Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30244 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Previous Next
  • kevee Rookie 376 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Jun 16, 2009 7:50 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

Hello Everyone!  Congratulations to everyone with your runs.  I finished W7 yesterday morning.  Wow was it hot!  What a change for southcentral WI.  Anyway, I'm going to get up early tomorrow for W8D1 and the 28 minutes.  Should be cooler.

Good luck to everyone with your runs today!

Kevin

• gothgimpbadcooking Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    226. Jun 16, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to AbbaCadaver)

I should be on W3 but I'm repeating an extra day of W2 because I know it may be the only chance I get to run this week as I'm going out of town.  I was so proud, the 90 second run was, like, almost easy by the end!  I'm looking forward to getting home on Sunday and running some more. 

Am I imagining that there are a good number of fellow Minnesotans on this board?  I just moved here from Florida in September and I can totally understand why this is a great time of year to start a running regimen!

AbbaCadaver:  Since beginning C25K a few weeks ago I occasionally run in the same... condition.  I haven't had that particular side effect, just a whole lot of fun.  You might talk to your doc.

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    227. Jun 16, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Abba and Goth - Just my two cents...but usually any illegal or mind altering substances prior to running does not sound like a good idea to me.  Also, I would not be so open with your indiscretions on an open forum, you never know who is also on the site, law enforcement (for example).  Also, I am sure that using any substances prior to running can also increase your risk of injury...so my thought would be, don't do it...also, this is kind of a health site, so I am sort of offended that you would even mention it...Good luck with your running!

On another note, I am starting W9 this week, but after the shin splints that I experienced on Sunday, I am kind of hesitant to run tonight.  I don't want to put all of the effort into getting ready and planning the time away from the family to run and then get there and not be able to run...also, I am the kind of person that will drive myself into the ground and injure myself, before I will quit a run...not sure what to do.  Also, it is harder to make the decision becasue I usually run with my sister or sister-in-law.  If I don't run they will, and then we will be all out of whack!!! so to speak...any body experienced severe shin splints that brought them to tears???  Please help!  BTW, I am not a sissy and consider myself to have a high threshold for pain (had two children w/o pain meds) so to be brought to tears, I think I was in a pretty good amount of pain.  Suggesstions???

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

• AllyDuran Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    228. Jun 16, 2009 10:06 AM (in response to klasmom5)

W2D2 done and loved it. I got up at 4:45am, was at the gym by 5:50am, and home in the shower by 5:45am. This was my first treadmill run, and wow, what a difference. It's a lot easier I'd say. Anyone else flip back and forth. If I'm going to do anything before work, it's going to have to be before dawn and on a treadmill.

Klasmom- dumb question- have you tried stretching your shins before you start? I do a couple minutes of the warm up walk, stop my watch, and stretch the shins. A soccer playing friend of mine taught me to put the top half of my foot up against a pole or a wall, and push down on the back half of my foot while still applying pressure to the front. I found this link b/c my explanation makes no sense : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E26G1aGbg7s&feature=fvw

Happy running everyone!

Couch to 5k - wow!
  • lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    229. Jun 16, 2009 10:27 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

TracyRhymer _ are you still out there? Did you see my answer to your post? Hope your running is great!

Chloeshere - great answer on the non-cigarrette smoking. Great PR term though....AbbaCadaver maybe your career is in journalism.

Klasmom - google shin splint treatment (of course you get lots of products and gibberish) but I did not see anywhere that if it's an actual injury, it will get better without rest and with more activity. Having said that, I felt like when I took my shin rest, it set me back! I finished week 6 and had to go back to beginning of week 5 because I felt like I was sucking air again! So, again, this is not a medical experts board just our own experience.

For me? Maeberryboo where are you? I am on my 2nd ramp up to W7D1 having finished week 6 once and then back to W5D1 after injury. Today was my 3rd run since I rested my shin and the only one that has felt half way decent! It was nice and cool this morning, so that helped!

MN unite! There are a bunch of us here....MNGrandma, MNSusieK, Me, Lehuagirl....who else in the Twin Cities Club? Someone a couple days ago mentioned the Mall of America... I always wonder when I see a runner if it could be one of you all...

• lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    230. Jun 16, 2009 10:28 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Trail vs. Concrete vs. Treadmill. I like those soft surfaces so much better, but aren't most 5ks on concrete, so do we need to be gettin' our legs and feet on that same concrete page???

• 5kforHim Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    231. Jun 16, 2009 11:06 AM (in response to klasmom5)

Toker Runner - This is excellent advice. I concur about self incriminating blogs....not cool newbie. Try Facebook. They love that stuff.

Klasmom5 - Youtube.com has some great warm up videos. I know I found one for runners from the UK. I also asked my friend's thirteen old daughter who just joined the track team. Their warm ups and cool downs last for a good 20min. One excercise in particular is just moving the ball of  your feet up and down. I did see a guy running recently with braces on his calves. Does anyone know about those? You know your body.

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    232. Jun 16, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to lehuagirl)

Thanks to everyone for all of the shin info...I have researched a lot about this and am not sure what to make of all of it...some say do this, others say do that...it's hard to decifer the good info from the ****.  I do stretch a lot before running, so it's not that...I have read a lot about stride and how my feet land when I run, so on my next run, I am going to try to concentrate on that to se of that helps...also, I have been fitted for shoes, so I know it's not that, too!  I am trying to rule out all of the obvious things...anyway, i appreciate all of your input!!!

On another note, for anyone that is running, but also trying to los weight...I was introduced to this really cool webite called The Daily Plate.  You can sign up for free and enter in your height, weight, and weightloss goals.  The program will give you your recommended calorie intake for each day...then you can enter in all of the foods that you eat, each day and it will keep track of everything for you.  It has every food in the system, not just generic or estimated nutritional content...for example, it has the convinient store brand of coffee and creamer in there, that I use, everyday...which I think is just an east coast store...so it is pretty thorough.  The website is run by Livestrong (the Lance Armstrong brand) so I think it is pretty accurate and I have found it really helpful...OH, and, you can enter in your physical activity...which the program will add to your calorie intake for the day, so you can make sure you are eating enough calories for those days when you are running x-training, etc...check it out!!!  It is really a great site... http://www.thedailyplate.com/

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

• erniedee Amateur 40 posts since
    May 11, 2009
    233. Jun 16, 2009 11:14 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

So glad to see everyone's progress, though selfishly, I have to admit I also am glad that people are honest and report their setbacks also. Makes me want to beat myselfu up less when I have them.

As I reported, I tried W6D1 without enough food or drink in my system & wasn't able to finish. I can push through lead legs or sucking wind, but the lightheaded - "oh my gosh I might pass out" was too much for me. Today should be my W6D2, but the stars have not aligned to let me run today. I have 2 young boys & my husband won't be home tonight. So, my current plan is to repeat W6D1 tomorrow, pick up W6D2 on Friday and W6D3 on Sunday.

I feel bad that I don't ever get a chance to do personals - this board moves SO fast & I work full time. Everyone here helps me make it to the next step in C25K and I appreciate you all!

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    234. Jun 16, 2009 11:44 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Woo Hoo! I finished week 3 this morning! I feel great!

I will be moving on to week 4 on Thursday, I can't believe that after next week I will be half way done!

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    235. Jun 16, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to IBmotivated)

Erniedee...hang in there!

Does this count as a bomb?

I was supposed to start week 8 today....28 mins or 2.75miles.  On Sunday I ran 2.5 miles staright, took 29 mins......today I ran about 1.3 miles and was just beat. So i walked about 2/10 of amile and started jogging again.  In the end with what,  maybe 4 short walk breaks, I did 3.2 miles in 37 mins.

I kind of sort of feel good about it....but part of me feels as if I BOMBED week 8 day 1.  I think I am psyched out about the 2.75 miles.  I may just go a couple extra days in week 8....til I can do at least TWO straight days at either the 28 mins...or the whole distance.

klasmom.....are you absolutely sure that what you are suffering is shin splints?

I do have a question about why anyone would ask for advice from total strangers on a running forum...ABOUT THEIR HEART???????   If you feel that something is or might be wrong....GO TO YOUR DOC......

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• 5kforHim Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    236. Jun 16, 2009 1:13 PM (in response to clare bo)

Are there any doctors who would answer anything on these sites?

Oh, forgot! W2D3 complete. I'm moving on to W3. No problems today and I have a decent knee brace. 2.1 miles in 35 minutes. I alternated between the walk/run, but felt great when I was done. I grilled a 53 yr old marathon runner. She admits cross training is key to avoiding the nasty knee stuff in the long term. More treadmill action is better too.

Everyone looks like they are doing so great and really dedicated.  My question is DIET for fuel. Is everyone strictly no -fat? I'm still munching on sweets.

~NY Marathon 2010 here I come!

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    237. Jun 16, 2009 1:19 PM (in response to lehuagirl)

count me in the MN team!!!!

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    238. Jun 16, 2009 1:25 PM (in response to 5kforHim)

I DID STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST NIGHT

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• sgunder2 Pro 96 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    239. Jun 16, 2009 1:33 PM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

happyonthemat:  I hear you on the soreness. I am not even going for distance, just time, but my body still feels the difference, especially today. I am hoping to get some ondemand yoga in tonight, because I really feel like I need a stretch (I love doing yoga in the evening). I don't have a mat though, which always annoys me because I sometimes end up slipping on my carpet (in down dog for example). Anyway, maybe I will do some deep stretching yoga rather than my usual power yoga. I could use some of that right now. I am sorry to hear that you are struggling as well, but as you say, we will get there. I might also take two days off, but I will see how I feel tomorrow and make the decision from there. Good luck to you on your future runs, I am sure you will see some speedy improvement. I actually have not purchased my new shoes yet. I decided to hold off a little longer, and actually opted for another trip back home instead of getting them (priorities, priorities). My brother is having an engagement party on the 4th of july, and I would have felt very guilty if I purchased those shoes instead of buying a plane ticket to come home for his party haha. I will get them sometime soon though, thanks for asking!

Week 5 of One Hour Runner Complete!

I am training for a yet-to-be-determined Triathlon

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...