Temps in the 60s when I ran at 8 am. Lots of surfers and RVs setting up camp. This is the time of year for that--they park for a week at a time at the ocean's edge, set up chairs to look out to sea, and at night, the fires or BBQs are lit. An inexpensive vacation (well, except for the expense of the RV). I begin and end this run near the mouth of the Ventura River. At this time of year its waters only appear above ground a few miles from the mouth. Birds love it (and deer). Where I live (about five miles up the river) it's bone dry. 

Good day all.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    62. Jun 14, 2009 1:12 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Looks like everybody will have to run a few extra miles today to make up for one of us who is afraid to run in a little bit of heat.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    63. Jun 15, 2009 5:33 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Ignoring Ribz last post.

5.75 miles this morning.   8:05 warmup and then 4.75 at tempo of 6:35 avg pace.  Got to run with my son again today.  Can't outrun him but can make him breathe hard.   That's a victory for the old man.

Will run an ez 4 tonight and then back to the track Tues nite for mor 440's.   Likely these will be by myself so I plan on being more even with my pace.

Have a good run today all.

Dec 14, 2007
    64. Jun 15, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to ksrunr)

(Hee hee!)

So far you are ahead of me today.  5.1 recovery miles then a flex workout at the Y.  I was comfortable because I didn't go long yesterday, and speaking of your new spelling of my name, check this out:

Dec 14, 2007
    68. Jun 16, 2009 8:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I agree Fred.  Every time I have run hard in the heat it has taken me longer to recover.  There is no point to it.

4.5 easy today followed by a flex workout.  Track workout tomorrow.  Spareribs

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    70. Jun 17, 2009 8:48 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi everyone!

You are so lucky to live near the ocean, Sierra! I would buy an oceanfront condo in Queensland, Australia if I ever won the lottery...

Fred, I know nothing about birds, is that a hawk of some kind? I used to recognise all the birds and trees in Africa when I was a kid, but don't knowmuch about the North American species.

KS, yes the spelling is with one "n", I used to post here with my name spelled correctly but after the changeover 18 months ago or so I could not get back in. Just didn't bother for a year or so...

9.8 miles last night 1:27, pleasant enough. Will be away for 3 days this weekend on a sports car club event.

Simon.

Dec 14, 2007
    71. Jun 17, 2009 9:53 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Simon, I worked for about 4 years all over Australia, and will never forget my first day there.  I was in Sydney and ran around Circular Quay through the Botanic Gardens and when I saw all the birds, I thought, "what the heck are these?"  It is so interesting to see how different the species are when you leave a familiar area.

I know I kid KS here about the heat, but it is miserable where he is because he is on the Gulf of Mexico, very humid, whereas I am up north in TX.  Today it was very hot when I stepped on the track at 7 a.m., and my plan was 6 x 1000 meters with a 200 jog rest after each.  But after the 3rd oneK, my washing machine motor was running on max and I had to rest after each K after that.  Still got all the work in but with some walks and standing around.  8.5 for the day and a flex workout later.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    72. Jun 18, 2009 6:34 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Tues nite track = Sweet agony.   8 X 440 with 220 jog rest.  Goal 88-90.   1st and 5th 85 and 86.   balance 88-90.     Windier and hotter than the workout a week before.  Pleased with workout.

Wed. 10 mile of hills at 8:00 pace.   Last 3 in 7:30-40 range.   Not as tired for this one as last Wed.

Thurs. a.m. 5.75 ez and Sweet agony lingers a bit longer.   7:45 pace oa. but felt harder than that.

Have a good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    73. Jun 18, 2009 9:16 AM (in response to fred-urie)

KS, it's neat that as your conditioning improves, you can tell by how you feel in a given workout compared with how you felt the week before.  I continue to look for little things that show I am improving.  For example, my recovery runs used to be 3 miles very slow.  Now they are 4.5 miles just slow, like today.  Flex and core work afterwards.  Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    74. Jun 19, 2009 11:11 AM (in response to fred-urie)

5 miles of heat at easy pace, followed by a flex workout.  Need just 4.4 tomorrow for a 40 mile week.  Spareribs

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...