Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1768 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 9:05 AM by lenzlaw
cornboy72 Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2009 1:04 PM

At a Crossroads?

I just finished my second 5K today and was rather disappointed with my time. Before today's race, I found a half marathon that is 14 weeks out. After today's performance I am contemplating pushing out the half and improving my 5k time. Any advice? or am I overreacting to my poor time today?

Thanks,

-J

• CarriT Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 3, 2008
    1. Jun 20, 2009 7:30 PM (in response to cornboy72)
    Re: At a Crossroads?

First, congradulations of finishing you second race.  That alone is an acomplishment.  I only ran one 5k before my first half marathon last year and ended up with a time of 2:16.  I was happy I finished, period.  I am currently training for my second half that takes place Sept 13.  Personally, I think 14 weeks is plenty of time for you.  Seems like you are being a little hard on yourself and need to take a pat on the back for the races you have done.  Take if from me, if I can do it.....so can you.  Good Luck!!!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Jun 21, 2009 5:43 AM (in response to cornboy72)

it rather depends on your goals and your build - some people are just designed better for the short race some for the long haul - training for a 1/2 will improve your 5k times just from consistent running but if your ultimate goal is to improve your 5k as much as possible you would better following a dedicated 5K plan.

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    3. Jun 21, 2009 5:52 AM (in response to cornboy72)

I agree that you are talking about two completely different goals here - each with a different training focus.  Improving your 5K (speed) involves a different regimen than training for an HM (endurance). 

You didn't give much background about your current running ability.  When you say you did "poorly" in your second 5K, does that mean you did it in 26 minutes or 46 minutes?      (it is all relative, after all!)   When you say you did your second 5K, does that mean you've been running for a year or two and just don't run many races, or you just started running a few weeks ago?   How many miles/week do you run?  What is your HM time goal - or is it just to finish?

Maybe if you can give a little more information about where you're coming from and what your goals are, we can give you some more specific advice.  Good luck on your goals!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    5. Jun 21, 2009 9:03 PM (in response to cornboy72)

Sorry, I had issues when trying to edit my post.  Will try again later.....

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    6. Jun 22, 2009 8:25 AM (in response to cornboy72)

Ok - you can`t run all your training runs at race pace - you`re buring out

it`s one thing running a 5k at a 9-10 pace - holding that for a full 13 miles is another story -  from your 5k results I think you should be aiming for a 10:30 - 11 mm pace at a half marathon.

To balance your half and 5k aims I would suggest following a novice half program like Hal Higdons but add 1 day of 1/4 mile intervals to help you build pace.

Cross training and resistance training are also important

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,408 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jun 22, 2009 9:05 AM (in response to cornboy72)

- To compare the two 5K races, you also have to compare the courses (flat/hilly, roads/trails, number of turns), number of participants, weather and how you were feeling each day.  The two are close enough that any of these could have been the difference.

- You're training runs are faster than your 5K races. What's wrong with this picture? A 5K race would typically be at least a minute per mile faster than your everyday training pace.

- You need to do a better job of organizing your training. Finding a good training plan, as Spicegeek suggests, will help you do that.

If you're consistent with your training and follow a good plan, you might be able to hit a 10-minute pace for the half by the Fall.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...