Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30901 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • maeberryboo Amateur 117 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    255. Jun 17, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

lehuagirl - I am still here.  I am ashamed to say that I have not started back since my hip problem (app. 2 weeks I think) but I am going to restart this evening.  I am thinking about starting at week 4  or 5.  It is so depressing to have made it to week 7 and then due to a very painful hip having to take time off and the rest is history.  I am pretty sure that I have decided to run on the treadmill for my restarted attempt at finishing.  The roads around my neighborhood are uneven and just to hard on my body at this point.  My neighbor who is a runner ( did the local half marathon )  told me that he only runs at the track when he is training because the roads are so hard on him too.  So TM it is and hopefully I will get back in the game and finish this thing.  Thanks for giving me a shout out and making me feel guilty .  I don't know that I would have finally made the decision to get back into the game if you hadn't been looking for me!!!!!

I also feel like I am going a lot faster on the treadmill but I am really going a good bit slower. Go figure.

I will post after my run tonight.

Have a great day everyone!!!

• Polarhug Amateur 51 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009
    256. Jun 17, 2009 12:00 PM (in response to 5kforHim)

did week 6, day 2.  Woohoo

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    257. Jun 17, 2009 12:32 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi Everyone

home in bed reading all the posts.........I think I have managed to get the flu in June - miserable body aches and a low grade fever. the only good news is I thought I was achy from my run on monday, now I realize I was percolating this misery.  Planned on running W7D2 tomorrow but it will probably have to wait.

Sgunder2  - glad you put off the sneakers for your brothers party!!

DeterminedRose - we did miss you........keep at it!

I also second the posted who recommended the dailyplate.com.  I really loved it before livestrong bought it - but is still a great tool for getting a handle on the food intake. I should get back to it so I can jump past the 5lb weight loss i'm stuck at.

ok, back to sleep for me, happy running and stay healthy!

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    258. Jun 17, 2009 1:57 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Thank you thank you thank you!  I have been wondering forever how accurate treadmills really are.  My hubby has been telling me for months that he thought ours was not giving me all the distance I was running.  Maybe I am doing even better than I thought (or not,LOL).  I REALLY want to try a run on a cushy high school track.  I was on ours last weekend and was in my running shoes and it just felt so cushioned,  I was ready to take off for a run (but was at football camp for women and we had "drills" to do,LOL).  I think this will be my new goal....to ditch my vanity and go out in public.  You guys have  encouraged/inspired me!

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• jubee13 Pro 181 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    259. Jun 17, 2009 2:09 PM (in response to klasmom5)

Klasmom - I too have been wondering what I'm going to do after finishing C25K. I'm officially in Week 7, but I've been running 3 miles my past two runs in about 30 1/2 minutes, so I'm just going to stick with this for a couple of weeks.

I've been advised to do the One Hour Runner, which is continuous running, gradually adding distance, or the Gateway to 8K. As far as I can tell with that, it's done using a podcast, and I don't have an ipod, so I think I'm going to go with the OHR. Also, the G28K uses intervals, and I think I'd rather run continuously.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any other plans.

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    260. Jun 17, 2009 2:09 PM (in response to clare bo)

clare bo: the treadmill last night read 2.28 miles where my nike+ showed 2.75! I believe the watch instead of the treadmill.  I too have been noticing that I run a little bit faster outside than on the treadmill.  i am not sure why.....

tomorrow I am taking a little break from the program and running with a coworker who is gonna start over on week 4-we are running some paths around work and will only be running for 20 minutes.   A nice little break before I attempt to finish week 8 this weekend.  

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    261. Jun 17, 2009 2:11 PM (in response to jubee13)

jubee13:  I am contemplating also what I am gonna do after graduation!!  I think I am gonna stick with this for a little bit and see how it goes. if anything i will do the one hour run program but right now that scares me!!!!

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• sayhellotofrogs Amateur 49 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    262. Jun 17, 2009 5:15 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

HappyontheMat and AStarrC- Thank you both so much for the encouragement. We need the prayers so much right now although I am still hoping the Dr's suspicions are wrong. Will have a better idea tomorrow although it may be next week before we have an actual confirmation one way or the other.

As to my running, I have literally worried myself sick. My last semi-successful run was Sunday night but even then I was too anxious to go the full 25 mins. I tried to run again this morning and it just wasn't happening. I got really nauseous and gave up. I ended up going out for a walk tonight though and that was ok. Headed to bed now, have to be up super early in the am. Will post tomorrow on how everything went and I am determined to get in a run tomorrow no matter what.

Chrissy -C25K Graduate!!!  www.caringbridge.org/visit/dylankinsey

• aspins Pro 102 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    263. Jun 17, 2009 6:01 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi everyone!!

Just a quick hello to say that I did W6D2 today, so I think that was the last interval! Not sure if I'm happy or sad about that. Definitely like that little break from time to time, but also feel like I just need to run and keep going. The 20 minute run last week went well so I am hoping Friday's step up will go okay too.

Have been following the discussion on treadmill vs outside with much interest. For C25K have been doing all outside runs--a variety of pavement, dirt/gravel roads, and flat hard pack beach at low tide. I found an article some time ago listing the relative hardness of a variety of surfaces and was surprised that treadmills and beach running were not judged to be much easier on the joints than pavement. Of course when I tried to find it just now so I could give you the link, it was nowhere to be found!

My personal experience has been that I get terrible shin splints on the treadmill when I run. Don't know why but because of that I don't run on the treadmill. It's been quite warm where I live, so I've been trying to do my run between 6:30 and 7:30 am. Still sweating like crazy but not quite as hot as later.

Will try to get back later in the week for personals. Happy running to all!

Ann

Completed C25K July 10, 2009!!  

Ramblin' Rose Triathlon August 23, 2009  Winston-Salem, NC

Dash for Divas Triathlon September 12, 2009  White Lake, NC

• aspins Pro 102 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    264. Jun 17, 2009 6:03 PM (in response to sayhellotofrogs)

Say hello to frogs--I think our posts went up at the same time. Just wanted to say good luck with everything tomorrow. Keeping you and your son in my prayers. God bless.

Ann

Completed C25K July 10, 2009!!  

Ramblin' Rose Triathlon August 23, 2009  Winston-Salem, NC

Dash for Divas Triathlon September 12, 2009  White Lake, NC

• 5kforHim Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    265. Jun 18, 2009 4:37 AM (in response to sayhellotofrogs)

Sayhellotofrogs -

Don't know you and have only picked up a little. Been there in similar circumstances with family and close friends. I've seen miracles and I have faith that all things are possible. Ever seen "Facing the Giants"?

I love the picture of you and your little guy.   You both are in my prayers too.

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    266. Jun 18, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to 5kforHim)

I just completed W4D1!! I am so proud of myself!

I had to do it on the treadmill b/c I didn't have anyone to watch my son.  I did find one thing that helps me if I have to use the treadmill... I used some of that thick blue painters tape to cover all of the displays on my treadmill (I use the C25K app on my phone so I don't even need the time).  I found that it was more enjoyable to run at a speed that felt right, instead of putting it at a speed that I thought I should be going. It felt better than my other runs have been on the treadmill, I will do this every time I have to run inside.

I hope everyone has a great run today!

• jubee13 Pro 181 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    267. Jun 18, 2009 7:28 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Week 7 complete! Actually, this week I have been running the 3 miles and I'm going to stay with this for a few weeks. It is taking me about 30 1/2 minutes.

Next week, I will be on vacation, so I may have to run on a treadmill. (not looking forward to that!) I have a 5K scheduled for July 10.

I had thought I would try for a HM next April, but there is one in my area October 31 that I am thinking about. I may not have enough time to train, so we'll see. If anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone's runs are awesome!

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    268. Jun 18, 2009 7:33 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

OMG! I did it! I just ran 2.75 miles...the absolute farthest I have ever in my life run. It took me 33 mins, but I did it. I went 3.04 miles in 37+ mins.

I'll take it, and COUNT it!

ibmotivated...good job! not looking at the controls is the hardest thing for me. Today I allowed myself to peak at the clock on the wall, but not anything on the treadmill until around 24 mins (when I should have been around 2 miles). That was really helpful. Keep up the good work.

sayhellotofrogs....thinking about you! Could you post your caringbridge link again?

The joint in my big toe is really bothering me ,I need to find out what's wrong with it....It's the joint where the toe comes into the foot, but it is more on top of the foot, not at the bottom (ball) of foot.

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    269. Jun 18, 2009 7:30 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

Quick question for everyone:

Has anyone here tried the www.run2r.com  (run 2 rythm) website?  I was on the web site and was reading the theory behind the site and it seems interesting, but I am not sure that I can handle running to acoustic guitar.  I know the point is that it's all the right bpm so you will run at a good consistent speed, just not sure it would keep me motivated.

...Does anyone here have thoughts on this??

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...