Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1673 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2009 7:33 PM by Jeannellie
Jeannellie Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2009 6:59 PM

Increased shin pain with new insoles?

Hi There!

I've been running for about six months now, and I noticed during last weekend's 5K that I was experiencing some achy inner shins.  I thought that maybe my shoes needed to be evaluated, so I went to my local running shoe store and they checked my gait and all that fun stuff.  I've been running with berry superfeet, and the salesperson had me try the green ones...it seemed to help straighten out my stride at the store so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Today I went for my first run with my new, stiffer insoles.  I made it about fifteen minutes then had to walk, my inner shins were HURTING.  

Part of me thinks that it could be that the new insoles just need to be broken in, and then the pain will subside.  Part of me things that this is a bad way of deluding myself.  I'm going to ease back for a few days just to give myself a chance to recover, but has anyone ever experienced something like this?  Stiffer insoles causing shin pain?  I don't remember this when I started running with my berries, but I could just be blocking out painful memories...

Thanks for your help,

Jeannel

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    1. Jun 9, 2009 2:24 PM (in response to Jeannellie)
    Re: Increased shin pain with new insoles?

Jeannel,

If you look here at the communities at Active and at other running forums, you'll find that there are a lot of people who have had bad experiences with Superfeet green. I tried them at the running store, and walked a few steps and handed them back to the person. I have high arches.., but they are not THAT high!:0 I would be inclined to go with your second scenario, where you are just deluding yourself about needing to "break them in". I say if something is right, it should be right...right from the start.

You might just need some good cushioning with more support. I use the Spenco Poly-Sorb Walker/runners. They are not too expensive, either, about $20.00. Once you get that quality cushioning and support, you'll be giving your shin muscles a break. See if you can return those Superfeet green. Let me know!

Paul

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. Jun 9, 2009 5:04 PM (in response to Jeannellie)

In my experience shin pain has a great deal more to do with the manner in which you run, rather than the shoes or shoe inserts.  Take a look at Shin Splints: Shock Absorption and Stride Length, , and What to do when treatment is not working.  Also take a look at Arch Support - Orthotics Use and Abuse, and Pronation

Damien Howell MS, PT, OCS

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,412 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jun 9, 2009 5:50 PM (in response to Jeannellie)

My experience is that inserts are rarely a solution. Get shoes that are correct for your foot type and gait. Run in them for a couple weeks. Then, if you think you want a little more, get some cushioning insoles, like the polysorbs suggested above. Personally, I had Superfeet once, ran a total of about 10 miles in them, and will never go near them again.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points