Skip navigation

3647 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2007 2:58 PM by Anthony_All3 RSS
mcacialli1981 Rookie 15 posts since
Aug 20, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2007 4:58 AM

How to make lap swimming interesting/fun?

Hey all,

So I'm training for my second Tri of the season and I really want to do well on the swim (the swim is a 1/2 mile, my longest swim yet). But I'm so bored swimming laps! Ugh. I feel like a fish in a tank swimming back and forth, back and forth, back and.... you get the idea . When I run or bike I see interesting things, I smell BBQ and fresh cut grass, I connect w/ my environment (sun sets, cool breezes...)Here is my question:

How do you keep swimming entertaining? What do you do to make lap swimming fun??:|

Melissa

• Anthony_All3 Legend 237 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    1. Aug 30, 2007 5:07 AM (in response to mcacialli1981)
    Re: How to make lap swimming interesting/fun?

MelissaTexTri,

Your not alone, we all get bored from all those mind numbing laps.  You should try to mix it up with different interval or ladder sets, vary the speeds, distances, and even strokes.  Do you do kick sets, pull sets, or any fast 25's, these can all be a good break from the norm and will train the fast twitch muscles fibers as well as your anaerobic system, which increase endurance at race pace.  Good luck, let me know you would like me to send you some sample sets, there are too many to list here, I have over 20 years experience, so I have a few that will keep you going I think, and may even get you a PR.  Check out my post in Ocean Swim for tips on navigating the open water starts and swims.

-Anthony

Aug 8, 2007
    3. Sep 3, 2007 8:13 AM (in response to mcacialli1981)

Sure, I would love to.  I have been busy with home projects lately, so I haven't got anything together for you.  Please let me know if you have a race coming up(when and where), along with some of your swimming splits(100m), and any specific goals you have related to times or distance, and that should help me help you a little more efficient.  You can also let me know if you struggle with a particular part of your stroke, I can give you some form work sets to improve there as well. 

-Anthony

• ltubound Community Moderator 93 posts since
    Aug 20, 2007
    4. Sep 4, 2007 1:52 PM (in response to mcacialli1981)

FishboyI call him this because I cannot remember how to do the <(()(< thing or whatever knows what he is talking about, I am surprised he doesn't have gills by this point. The swim sets are most entertaining. Except sometimes when training for the long swims it is important to put the mileage in from time to time to test the endurance machine.

Aug 8, 2007
    5. Sep 5, 2007 12:01 PM (in response to ltubound)

All,

I have put together a spreadsheet of some key workouts for a few members.  Please let me know if you are interested, I can forward them to you.

Anthony

• blackholesun Rookie 19 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    6. Sep 5, 2007 1:28 PM (in response to mcacialli1981)

1. Wear fins They give your legs a great workout and increase ankle flexibility, which is crucial for strong kicks.

2. Pick up the pace Go faster for a lap or two.

3. Do a stroke other than the crawl You'll bust your rut and work different muscles.

4. Use a kickboard (sparingly) Boards really work your legs because your arms aren't generating any power. Overusing one, however, can play havoc with your form and body position.

5. Swim under water Just take out the earplugs if you use them -- the increased water pressure could force them into your ear canal.

• SaraP Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    7. Sep 7, 2007 10:52 AM (in response to mcacialli1981)

When lap swimming, I'm constantly focusing on my swimming form.  Using the techniques described in the book, Total Immersion as a starting point, I evaluate each stroke and ask myself how it feels.  If something feels like it's making me more hydrodynamic, I concentrate on maintaining it.  If I don't feel like I'm gliding through the water, I analyze what I could do to improve.

Before reading Total Immersion, I'd alternate 200-yard Individual Medleys (50 butterfly, 50 backstroke, 50 breastroke, 50 freestyle) with 200-yard sets of lifesaving strokes (50 sidestroke, 50 inverted sidestroke, 50 lifesaving breastroke, 50 lifesaving front crawl).  I did the lifesaving strokes at the pace I'd do if I were hurrying to rescue someone.

• Coach Cherilyn Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    8. Sep 10, 2007 9:48 PM (in response to mcacialli1981)

Hi Melissa.  I write a weekly swim workout for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels with plenty of variety.  You can access it for free on my website, www.dcsuiter.com.

Good luck!

Cherilyn

• gjbfwin Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 11, 2007
    9. Sep 11, 2007 6:08 AM (in response to mcacialli1981)

Melissa,

You need to get a SWIMP3 from Finis. Check out http://www.finisinc.com/products-swimp3v2.shtml. Its an MP3 player that really works underwater while swimming. It works through bone conduction, and sounds much better than you'd think. I wear ear plugs to keep out the swishing sound of the water.

I know it sounds like an exaggeration, but this thing was life changing for me. I've been training for an Ironman, doing a lot of long swims. This cuts down on a lot of the drudgery of lap swimming. Actually look forward to it.

Greg

Aug 8, 2007
    10. Sep 12, 2007 2:58 PM (in response to gjbfwin)

A word of caution if you are serious about improving your swim form.  MP3 players distract from your biomechanics, and when you are not thinking about form most likely it is not as good as it could be, just a word of advice if you are REALLY serious about form.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points