Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

57223 Views 628 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2009 7:58 PM by DeterminedRose 1 2 3 ... 42 Previous Next
DeterminedRose Pro 239 posts since
Mar 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2009 7:00 AM

* * * Spring Starters - October* * *

Good Morning All C25Kers!

This is your brand new monthly thread!

Come one, come all, everyone is welcome! Post and introduce yourself. See the next post for some helpful information.

We are a mixed group of new runners, most of us in the Couch to 5K program, but all sorts of weeks. I find that it's fun to have all weeks together, because I get encouragement not only from people in weeks ahead of me, but also from people in weeks behind me. And, it's so nice to be able to share information from people who have been there and done that!

Past threads are all here on CoolRunning.com, just look for the Spring Starters threads. They have great information! But, feel free to ask any question that is on your mind.

Please encourage one another, feel free to post when you are NEEDING encouragement! We are all accepting, so no negative/judgmental comments, please.

Music Resources for Couch to 5K program (summarized so nicely by Katie/AltheaRose):

Here:

Here's my favorite stretching video for shin splint prevention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv6ycmOWnq0&NR=1

Here are some additional podcasts you may want to look into:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

Christian Podcasts:

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/

Hip Hop - definitely NOT Christian

http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86

or

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN PODCASTS USING AUDACITY! (Using

your own cues and everything!)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

"Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.

It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other

operating systems."

Links on how to create podcasts using audacity:

http://www.how-to-podcast-tutorial.com/17-audacity-tutorial.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2012191_create-podcast-audacity.html

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_a_simple_voice_and_music_Podcast_with_Audacity

Or Google:

"use audacity to create podcasts"

Have you all checked out http://c25k.com/ ?

I got all my information from cool running, so I feel a little silly that I never saw http://c25k.com/ but I'm glad I did.

For instance, there is this podcast, for those of you who don't want to run to music, but might like the prompts:

Lestyn's C25K Podcasts: No Music (http://www.sbellcheck.co.uk/couchto5k/Couch_to_5K/Podcast/Podcast.html)

"The difference between this and Robert Ullrey's is that there is no music track, only audio cues of when to run and when to walk. This means you can run without music or add your own playlist in Garageband or any other audio recording software so you can run with your favourite songs or podcasts."

There are also inspirational articles and other useful tools you might find helpful.

Check it out!

http://c25k.com/

38 y/o Married, Mom of 3, work full time. Started C25K 3/22/09. Weight loss goal: 70 lbs overall. Current weight loss 30 lbs.

Pitter Pat 5K 3/14/09 (walking) 53:18
Lean Green 5K 4/4/09 (walk/run) 49:22
May Day 5K 5/2/09 (run/walk) 42.41
Kitchen Run 5/9/09 (run/walk just a widdle) 42 and change

Bass Pro Halloween Run 10/31/09  (run/walk)

• lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    1. Jun 19, 2009 1:16 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/19 - 6/28 * * *

Thanks Rose! I really just wanted to get the first word in. He He!   It occurs to me that there are other good resources to add to your first page. If I gather them, will you add them?

• aspins Pro 102 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    2. Jun 19, 2009 1:53 PM (in response to lehuagirl)

Rose--thanks for the new thread! We can certainly run through the pages!!

Lehuagirl--first in war, first in peace and first on the page of our thread!! lol

Polarhugcongrats on finishing week 6! We're at the same pointwonder if we were running at the same time?

Happy weekend and happy running everyone!

Ann

Completed C25K July 10, 2009!!  

Ramblin' Rose Triathlon August 23, 2009  Winston-Salem, NC

Dash for Divas Triathlon September 12, 2009  White Lake, NC

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    3. Jun 19, 2009 4:51 PM (in response to aspins)

UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH:(  totally aweful Week7 day3.  In my infinite stupidity I decided to map a new route from where I was dropping my daughter off on a playdate. 2.75 miles - perfect distance but I knew it was hilly.  What the HECK was I thinking, the hills were so crazy steep and long both directions, it was ****. I had to take count 'em 8 walk breaks and it took 41 mins to finish. I am utterly disgusted with myself, I should not set myself up for such failure and i should have been tougher and taken fewer breaks.....after 3 days of not running and being sick it was a dumb dumb move. mara

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• chr1svee Pro 96 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    4. Jun 19, 2009 5:52 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Week 9 complete!  I have graduated!

I ran 3.5 miles in 45 minutes.  I felt really strong in the second half of the run, like I could have run forever.  The first half was a bit more challening.

I really would not have been able to do this without the great support and shared experiences of the folks on this thread. Thanks so very much!

Now I have to figure out what's next.  Maybe OHR.  I definitely need some goals to keep me motivated.

C25K started on 06/19/11 and completed on 08/22/11!

8/6/11 -- Inaugural Harrisburg Hydro 5k Walk/Run (not timed)

• SSLeia Rookie 4 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    5. Jun 19, 2009 7:54 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi everyone!

I didn't check in last week but I'm still at it!   Last week, I started week 6.  The first two runs were terrible!  I struggled through them and was so sore.  I decided to skip the last run to have an extended break and redo week 6 this week.  I am very glad I did because the first two runs have been MUCH improved.  I do W6D3 tomorrow. 

I think I may have had trouble because I started doing some strength workouts on off days and it was just too hard on my body.  Hopefully tomorrow will go well too.  I am a little nervous about Week 7 next week...  Keep up the good work everyone!

Take Care,

Leia 

• erniedee Amateur 40 posts since
    May 11, 2009
    6. Jun 20, 2009 5:00 AM (in response to SSLeia)

W6D2 done! Done in a torrential thunderstorm, but done When it's time for my run, it's time for my run, no matter what the weather. I felt like a bit of a crazy person, but it was also kind of fun. The 2 10 minute runs weren't so bad, but I really can't believe I'm done with intervals.

A little worried about the 25 minutes tomorrow, especially since I'll have to do it early am before I've really fueled up for the day - but I'll give it a go. The worst than can happen is that I don't finish & need to repeat the day. I"ve proven that I can bounce back from those setbacks.

I posted this in the old thread, but will try again here...I wanted to get the Nike+ for my IPOD Nano, but I don't have or want Nike shoes. Are there other options?

Keep Running!

Erin

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    7. Jun 20, 2009 6:50 AM (in response to erniedee)

I just finished W4 D2!  It was challenging for me, but I did it!  I can't believe that at the end of next week I will have a 20 minute run... I just tell myself that lots of people have completed C25K and so can I. 

I am also interested in the Nike +, but I love my Brooks and would not consider changing shoes.  I will be reading to see what the response is to erniedee.

Thanks for all of the inspiration, all of you keep me moving!

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    8. Jun 20, 2009 7:20 AM (in response to erniedee)

erniedee: There are pouches you can put the fot pod in that attach to your shoelaces. You do not need the nike+ shoes.  They sell them online at Amazon but I got mine at Dick's sporting goods. My model was made by Nathan's.

Maria

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• pigskinprincess Rookie 17 posts since
    May 4, 2009
    9. Jun 20, 2009 10:00 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Just a quick check in to say: I FINISHED MY FIRST 5K!!!  Week 9 is also complete!!!

I met all my personal goals, which were: run the entire time and finish in under 35 minutes.  I'm not sure what my exact time was because my GPS program on my iPhone wasn't locked and got reset somewhere in mile 2.  I believe I ran it in around 32 minutes, so I'm proud of myself!  Can't wait for the next one!

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    10. Jun 20, 2009 1:52 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Finished week 8 today!! It is warm and humid so I ran inside on the treadmill.  With about 15 minutes left my ipod's batteries decided to go dead!  I am so used to having my music that I didi not think i could finish-but I did.  I found that I felt more relaxed during my run throughout it-did not have the aches at the beginning as I usually do.  Not many people at the club today.  I haven't changed speed on the treadmill from the beginning but feel real comfortable at the pace I was going! felt like a snail compared to the guy next to me who had his up to 8.0 at one point but I know that doesn't matter!!!

Maria

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• astarrc Amateur 62 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    11. Jun 20, 2009 5:56 PM (in response to chr1svee)

chr1svee: Congrats on completeing C25K

I will be done in two weeks, was thinking about what to do after, you mentioned OHR any other suggestions? I also saw someone mention gateway to 8K. What is everyone thinking about doing after C25K

APril 23, 2011 -- First Annual Red Ribbon Run 5K - 35:55

2 year break from running - ugh..  health issues and laziness

July 4, 2009 -- Annual Melon Run 3 Miler - 40:03.28 

• flyshopgirl Expert 46 posts since
    Dec 29, 2008
    12. Jun 20, 2009 7:13 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Good evening!  I started the C25K program this past week.  I finished week 1 day 1 yesterday (round 2) and am feeling it a little bit today!  But it felt so good to know that I DID it.  I'm doing this with a friend and our goal is to run a 5k in August.  We've been walking a loop around one of the large parks between our houses since the beginning of June and were really happy yesterday when we finished!  We were a little over halfway through the loop when we finished the C25K intervals (courtesy of my Iphone!).  I am really excited to do this.  I ran a 5k a few years ago and was REALLY happy afterwards...it was amazing.  I like the way I feel after each run and the fact that I'm not nearly as tired in the evening as I was during the school year.  I hope I can keep this up when school starts!

• jubee13 Pro 181 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    13. Jun 21, 2009 7:25 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

Mara - don't be discouraged! Hills are really hard, and you worked it out for 41 minutes. That's awesome! What do you plan to do when this program is finished?

Today was Week 8, Day 1 for me. I keep waiting for this 3 mile thing to get easy...but I've made it through and that's what counts. It was terribly hot and humid here in Alabama, even at 6am. I am a little nervous about the heat and humidity for my 5K (July 10) because it starts at 7pm!

I am going to run tomorrow also since we are leaving for vacation tomorrow night. I would love to find a place to run there outside, but if not, I'll do the treadmill.

flyshopgirl - are you a teacher or student? I am asking because you mentioned not being as tired as you are during school. I am a teacher and I have lots more energy during the summer. I plan to keep up the running when school starts back. I have been exercising in the early mornings before work for years, but I'm not that consistent. It's too easy to turn off the alarm when it goes off at 4:45 am! The C25K has really helped me be consistent.

Hope everyone has great runs!

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    14. Jun 21, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to jubee13)

Hi Jubee13 - thanks for the encouragement. I went out an redid Week 7 Day 3 today on my regular route.  I did 2.75 miles in 36 minutes but that included a 4 minute walk break up one hill - probably almost 2/10ths of walking. So I feel mixed right now - it was much improved over my last fiasco (i mapped it - it was a 225' climb over a 1.25 that killed me) still not the 2.75 in one shot.  I am thinking of driving to a local rail trail that is flat, dirt and shady to try Week 8 Day 1.  I think I am about ready to progress but going someplace flat should tell me if I need to hang in week 7.  I don't want you to get too far ahead so we can move our group on to the next level after graduation! Enjoy vacation and post when your back.

Way to go Chr1svee - have you thought about the One Hour Runner program?

Sayhellotofrogs - checkin in.

Question of the day - does everyone feel as if the first mile or so is torture???

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

1 2 3 ... 42 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...