Skip navigation

27582 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2010 7:54 AM by TheFlush RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
dorothy800 Amateur 9 posts since
Jun 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2009 3:32 PM

How are allstar players picked?

I would like information on how most leagues pick the allstar teams.In my town the coaches each recomended their players and the coach that was given the alstar coach position dismissed their players and took most of the members from his team . Is there any rules on this?

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 225 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Jun 20, 2009 3:52 PM (in response to dorothy800)
    Re: How are allstar players picked?

You need to obtain a copy of the Bylaws and rules of your league where your son plays. Most leagues have a voting system of some sort whether it be the coaches or the players or a combination of. In many leagues the all star coach is usually given two to four spots to complete the team. Again you need to read your league rules.

May 30, 2007
    3. Jun 20, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to dorothy800)

Which league does your son play in?  Little League?  Pony?  Cal Ripken /Babe Ruth?  If he is in any of these leagues they are required to have bylaws, rules and procedures.  It looks like someone is lying to you.  You will need to go over the head of your league to get to the bottom of it.

May 30, 2007
    4. Jun 20, 2009 4:51 PM (in response to MyTwoSons)

If your son is in one of those leagues the president is going to have some 'splaining to do.

May 30, 2007
    5. Jun 20, 2009 5:27 PM (in response to MyTwoSons)

Little League Bylaws, Local Rules & Ground Rules or http://www.littleleague.org/leagueofficers/Bylaws__Local_Rules___Ground_Rules.htm

For Little League: 

Each local Little League Board of directors should adopt its own bylaws, local rules or ground rules (the terms are interchangeable.) This document or documents expire annually at the end of the fiscal year and must be renewed annually. They normally include the local board's procedures for selection of Tournament Teams (All Stars), specific ground rules for various divisions (such as whether or not the 10-run rule will be used), etc.

Because each local Little League board of directors should have authority to change these types of procedures, they require only board consent, without the general membership's approval. No part of the bylaws, local rules or ground rules can conflict with or supercede any Little League rule, regulation or policy.

• lischarves Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2007
    7. Jun 25, 2009 11:54 AM (in response to dorothy800)

I am also questioning how they pick for the travel teams.  My son "tried out" last year for the 8 year olds, but they never took anyone's name down.  The whole process seems fixed, it should be based just on tryouts.  Every kids should get a chance to tryout, not just get on a team because you happen to be friends with the coach.

May 30, 2007
    8. Jun 25, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to lischarves)

Please read my first reply.  You need to ask your board members for the rules of your league.  They are the only ones that can answer your question.

May 30, 2007
    11. Jun 25, 2009 9:42 PM (in response to dorothy800)
    Re: How are all star players picked?

Perhaps you should look at other options when it comes to leagues. Sometimes the best choice is to pull your kid from the league or find him a club team for the summer. In my area I can have have my son in Little League or at one of 5 different Pony Leagues. There is also plenty of year round club ball. Personally I don't care about all stars because I have an older son that went through all the political junk. He is now a starter on the varsity team and most of the kids that had the benefit of daddy ball now sit on the bench.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    13. Jul 6, 2009 11:37 AM (in response to dorothy800)

Little League has a "recommended" method for choosing the Tournament Team but it is only a recommendation.  LL leaves it up to the Local Leaague Board of Directors to decide how to select the players.  LL says that leagues should include how they select their Tournament Teams in their Local Rules.  Seems like your league did not do that so I "assume" your BOD just said "let the manager decide" who he/she wants on the team.

As for the District Administrator (DA) getting involved, the DA has "no authority" to tell the league how to select the players, as I said above this is totally a Local League decision.

The horse has left the barn for this year so I would suggest that for next year you "make sure" that the Local Rules include the method for selecting you Tournament Team players (and I would NOT suggest it be left totally up to the manager).

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...