Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2519 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 11:03 AM by chuntley RSS
jmcramer Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2009 9:25 PM

Pain on Outer Edge of Foot

First off, I realize that this topic was discussed in a different thread, but my problem isn't quite the same as anywheres else i can find.

I just starting running a couple weeks ago.  I haven't in a couple years.  I went out and bought a good pair of Nike running sneakers, but they were ones I just picked off a shelf (not fitted or anything).  So i have been running on a track, and the past couple of days, the outer edge of my right foot, right in the middle, really starts hurting.  It feels absolutely fine 5 minutes after I finish up.

I'm trying to be carful about all this, because I couple years ago I had knee surgery (also in my right leg) two different times for a crushed tibial plateau (I'm 21 yrs old btw).

So I don't know if i'm running a little wierd because of my knee problems, or its just the shoes, or idk what.  Any ideas on how to remedy this situation, because i'm just starting to get into all this.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Jun 16, 2009 6:28 AM (in response to jmcramer)
    Re: Pain on Outer Edge of Foot

The key benefit of buying shoes at a running store is to get the expertise of the people there.  I would go back with new shoes in hand and tell them what happened, tell them of the pain, and get their take on whether those shoes are right for you.  Be sure you get someone who seems to know what they're talking about.  I bought shoes at the beginning of my career from a "knowledgeable" running store employee.  It turns out they really screwed up and got me into something that was not right for me.

I'm not saying this will fix your issue.  But I also know that trying to chase a fix while having shoes that might not be right can be an exercise in futility.  And there are enough stories out there that start like this then completely resolve themselves when they get in the right shoes, that it warrants a return trip.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,336 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jun 16, 2009 9:58 AM (in response to Haselsmasher)

The shoes are definitely something that should be checked. Another possiility: assuming you're running in the traditional counter-clockwise direction, the outside of the right foot gets a little extra stress as you go around each corner of the track. Try running the other way, or alternate directions.

Len

Len

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    3. Jun 17, 2009 7:08 AM (in response to jmcramer)

It is too hard to tell what the problem may be.  It could be the shoes - it might be too tight or it could be the wrong shoes for you (and it makes you supinate which rolls your foot outwards).  It could be the onset of PF (plantar fasciitis) - especially so if you have an ache/pain in that area in the morning. 

James

James
  • Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    5. Jun 18, 2009 12:40 PM (in response to jmcramer)

You might be a supinator like me. That means you come down on the outside of your foot. I've had similar pain, but it tended to go way as the runs progressed (It would happen at the beginning of the run). I'd suggest a few things: 1.) get some quality cushion in the shoes so your foot muscles are not flexing to the point of pain. Spenco PolySorb Walker/Runners are great for this. Throw out your factory insoles. 2.) get a tennis ball and while sitting, use the ball to relieve any tension in your foot. Press the tight foot area directly into the ball as hard as you can, even standing on it. You might have to go easy at first. 3.) try to relax your feet while you are running.

Paul

• chuntley Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009
    6. Jun 22, 2009 11:03 AM (in response to jmcramer)

You might have peroneal tendon pain. The peroneal tendons are on the outside of your foot, starting just above the ankle, with the longest tendon looping under the outside of your foot to reach a point near your big toe. 

I've often had pain there, right at the notch where the tendon wraps under the outside edge of my foot. It's apparently pretty common for those of us with Scottish ancestry.

Besides getting wider shoes I've also found that lightly stretching of the peroneal muscle (outside of your shin, above the ankle) gives me almost immediate relief. Here's how the stretch works:

1. Sit down with your leg straight in front of you.

2. Keeping your leg straight, loop a medium sized bath towel around your foot, crossing the ends so that your outer hand is pulling on the inner side of your foot.

3. Pull with your outer hand until the bottom of your foot turns inward, like it's trying to "clap" the other foot.You'll know it's right if you feel a light stretch on the outside of your lower leg.

4. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat two more times with the same leg.

Be sure to do both legs. Also don't to cheat the stretching time. If you're not careful to hold the stretch then the stretch reflex can actually cause you to get tighter and ratchet up the pain. (I learned this one the hard way.) 

You can find other peroneal stretches online but this one seems to work for me without over doing it. The towel gives me complete control over the stretch. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points