Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30146 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • gothgimpbadcooking Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Jun 16, 2009 4:28 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

klasmom-- Before I say this, I definitely want to say that a) I'm probably a dingbat for having posted that and b) I definitely don't want to get into a protracted discussion on this board about the topic.  However, I did think about not replying with my experience for JUST those reasons you posted.  I wasn't trying to encourage others to try this brilliant idea, nor to ignore the health risks, and I certainly considered the privacy concerns. 

I've gotten a lot of support from this board, though, and learned things that I hadn't thought about, found I didn't have to worry about things I was worried about, and generally have taken more than I've given back.  I wanted to express to the poster that he/she was not the only one trying this possibly not so bright idea and give the support as well as I can because there is a distinct chance he or she will continue the practice whether support is given or not!  Maybe this was not smart, but I'm just trying to keep in the spirit of support that this forum has shown.  Maybe I took it a little far.... 

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    241. Jun 16, 2009 6:45 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

lehuagirl - good thought about trail v. concrete.  I'll try to toughen up my joints after I finish C25K. 

Abba - NO, I'm not remotely qualified to comment on your potential heart problem.  I've also never pushed my workout to the point of unconsciousness.  I'd strongly suggest you see an MD.

5KforHim - I'm still tweaking my diet.  I'm going to do that gradually, just like the running.  I'm cutting out the fats and sugars as I add in the running.  I'm hoping to be happy with my shape when I reach a happy medium.

clare bo - rofl! 

I'm looking forward to my run tomorrow.  I walked today, and I wasn't in the groove like I was with my run on Monday. 

Hope everyone who ran today had a great run.

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    242. Jun 16, 2009 6:51 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Well, I ran W9D1 today...it was horrible...I ran on a treadmill for the first time on this program, and I hated it!  I was homebound and couldn't get out to run...so I ran for 30 minutes, just fine, but my distance was horrible!!!  I felt like I was sprinting on the treadmill, but was only running a 12 minute mile?!?!?  Anyone else have this issue when running on the treadmill?  Maybe I'll stick to the roads?!?!? 

Goth - no harm no foul...just some friendly advice!

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

• mackus Rookie 17 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    243. Jun 16, 2009 6:56 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Just finished Week 8 Day 3! Congrats to everyone who is moving forward and welcome to any new runners.

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    244. Jun 16, 2009 8:03 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I had a personal training session at my club and then hoped onto the dreadmill for my wk8 d2 run.  Feels good now but I had a hard time not looking at the time-on my runs outside i allow myself to look at my watch at a certain marker but it is easier to do that then the treadmill.  I find my pace slows down due to it to.  My nike+ is matching now my outside run distances and is close with the treadmill in calories burned-not on distance but that is due to the treadmill!

as for my diet I do try to cut down on treats/chips but mostly just count calories and keep a budget of what I can eat depending on what is for dinner.  I find that plus the running is helping as i have lost 10 pounds so far!!!  I am happier in my body now and that is a positive!

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    245. Jun 17, 2009 3:57 AM (in response to Mariamou)

klasmom and mariamou:

Tell me......

I have been running on the treadmill and not outside yet. I feel like much of the time I too (like you, klasmom) have to sprint to make a decent time. My husband keeps telling me that he thinks our treadmill is inaccurate. I always figured running outside would be harder (except for the BOREDOM) factor. Klasmom, you felt you had to run harder, right? Mariamou, you said your ipod wasnotin sync with the treadmill distance.....which one said you went farther? Just curious! Do you think running outside is harder than the treadmill?  I am almost 48 and I dunno,  the thought of going out on the pavement seems brutal.  Do you find the runs at all similar?

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    246. Jun 17, 2009 4:48 AM (in response to klasmom5)

Klasmom, I totally have this issue on the treadmill. When I am on the treadmill it says that I don't get anywhere near the mileage that I get when I run outside in the same amount of time.  The treadmill is kinder on your joints, but it's boring and you spend all of your energy trying to keep up with the tread instead of setting your own pace and having a nice run.  I like running outside 1000% better.

I am starting W4 tomorrow... Woo Hoo! And last night I signed up for my first 5K!! It is on August 8, I will finish C25K the week before that.  I am so excited to have an actual race marked down on my calendar!  Thank you to everyone who posts here for all of the great support!

• AllyDuran Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    247. Jun 17, 2009 6:58 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

Weighing in on the treadmill debate... I did it yesterday for the first time, and while it was a lot easier on the knees and felt more "fun", it also showed me as going a shorter distance than outside. I use mapmyrun.com to determine my distance outside. I foresee the bulk of my running to be outside (even though the humidity is killer).

Hope everyone has a great day and good runs today.

Couch to 5k - wow!
  • clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    248. Jun 17, 2009 7:17 AM (in response to AllyDuran)

Ally....so how much of a discrepancy was there?

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    251. Jun 17, 2009 10:18 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I did W3D2 this morning, and it was a disaster. I had such a wonderful run on Monday, and today was godawful. Just a tip to you others, don't run with a testy chihuahua. I swapped out dogs, my dachshund for my chihuahua. My doxie protested when I started out, he realllly wanted to walk with my mother (picture me doing my brisk 5 minute warm up walk with a seated dog being dragged behind me staring mournfully at my mother a half block or so behind me). Then my good girl decides that if Paco (my chi) is going to try to chase other dogs and bark madly, she'll do the same. Well, reining in a 7 lb chi is something different than reining in a 60 lb girl. Argghh!

Oh well, at least I didn't get winded. My ankles did hurt a little bit, but I'm thinking if I'd had time to smooth out during my 3 minute runs that it would have been an o.k. day. Technical difficulties are better than inability, in my opinion.

Hope everyone has a good run today.

• 5kforHim Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    252. Jun 17, 2009 10:24 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Wow. You are doing great! These blogs have been so helpful and knowing there are other runners at the same level is comforting.

I love the treadmill. I use the one at work and there are 6 right next to me. We have three TVs and an open window. Not to mention, a big mirror to check out our form. I adjust my incline and play with my speed. I also use my iPod for inspiration. By they way, the Rocky theme really does get you going. Plus, when I have other runners next to me, I challenge myself to go longer and faster. Outside is great, but dependent on the weather. I also learned about the unexpected hills the hard way by going uphill. I didn't lean into it and I hurt my knee.

The challenge now is giving up the fatty foods and staying on track. Cross training seems to be working. I mix aerobics in with swimming on the weekends. Variety, variety.

I hope you continue. These ladies who have faithfully posted are inspirational and I look forward to hearing more of their accomplishments...yours too!

Thanks!!! 

• AllyDuran Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    253. Jun 17, 2009 10:43 AM (in response to 5kforHim)

Taking a break from work (bad girl) to read---

Clare bo- The treadmill said I went 1.65 miles in my 25 minutes (warm up walk included), but mapmyrun.com has me between 1.85 and 2.00 for the 25 minutes. That's a big enough difference for me. I guess if training for time or endurance, the treadmill's not so bad, but distance training seems like it'll get a little sticky.

Couch to 5k - wow!
  • klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    254. Jun 17, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

clare bo - I didn't run nearly as far as I normally run, in the same amount of time...the treadmill was definitely softer on my shins which is a bonus, but the run, overall, was brutal.  The run was SO different!  I will never run on the treadmill again, if I can avoid it!  I had about an 8/10 of a mile discrepancy from what I normally run!!!  Big Bummer!

IBmotivated - I totally agree, I feel like I am trying to keep up with the spinning tread, instead of just running...I really felt like my run suffered!

5kforHim - you should try going to http://www.thedailyplate.com/ I mentioned it in one of my posts yesterday, it is an awesome food tracking program...it is kind of eye opening when you actually see everything that you eat, on paper, in front of you.  You can really see where you are going wrong and try to fix it!

This is to anyone close to graduating...have any of you thought about going on to a new program after wards...I have found several and am trying to weigh the pros and cons and determine which I am going to choose and I'd love to hear what you guys are planning???

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...