Aug 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2007 11:30 PM

tomato is good

it's full of Vc

• livefree Pro 96 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    2. Mar 4, 2008 3:12 PM (in response to amyc)
    Re: tomato is good

I have a tomato garden where I grow several varieties every year. Some are yellow and some are red. I caught my dog in there one day eating them and had to throw him out. He can eat 15 tomatoes at a time! It doesn't matter if they are green or ripe. If I don't watch it, he will eat them faster than I can!

Yes, tomatoes are great. They contain more than just vitamin C. They are  also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6,

Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary

Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Potassium and Manganese. If you are looking to lose weight, add tomatoes to your diet. They will give you the nutrition you need, they are filling and they have a glycemic load of 3. That is very low and will be great for the waistline.

I like tomatoes for another reason. They have lycopene in them.  Lycopene is an antioxidant that has been linked to prostate cancer prevention in men. As men get older, it is inevitable that their prostate gland will grow. With that comes the possibility of getting cancer. It's not pleasant. So, I keep a jug of tomato juice in the fridge at all times. Tomatoes are a mans best friend except for my dog.

But make sure to drizzle your tomatoes with olive oil, the way the Italians

generally do, since lycopene needs some oil to be properly digested and

absorbed. Although I generally favor raw vegetables, scientists tell us that

processed tomato products are rich in lycopenes. This includes tomato paste,

tomato sauce and, of course, ketchup, which beneficially contains some oil.

For more information on tomatoes and their nutritional content, go to

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20hG.html

To read more about tomatoes and their effects on cancer, go to my blog and read the following post

Lycopene And Prostate Cancer

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...