Skip navigation

9581 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2009 11:36 AM by SocialD RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Malyna33 Amateur 8 posts since
Jun 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2009 8:20 AM

Need some words of encouragement!

I am going to do my first 1/2 marathon in November. I am currenlty walking/jogging 4 times a week and have lost 78lbs total over the last 5 years ( I had 2 children within this time as well). I have always worked out on and off since I have always been on a diet. I have been heavy all my life and I now weigh less that I did when I was a freshman in highschool. (Only because of instead of dieting I finally saw it as a life change.) I am 5'7, 211 currently and plan to lose another 15 before the 1/2 marathon. I start the acutal training for the 1/2 marathon 07/04/09. I have had alot of friends and family tell me I am crazy for wanting to do this because I have never even done a 5k before. But I do plan to do one before November. I don't know if  I can finish but I will be trying my hardest. My 1st motivation was watching the biggest loser but then was hesitant because my friends talked about how the contestests trained for hours a day. Then my father was recently diagnosed with cancer and seeing what he was going through made me get up and register. I am just tired of hearing words of discouragement and seeing faces from friends as if I am joking. Does it seem impossible to complete even if I chose to walk straight through? Is there anyone out there that has been in a similar postion?

Malyna

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    1. Jun 15, 2009 11:09 AM (in response to Malyna33)
    Re: Need some words of encouragement!

Malyna - there is not a doubt in my mind that you are going to finish your half in November!  Congratulations on taking the first step!  I find that the book Marathoning for Mortals is an inspirational book for someone's first half or full marathon.  It also has some great tips and training plans:

www.marathoningformortals.com

or

http://www.amazon.com/Marathoning-Mortals-John-Bingham/dp/1579547826

You're going to do great!  Keep us updated!!

tara

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

• Adschepps Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    2. Jun 15, 2009 8:37 PM (in response to Malyna33)

If you always do what you always did, youll always get what you always got.  Just signing up is a big step towards your goals.  If you think you can, you can. 

You'll be suprised how many people are in similar shoes come race day and everyone there is out for the same reason: to finish.  You'll have all the support you need. 

Once you finish the 5K, you'll feel great and have no doubt that you can do the half marathon. 

The key is ignoring those around you, be it "friends" or family who doubt you.  As for the biggest loosers, you dont need to compare yourself to anyone else (remember they were competing for $$$,$$$ and had access to unlimited resources).  We all hve our limitations.  Do your best, and try to improve every time. 

Good luck,

ads

• Jocalo Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 31, 2009
    3. Jun 16, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to Nutrition Tara)

Just remember this "The mind goes, the body follows".

Thank God, for this great opportunity you are willing to take of experiencing life through all of your senses.

There is a saying from a Mexican writter "Every body can eat and drink, but few are those who can really taste".

Be patient, be focused, mold your present, build your future, enjoy it all.

Be one of those who can taste a challenge, a goal, a passion, a life.

Jocalo.

• robertlangley_2@hotmail.c Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    4. Jun 23, 2009 4:34 PM (in response to Malyna33)

Malyna you are AWESOME!  Dont worry so much about completing the race, just concentrate on getting to the starting line.  The fact that you registered makes you motivated and dedicated.  Complete this journey for yourself, dont worry about anything or anyone.  Most importanttly have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• robertlangley_2@hotmail.c Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    5. Jun 23, 2009 4:34 PM (in response to Nutrition Tara)

this is a great book.....

• razmatazkim Expert 33 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    10. Jun 26, 2009 2:18 PM (in response to Malyna33)

Of course you can do it!!!  Henry Ford said:  Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.  Believe in yourself...who cares what they say because they won't be the ones out on the course doing the work!!

Your story sounds a lot like mine.  I'm now 42 but started running late in life...only 2 1/2 years ago.  I have three children and was tired of carrying around the weight & excuses I used for not exercising.  It has honestly been the most empowering time of my life.  Running is my time to get away from work, responsibilities, cell phones, etc and just focus on me.  I've lost close to 50 lbs...very gradually without any drastic dieting. 

As I lost weight, I found that I craved healthy foods and it really did become easier to let my old eating habits go.  My personal belief is that running demands so much from your body that your body says...hey, no junk, give me the good stuff.  With the right fuel, you can continue to progress with your mileage which in turns burn more calories and then the weight loss continues.

Marathoning for Mortals is also the plan I use.  I love all of John's books.  The Courage to Start is my "go to" book for inspiration.  I have found the 1/2 marathon to be the perfect race for me.  It's enough of a challenge that you can't just show up without training but the training is very doable even with family responsibilities. 

After sticking with this for much longer than any diet I ever did, I still have family & friends that ask "Are you STILL running?"  Like you, I find that discouraging but when you really think about it, what percentage of people run a marathon or 1/2 in their lives?  Not that many.  So maybe it does seem like an unachievable goal to a lot of people.  I always ask if they'd like to join me for a run sometime and then the excuses start..."bad back, bad kness, too busy"....then I'm reminded of why I'm glad to be off the boat of excuses. 

Stick with it!  You CAN DO IT!

• weeno8 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    12. Jun 29, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to Malyna33)

Hi! I couldn't help but respond after reading your post. My triathlete coworker had to drag me, kicking and screaming, into running. It was her idea that as an office we run the Big Sur Marathon Relay. I have never been a runner, though I tried a few times but hated it. However, knowing that I had people depending on me was the motivating pressure I needed to research training plans and get serious. I started training in January; mostly walking with just a few minutes of jogging - and worked my way up to 5 miles by the end of April for my leg of the Relay.  

A big motivator for me was watching the film "Running the Sahara", a documentary about 3 runners that chose to run across the Sahara desert, and essentially ran a marathon every morning and afternoon while doing it!  Ray Zahab is one of the runners, and early in the film, as he talked about how he started running, he said he found that running is "90 percent mental, and 10 percent mental".  Everyone laughed, but as I ran my leg in the marathon a day later, I realized he was right.  I had trained for this moment.  My BODY was ready for this moment.  It was time for me to toughen up mentally and JUST DO IT!!! Finishing my first run was awesome, especially when it was at the Big Sur Marathon and I was surrounded by all that energy, all those people and such beautiful surroundings! It was such a high and such a personal accomplishment.

Since then, I ran a 5K on Mother's Day and amazed myself when I placed 3rd in my age group! I will now be running a 10K on the 4th of July and then will train to run a half marathon at some point.  I know that I have to keep going, that I have to keep racing, because I have worked too hard to get here to let it all go and have to start over. In addition, signing up for races keeps me training pretty consistently; otherwise, I know I am not the type to just "go for a run". I always remind myself that running is MENTAL.

My point is, YOU can do this, no matter how much walking or running you're doing.  Walking is not the enemy.  In my eyes, you are a ROCK STAR for doing this, and you absolutely CAN do this.  Please do keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you need any more words of encouragement!!!  Just take it one day at a time.  Good luck!!!

• dmtoughguy Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 27, 2008
    13. Jul 6, 2009 7:23 AM (in response to Malyna33)

Good for u! I would suggest you try a 5k soon and see how that goes. That would be a stepping stone into a 1/2 marathon. As far as the naysayers and debbie downers that would make me train harder! Good job with the weight loss it is a lifestyle change!

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    14. Jul 15, 2009 3:41 PM (in response to Malyna33)

Absolutely you can do it. I'd try a 5k and or 10k before November to get the "feel" and a shorter term goal may help keep you motivated. As for those telling you "you can't do it". Its probably because THEY can't do it. Do the race and even if you walk some of it: Be very proud of yourself. 290 to 195 is a hugh accomplishment you should be very proud of. Your kids will thank you in 10 years when your still here.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points