Skip navigation

2815 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2009 8:35 AM by FormerBAM RSS 1 2 Previous Next
dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2009 11:29 AM

For all our service members out here!

Chaplain's story

WHEN THE MUSIC STOPPED

For those who are unaware, at a military theater the National Anthem is

played before every movie.

From a Chaplain in Iraq :

I recently attended a showing of 'Superman 3' here at LSA Anaconda (Balad

Airport in Iraq, north of Bagdad ). We have a large auditorium we use for

movies, as well as memorial services and other large gatherings.

As is the custom back in the States, we stood and snapped to attention when

the National Anthem began before the main feature. All was going as planned

until about three-quarters of the way through when the National Anthem    music

stopped. Now, what would happen if this occurred with 1,000 18-22 year-olds

back in the States? I imagine there would be hoots, catcalls, laughter, a

few rude comments, and everyone would sit down and call for a movie. Of

course, that is, if they had stood for the National Anthem in the first

place .

Here, the 1,000 Marines continued to stand at attention, eyes fixed forward.

The music started again. The Marines continued to quietly stand at

attention. And again, at the same point, the music stopped. What would you

expect to happen? Even here I would imagine laughter, as everyone finally

sat down and expected the movie to start. But here, you could have heard a

pin drop . Every soldier continued to stand at attention.

Suddenly there was a lone voice, then a dozen, and quickly the room was

filled with the voices of a thousand soldiers, finishing where the    recording

left off: 'And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof

through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that

Star-Spangled Banner yet wave, o'er the land of the free and the home of the

brave'. It was the most inspiring moment I have had here in Iraq .

I wanted you to know what kind of soldiers are serving you here. Remember

them as they fight for you! Pass this along as a reminder to others to be

ever in prayer for all our soldiers serving us here, at home and abroad. For

many have already paid the ultimate price.

Written by: Chaplain Jim Higgins        

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Jun 12, 2009 11:33 AM (in response to dutch omi)
    Re: For all our service members out here!

Honor is not a spectator sport

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Jun 12, 2009 6:14 PM (in response to Immer treu)
    Immer treu wrote:

Honor is not a spectator sport.

Well said Immer. I don't have anything else to add to that.  Have a good weekend.

Karl

Karl

• MamaLady Expert 44 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    3. Jun 12, 2009 6:13 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Sadly, they don't all play the National Anthem at military bases.  Camp Pendleton in CA doesn't, and it's one of the largest Marine bases in the world....  We questioned it, but got no response.  The tiny base we're stationed at now (very few military, mostly civilians/contractors) still does.

RNR Dallas Half  March 2010

Run For Hospice 10K  April 2010

Historic Half  May 2010

Crossroads 17.75K  June 2010

MCM  October 2010

• Rogerd430 Expert 49 posts since
    Sep 15, 2007
    4. Jun 12, 2009 9:20 PM (in response to dutch omi)

This is the sort of stuff that should be given/taught to our schoolchildren. I can't believe the transformation this country has taken since the Viet Nam war. Unfortunately, it's not the right kind -- but, what we now have is a bunch of whiney self absorbed and down right disrespectful children and young adults now, with the exception of current and former service members. Thank God for the branches of service or an old man like me could get really down in the dumps.

Thank you for the information and I really believe it should see some other form of exposure other than in this forum.

Roger, an Old'n'Slow NH Runner
  • Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    5. Jun 13, 2009 6:55 AM (in response to MamaLady)

MamaLady wrote:

Sadly, they don't all play the National Anthem at military bases. Camp Pendleton in CA doesn't, and it's one of the largest Marine bases in the world.... We questioned it, but got no response. The tiny base we're stationed at now (very few military, mostly civilians/contractors) still does.

Have your husband, asuming that you are not the active member, write a point paper to the base general and it should get changed back.  Oh wait you are not at Pendleton anymore.  I can not wait to get to Japan where the base has a theater that the kids can attend so they get this experience.  I am just glad to hear that those Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen in Iraq had their game face on.  Truly I am amazed many times a year at the courage and character that serves our country.  I am just greatful to get ot be a part of it day in and day out.  In the famous words of Toby Keith, "I don't do it for the money...."

Jimmy

Thanks for sharing this Charlotte

This place is like home!!!!

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    6. Jun 13, 2009 6:57 AM (in response to Rogerd430)

Rogerd430 wrote:

Thank you for the information and I really believe it should see some other form of exposure other than in this forum.

I'm with you, Roger, 100%.  But you can be sure it won't see any exposure in today's media, sadly.

Nicely stated, Immer.  Thank you to our troops for having some respect for what it took to achieve the freedom we enjoy, and abuse.

May 20, 2008
    7. Jun 13, 2009 7:33 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Tomorrow is Flag Day!  Get out your flags!!!

Historic Half  May 2010

MCM  October 2010

Jan 19, 2008
    8. Jun 13, 2009 11:22 AM (in response to Rogerd430)
    Rogerd430 wrote:

This is the sort of stuff that should be given/taught to our schoolchildren. I can't believe the transformation this country has taken since the Viet Nam war. Unfortunately, it's not the right kind -- but, what we now have is a bunch of whiney self absorbed and down right disrespectful children and young adults now, with the exception of current and former service members. Thank God for the branches of service or an old man like me could get really down in the dumps.

I guess it doesn't surprise me all that much, which is really sad.  Though there are non military exceptions, I'd bet just about anything that most of the Gen-Xers, and Gen-Whiners did not have any family members who served in Viet Nam, or in the military at all for that matter. My dad was a search and rescue pilot at Bien Hoa and Tuy Hua back in 1967 -68. I was only 6 years old when he came back.  Several years later, I found an old scrapbook in our basement that basically chronicled his flying career, including his one year tour of duty. I couldn't believe some of the things he did to save the lives of the soldiers and civilians during his 17 years as a pilot. Without that appreciation for what courage and sacrifice truly is, the lack of appreciation is sure to follow unless people are constantly reminded. 

Charlotte,

Where did you read this letter from Chaplain Higgins? I figure it had to hit some form of the print media to be picked up, no matter how obscure.  In this Age of Information, circulating it through the net wouldn't be too hard. Not saying it would get the same exposure as in the primary media outlets.  But let's face it, they have an aversion to publishing good news like this anyway, whether it has to do with the military or not.  Think about the song "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley.  Here are the verses along with one of the refrains.  It pretty much sums up my view of news people in general.  Every network out there has people that subscribe to this philosophy. Sad, but true.

I make my living off the evening news

Just give me something-something I can use

People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry.

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here

I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear

Come and whisper in my ear

Give us dirty laundry

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who

Comes on at five

She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam

In her eye<br />

Its interesting when people die

Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation

Is the head dead yet?

You know, the boys newsroom got a

Running bet

Get the widow on the set!

We need dirty laundry

Kick em when they're up

Kick em when they're down

Kick em when they're stiff

Kick em all around

Dirty little secrets

Dirty little lies

We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie

We love to cut you down to size

We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo

We can dance and sing

When its said and done we havent told you a thing

We all know that cr@p is king

Give us dirty laundry!

Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,319 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    9. Jun 13, 2009 9:37 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

One website where I found it.

http://freedomisknowledge.com/troop/fromachaplaininiraq.html

Sometimes I think we should go back to the draft.

One thing that gripes me is the runners who don't know enough to take off their hats whe the Star Spagled Banner is sung before a race.

Len

May 20, 2008
    10. Jun 13, 2009 9:47 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Once I had to shush some teenage girls from messing around and giggling during the National Anthem (this was ON BASE), but they shut up once I said that I was sure their parents would be so proud of them, being so disrespectful.  My kids would be whacked upside the head, and they know it.  Or adults who talk during it.  Also my favorites...NOT.

Historic Half  May 2010

MCM  October 2010

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jun 13, 2009 10:43 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Hooah. 

Thanks for sharing.  I've stood at just about every base in both theaters for one reason or another and these stories flat-out choke me up with pride for the dudes and ladies standing in the gap today.  Not the ones I was with, but today... right now... this moment... some young or old, airman, marine, sailor, or soldier is working, running, eating, sleeping, or maybe just sitting for a movie at some remote base in Iraq, Afghanistan, Horn of Africa, or who-knows-where.  That's who I think about when I read posts like this one, or look at the flag.  Because they are sticking to it, getting the mission done, despite personal preferences, family, heat, equipment, or what-not.  And they do it without complaint and no expectation other then a pay check on time, and the certain knowledge that someone back home in uniform is looking after their loved ones, because that's what they do when they are not deployed.  I'm incredibly proud of our troops, from the no-striper up to the GO, who lay it on the line and know what 'mission first' really means. 

I've rambled enought... BL: Thanks for posting.

Oh... and Len, I agree...mandatory national service for not less then 2 years... and tie it to citizenship.  (Yes, Starship Troopers is an awesome book).

v/r,

Mike Helvey

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    12. Jun 13, 2009 3:14 PM (in response to mikehelvey)

I'm with you guys on the mandatory two-year service requirement for citizenship.  I think this country would be a lot stronger and a lot more appreciative if we had the requirement. 

I'm proud to say my 21-year-old son is waiting on his waiver approval after a year-long wait for taking ADD meds and will hopefully soon be swearing in and joining the USAF.  And my 14-year-old daughter's dream for the last four years has been to fly jets in the Navy, so hopefully they will realize for what it is they are serving.  Can't get anyone to join the USMC like mom and dad, but hey, close enough...

At my niece's h.s. graduation last weekend, three dumbass bozo 20-somethings sitting behind us blabbed and laughed through the entire National Anthem.  After which I gave them my best "You effin' moron" look and said SERIOUSLY???  Even my 22-year-old daughter was disgusted with them and made sure they knew it.  Infuriates me.

Jan 19, 2008
    13. Jun 13, 2009 3:51 PM (in response to mikehelvey)
    mikehelvey wrote:

Oh... and Len, I agree...mandatory national service for not less then 2 years... and tie it to citizenship.  (Yes, Starship Troopers is an awesome book).

v/r,

Mike Helvey

I've got to say that I have never been a big fan of the draft.  While I do think that military service could do a lot of people some good, I would like for them to come to that conclusion on their own, and here's why:  I am not saying that everyone who gets drafted wouldn't make a good soldier, sailor, etc.  But I think it's also fair to say that there will be a certain number in that pool who won't buy into the concept of military service.  They would only be there because they had to be, and they would only do enough just to get by.  When the shooting starts, that is not the person I want to have watching my back.  That's just not going to cut it.  The person I want next to me is the one who wants to be there.  That's the one who understands that there is something worth defending out there that is bigger than just him / her. There is a clear understanding that it is an honor and a privilege to serve one's country.  For our Armed Forces to have to settle for anything less than an individual who wants to serve because of their sense of patriotism and passion for our ideals is to basically settle for second best. That's not a chance I am willing to take. 

That being said, there are some posers out there too.  I remember when I was still on active duty and Desert Storm broke out, you all of a sudden had a slew of "conscientious objectors".  One guy actually said on camera, "I joined reserves to earn money for college. I never thought I would get recalled."  What a joke!! How can you have conscientious objectors in an all-volunteer force?!   Too bad you can't run everybody through a polygraph when they go sign up.  The bottom line is you've got to have the passion baby! 

Karl

Karl

May 20, 2008
    14. Jun 13, 2009 4:23 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

+1 from AD Navy '91-'99

Historic Half  May 2010

MCM  October 2010

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...