Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

822 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2009 9:49 AM by kevpugh RSS
joedadd Pro 122 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2009 10:30 AM

Marathon / half advise please

I want to run my first half marathon as a part of training for my first full marathon. My goal for both is only to finish. My motivation is to achive better health, lose weight and to prove to myself that I can accomplish something less than 1% of people in the United States can say they have accomplished. I am curious as to thoughts on my goals and seek advise from others who may have gone through similar experiences?

I have been running on and off for about 3 years. I trained for a half marathon 2 years ago year but couldn't run it due to illness. After training and running as much as 13 miles, I tailed off on my runs and eventually was down to 1 or 2 miles per week for about 1 year. I just started to run more faithfully again about 3 months ago and was able to complete the C25K. I can now run 3 miles every other day. I have lost about 15 pounds in the past few months but am still about 70 pounds over weight and 50 pounds from my goal.

The Philadelphia Distance Run (half marathon) is in 15 weeks. I plan to use it as a training run for the The Philadelphia Marathon which is 9 weeks later. I am going to follow the Marathon Rookie training plan from http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-training.html.

My concern is that I might be pushing too hard and am being too ambitious. Is 6 months enough time to get ready for someone in my weight class

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• Rob67 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 7, 2008
    1. Jun 5, 2009 5:17 PM (in response to joedadd)
    Re: Marathon / half advise please

I would say 15 weeks is plenty of time to train for the half marathon.. I ran my first full last year in October and trained for about 16 weeks..  That was the first full year that I have run since high school.. I ran a half marathon last week in about 2 hours although I wasnt feeling too good when I finished.(I am recovering from a hamstring injury)

So I would so go ahead and run the half.. make sure you run a distance of 13 miles 1 or 2 times during your training with several other 10 mile runs...plus your goal of just fnishing is realistic and attainable... plus it is okay to walk parts of the race if you have to.  

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 7, 2009 1:56 AM (in response to joedadd)

I took a look at the plan; it seems reasonable to train for your first marathon.  Jeff Galloway is another resource.  He's written several good books on running: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

• kevpugh Pro 72 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    3. Jun 7, 2009 9:49 AM (in response to joedadd)

Joe - this seems like a reasonable goal as far as I can tell. It's really important that you learn to listen to your body as you go. One suggestion for you, to prevent overtraining or pushing too hard: get in the habit of taking your resting pulse first thing every morning, and write it down in your training log. You'll soon establish a clear baseline for your resting pulse, and will be able to notice if it is higher than it should be. For example, if your normal resting pulse is 55 beats per minute, but one morning it's at 75 beats per minute...that's a good indication that your body is still trying to recover from the previous day's workout. An increase of 15% over your norm indicates that you may be overtraining. So, take the day off, and see if it's back to normal the next morning. If it is, great! If not, take another day off. Overtraining is perhaps the most common error of new runners or those who are coming back to it after time away. Enjoy the journey!!

:: Kevin, from PuggerRunner.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...