Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1010 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2009 1:24 PM by spicegeek RSS
shell924 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2009 11:29 AM

Just starting...again 15 years later

So I used to run Cross-Country in High School (long ago).  Ran 7 miles a day.  Since then, I have not ran much at all.  I have had a couple kids, and gained 85 pounds of "baby fat'.  Since October of last year, I have lost 55 of that.  For the month of May I lost nothing.  So I decided to start running again.  I have about 20-30 more pounds to lose to be my BC (before children) weight.  I have having a tough time with this last 20-30 pounds.  Any suggestions??

I do Denise Austin and Billy Blanks DVD's 5 times a week.  Plus I am now starting to run 3 times a week.

I eat fairly well.  No soda, and no eating past 7pm. I was doing no sugar till June 1st.  I try to watch my sugar, but the power/energy bars are loaded with them. 

I don't eat much fruit, love my veggies.  But I have a friend who says I should try EATING CLEAN??? Was told to watch my calories, fat, carbs, and protien.  Not to worry about sugar??

If you can help PLEASE!!!

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    1. Jun 18, 2009 12:20 PM (in response to shell924)
    Re: Just starting...again 15 years later

Diet, alone, will not lose you the weight you want to lose. It doesn't sound like there is anything particularly bad about yourt diet. As a runner, you will need more carbo-hydrates than the average person. You should be able to burn all of those calories (and more) off with a combination of long runs and tempo runs. If you increase your running distance and speed in a systematic, controlled way, you will see those pounds burn off. It took me about 8 months of running, but I am now down to a 30-inch waistline for the first time since I was 17 (I'm 51). I still eat lots of carbs, but I try for whole-grains. So, give it all you've got and give it some time. Oh, and try to get more fruit in your diet.

Paul

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Jun 18, 2009 1:24 PM (in response to shell924)
    Re: Just starting...again 15 years later

I`m going to give you slighty differant advice to Paul

You don`t need to go carb crazy if you are trying to lose weight - I`m in the early stages of marathon training and my long runs are up to 16 miles and I am managing just fine dieting at the same time

High protien

moderate carbs

Low fat

Low calories - my diet is about 1250 per day spread over 6 meals - I weight train or run most days - the weight training and 6 meals helps boost the metabolism

If you follow that guideline you won`t have much spare calories for sugar and  you don`t need energy bars  - if you want a good pre workout snack - 4 eggs whites 1/4 cup oatmeal blend and cook on a skillet - you can add a handful of berries or a spoonful or yougurt - - high in protien, moderate carbs for work out fuel, low in calories. You cal also drink a protien shake and have a piece of fruit - much better use of calories !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points