Skip navigation

17091 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2010 4:40 PM by Sueze RSS 1 2 Previous Next
MelaMarla Amateur 13 posts since
Aug 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2009 7:37 PM

Help with Plantar fasciitis/Heel spur

Unfortunately, I am a bit overweight and could stand to use approximately 50lbs. I was in the process of working towards my fitness goal doing crossfit (which I found to just love).  However, I incurred an injury with my heel. For years, I've been stiff getting out of bed or stiff after periods of exercise but I've always sucked it up...Now that I've gotten out of shape and attempted to get back what I considered I lost now I'm having this problem. I have a MRI scheduled for this Friday and I'll learn the specifics of the condition. I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight.

M. Jones

• csmallwood Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 17, 2009
    1. Jun 17, 2009 10:00 AM (in response to MelaMarla)
    Re: Help with Plantar fasciitis/Heel spur

I had this problem in November. Could not run until April.  I had been experiencing the pain on impact in my heel area before November, but it got so bad then that I could not even put my full weight on it at times.  The doctor I went to prescribed a boot to keep my heel from direct contact when walking and said not to run for a while-maybe 5 months.  I could not really wear the boot.  But i did try to keep my foot elevated in the evenings (in a lazy-boy chair) and stretched it-look on line for stretches.  He prescribed anti-inflammatories too, but i do not like to take medications as a rule.  He advised using ice when i could elevate my foot.  I did that for about 1-2 months in the evening when i was done with everything.  I am sure it helped as it started at inflammation from an over-use injury.  So-stretching made all the difference in the world, first thing when you get up and then a couple times throughout the day.  He also prescribed orthotics.  LOVE THEM.  I don't think I would be able to run without them.   I used the elliptical for a couple of months becuase it did not require my heel the constant banging against pavement/ground as running does.  It gives you a toning work out but not the same as running.  Now I can run again with no pain sometimes and occasional pain at other times.  But nothing like it was.  I was unable to walk without excruciating pain before and tightness on the bottom of my foot.  Stretching exercises and orthotics.  Good luck.  It does get better.

• KMKISER Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    3. Jun 17, 2009 8:55 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

<![endif]><![if gte mso 9]>

<![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]>

Mr. Jones,

The solution to your problem by your doctor may be rest ice and more rest,

BUT I have experienced the same pain, and have a quick remedy. In high school I

first experience plantar fasciitis in football and it has been popping in and

out of my life ever since. The solution that I used every time to treat this nuisance

is that I put heel cups in my running shoes and boots(I’m also a marine). I

wear the heel cups until the pain is no longer noticeable, which is usually

about two weeks. And when i feel brave enough to take them out i do and see how

it goes. If the pain comes back just put the heel cups in. The stretches work

well too, but icing really doesn’t do anything for me but leave me with a frozen

heel...

Its great that you do crossfit, I don’t think that to this day that I have

found a better workout regime than crossifit. You should also consider running

"pose"(its all over the crossfit website, also check out

www.crossfitendurance.com). Instead of landing on your heel, you will learn to

land on your mid-foot which prevents this overuse injury.

Good luck with your injury and training,

semper fi,

Kyle-

• CycloZen Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 20, 2008
    4. Jun 19, 2009 6:58 AM (in response to MelaMarla)

I've suffered a much less severe version of what you're experiencing and have found that ice and mild strecthing are both helpful. However, I would have to disagree with adopting the "pose" method of running just yet.  If you are older and overweight you can really aggrivate the plantar fasciitis and also stress out the achilles tendon when you start spending more time landing on the mid-foot to ball of  foot. area.  That's not to say that it is a great long term goal but just that given your condition it is probably a good idea to take it slow with transitioning toward a "pose" form of running.  I would also avaoid stretching too intensely first thing in the morning.    A better approach would be to sleep with a Stratsburg sock or socks which gently stretch both the calf muscles as well as the bottom of the foot overnight.  When you wake up you should slip right into a support shoe or slipper (Birkenstocks or Stegmans).  During your work day you should do some foot excercises (i.e. pushing the  foot inward and outward agagainst a solid object; pushing or lifting the top of the foot up against a solid object). Before your work outs you shouldn't stretch but instead do some gentle movement prep.  When you workout (run) you should start slow to warm up and end slow to warm down.  After your work out you should stretch and then ice.

• Luv2Bike Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008
    5. Jun 20, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to MelaMarla)

Mr. Jones,

I have had this problem for approximately 2-years.  I finally found the simple solution after spending a lot of time and money on Doctors.  Never get out of bed without stretching your foot.  Take a towel in both hand, place your toes into the towel and pull your foot upward toward your knee.  Hold this until you count to 30, repeat.  Never walk barefooted.  Wear shoes or flip flops with arch support.  Five time aday (or more) sit in a chair, put your ankle on your knee, take the oposite hand and pull your toes  upward toward your knee.  Before you start any exercise stand facing a wall approximately two feet  away, place both hand on the wall, lean forward until you feel your calf muscles stretch, hold until you count to 30.  The more you do the exercise the farther from the wall you can stand.  If you do everything I tell you to do you will get over this Plantar fascitis problem.  This will work. 

Good Luck,

Love 2 Bike

• Spinrider_1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    7. Jul 9, 2009 2:44 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

I have read all about you experience with the heel, and I felt identified with you, I have expected lots pain in my heel  and my knee since agust 2008, when  i got up in the morning i could not walk  after the training before, i had to get on bed. I visited Podiatry and Orthopidec, I did all type streching recomended: rolling  my foot with a frizzed plastic bottle, using the tower in my foot getting out  of my bed, ice, a boot for sleep,  anti- inflamation but it  have became long  because i do not like to take medicine and  I did not stop my routine of trainning, well finally, it turned me off  from all  my activities even my work as a Personal Trainer and instructor Spinning. I had to rest for one month on bed and  using support knee I could come back  to me training  again running my 3.5 mile before and after my ride on bike, but I left  jumping rope,and  weighlifting that still killing me...I got sad, because It have limited me to reach my goal  and i 'm fighting vs some extra pound.

• alroad431 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 20, 2007
    8. Jul 17, 2009 6:03 AM (in response to MelaMarla)

Although this thread may be dated, I'll offer my two cents; weight loss is critically important, but, in addition, take a look at TriggerPoint Therapy. I've been plagued with plantar fasciitis for years and used a lot of different therapies. I started using TriggerPoint therapy about three years ago while training for my marathon/triathlon season. Although I still have pf issues, they're not at the level of incapacitation they once were, so tp it has worked for me. The manipulation may seem strange initially, but physiologically it makes sense. The website is at: www.tptherapy.com. Good luck.

• alroad431 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 20, 2007
    10. Jul 17, 2009 9:57 AM (in response to MelaMarla)

MelaMarla - In the "For Whatever It's Worth" and "Unsolicited Advice" Departments, your pf issues are obviously acute.  Compounded by the addition of a torn Achilles tendon, your walking/running program should be curtailed - (read that to mean "stopped") - until you've allowed these existing maladies to heal completely.  Frustrating as that may be, I rather expect that your sports medicine practioner would/will advice the same.  During this self-imposed running hiatus, I'd recommend that you use the time to research, develop and implement a program to help you drop your extra weight.  There are a plethora of exercise, diet and nutrition options and alternatives available through this website.  Once you're healed, have lost the extra weight (or at least some of it), and have obtained medial clearance to again resume running, do so cautiously ... walk first, then slowly begin combining running.  Ensure that you use quality running shoes fitted to your foot structure.  Since you're already undergoing physical therapy, ask your therapist to evaluate your running biomechanics, i.e., hips, legs, knees, feet, etc. - you may be a candidate for custom orthotics which can help biomechanically challenged persons considerably.  Again - good luck.

• Spinrider_1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    12. Jul 19, 2009 7:52 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

You should try a boot for sleep and ice in your feet and antiflamatory for a while, another away try 1tabl CLa and 1 tabl L-Carletine both  in the morning  and  lunch other way the Hydroxicut (Fat burn) it work reducing inches at the abdomen i am sure that can help a lot, you can buy at the GNC  I am a Personal Trainer and I recommend you, and try to do Cardio, (jogging) at least 3 days a week.and some massage with Paraphine.if  you need some help let me know  to rider_312@yahoo.com,

have good day,

Marlene

• isletrigrrl Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    13. Aug 10, 2009 11:02 AM (in response to MelaMarla)

Sorry for the late chime-in, but I figure you're probably still dealing with this as it sounded acute. I've had pf in the past and have also coached a number of triathletes who've gone through it and have a couple of suggestions that haven't been raised. First off, agree totally with stopping running entirely. In fact, no running until you have no pain on walking. I also did elliptical and that helped but may aggravate your achilles problem. A great alternative is aqua jogging. Absolutely no strain on the lower leg but can be a great workout. Most women have enough body fat that they don't need a buoyancy belt, so just get into the water and start jogging. There are different schools of thought regarding style in the water during aqua-jogging, but I get my best workout when I stand upright and move my legs in a crosscountry skiing type motion, i.e., legs gliding back and forth against the water's resistance, rather than in a  "jogging" style (i.e., knee toward the chest), but it's also good (and less boring) to mix it up. Do it in deep water (i.e., not touching the bottom). You might think aqua-jogging is lame but you'll find it pretty demanding if you do it right and I know several people who have kept their fitness and even trained for an ironman race using aquajoggin! See a great article about aqua-jogging at http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6032&PageNum=1

Regarding stretching, etc... you do have to be a little careful not to overstretch so that you keep tearing the tendon, especially now that you have an achilles tear. However, a couple of things really helped me. Try to not walk in bare feet. Since it's worse first thing in the morning when the tendons shorten overnight, I would have a pair of good slippers (you probably call them flip-flops where you live) with arch support (Crocs make good ones) by the bed to step into before my feet hit the floor. I wore them around the house all the time. And made sure I only wore shoes with good arch supports. I used a gel heel pad sometimes if a particular set of shoes didn't have enough padding in the ****. Ice is better for reducing inflammation than medicinal anti-inflammants, which are so hard on your stomach and kidneys. Although I HATE icing my foot, it definitely helped. Just don't overdo that either (better to do it several times a day for only 10 minutes or so). There's also a great exercise to strengthen your plantar fascia that I still use to PREVENT pf. Take a small, thin towel such as a dish towel and put it on a wood or tile floor (not carpet). Place your heel on the near end of the towel and use your toes to pull the towel toward you, scrunching the towel under your foot. You'll feel your plantar tendon working on this one!

Good luck and hang in there! If you're smart and patient, this will get better and you will be back to enjoying your regular exercise routine.

• acfitsu Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 20, 2009
    14. Aug 20, 2009 1:26 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

Plantar fasciitis is often due to overuse or muscle tightness. I have seen it a lot during my 20 plus years career as a trainer. I don't see it a lot in the young athletes that I train, but I see it a lot in adults. More often than not it is tightness in the achilles tendon, calf muscle and the peroneals. If you can stretch those muscles on a regular basis, you most likely will stay injury free or be in less pain.

Remember to stretch even when you are not in pain. I do a muscular treatment called Repetitive Use Injury Therapy; 100% of my clients leave my office with at least 50% less pain than when they come in. Good luck to you let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

AC

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points