Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3058 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 17, 2009 4:23 AM by Nancy Clark RD CSSD
EverEnduring84 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2009 11:26 AM

Is peeing clear all the time normal?

*I'm preparing for my first sprint triathlon (San Diego, CA in Aug) and since i've been upping my cardio with all the training I've been consuming more water...instead of a a light pale normal yellow urine I have clear. Isn't this not normal? Someone mentioned to me recently I may be flushing out my electrolytes. Should I just start sipping a ports drink or electrolyte replacement in order to get things in balance. Ive felt really sick after come of my workouts too especially if over heated. ..and wonder if it's sue to lack of potassium, chloride, and sodium. *

• Nancy Clark RD CSSD Community Moderator 63 posts since
    Jul 8, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 17, 2009 4:23 AM (in response to EverEnduring84)
    Re: Is peeing clear all the time normal?

Clear urine means you are drinking lots of water ... enough to dilute the standard yellow color. You can drink less and still be well hydrated.

I suggest you monitor how often you visit the bathroom. If you are urinating a pale "lemonade" color urine every 2 to 4 hours, that's fine. If you are urinating every 30 minutes and the urine is clear, you are overhydrated. This is unlikely to be dangerous, but it is certainly inconvenient.

To learn how much you need to drink, weigh yourself before and after an hour of exercise (while consuming no fluid, or keeping track of how much you do drink). Losing two pounds (32 ounces) indicates you should drink 8 ounces every 15 minutes during exercise to help prevent that sweat loss. You do not need more electrolytes; just less water

Nancy Clark

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Sports nutrition counselor and food/weight coach

Author, Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

www.nancyclarkrd.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points