Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11187 Views 134 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 9:31 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Jul 26, 2009 8:57 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: July - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Up early and had every intention of running a local 5K.  Opened the garage door at 6 a.m. and almost got knocked over by the air.  86 degrees and it was not going to get any cooler, and very high humidity.  I said heck with it and went to the lake instead for a slow 8 miler and barely struggled through that.  This is going to be a tough week, and KS has it even worse down south of me.   Spareribs

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    109. Jul 26, 2009 4:25 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Same name different guy.  Ages dont match.

Have a great week, all.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    110. Jul 27, 2009 5:11 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all,

5.75 miles this morning.   Humidity seemed overly oppressive this morning.  5.75 miles in what was suppose to be an ez recovery run.  First mile 8:25 and then avg 6:57 for 4.75.   Maybe one more run with son in the morning before they head out.   Loading their moving truck this morning.  That should be fun in this heat!

Have a good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    112. Jul 27, 2009 9:05 AM (in response to fred-urie)

5 miles this morning as my run got cut short by lightning. Happy to make it back to my car uncharred.  Spareribs

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    113. Jul 27, 2009 9:26 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi everyone!  My best mileage for a week, 48.7 miles/78.1 kms. Though it has not been hot here there has been very high humidity- at least twice this week I could not find a single dry square inch of shirt to wipe the sweat from my eyes, and it was not raining.

I felt a moment of childish glee at being able to beat Rono's 5k time, but that is just an embarrasment- I wish I had never found that out! And after all his claims in that never-ending thread on another website about his training.....all rubbish!

Glad you didn't become barbecued Ribs! (Sorry, couldn't resist..)

Simon.

Aug 14, 2007
    114. Jul 27, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I love bbq ribz.

Rono is older and heavier.  But I for one am glad he is still out there pounding the pavement.  He must love it as much as I do.   I'm sure that pic is of him as I've seen his pic a couple other races.

• globaljeannie Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    115. Jul 27, 2009 2:35 PM (in response to fred-urie)

A bit nervous and quite exhilarated...I just completed my registration for the Carlsbad Half Marathon scheduled in January 2010.  At 58 years of age, this will be my first half marathon.  I plan to walk/run it and am glad to connect with other boomers who can provide recommendations regarding training programs, footwear, avoiding injury, etc.

I thank you, in advance, for your help!  First question---does anyone recommend the online training programs offered by Active.com?  Or are there better programs?

Best...

Globaljeannie

Aug 14, 2007
    116. Jul 27, 2009 2:44 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Welcome aboard Globajeannie - watch out for bbq ribz.

Tell us more about your athletic/running background so we know what kind of foundation you are starting with.

ribz is looking for someone to coach as he is temporarily out the coaching business

Aug 14, 2007
    117. Jul 28, 2009 6:05 AM (in response to fred-urie)

One of my young training partners was doing some good surges this morning on our 5.75 mile run.  I ran a progression run.  He bonked at 4 miles but still ran very well.   He is concerned he is not building base yet.      Little does he realize that doing these boring day after day runs seeing little progress (in his estimation) is going to make him formidable come fall in the cool weather.

Tomorrow 12 miles in the hills with the last 6 faster than the first 6.

couple of friends just got back from S.F. 1/2 marathon.   They ran the 1st half which is suppose to be hillier.  She was cooked at 10 miles but still ran a respectable time of 2:01.   They went non stop for 5 day sightseeing.  Had a great time.

Time is what I'm out of so off I go.  Have a good day all.

• Ms. Busy Bee Rookie 5 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    118. Jul 28, 2009 10:09 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi all,

KS -- nice to hear your friends were in SF for marathon and enjoyed sites.  I spent the Sunday morning watching the live broadcast of Tour de France.

In regard to my looking to riding my bike, I didn't feel confident enough to ride bike on less sleep this week due to watching Tour de France early in morning.

But, I did go out to walk for 1 1/2 hrs Sunday afternnon in the fog, my usual Sunset neighborhood 3 mile + walk that I used to use before Bay to Breakers footrace.

Then, I've been recovering from a cold with slight fever on Monday, yesterday.  It's in the high 50's-low 60's by the coast and cooler than usual.   Ms. B

Dec 14, 2007
    119. Jul 28, 2009 12:09 PM (in response to fred-urie)

KS, yes one has to have great patience during the summer down here.  I say, just put in the miles, pick it up where you can, and wait for the fall.  It has worked well for me every year, although obviously this year is all new to me.

Globaljeannie, what KS says is correct. Give us a bit more detail on what you are doing now, weekly mileage especially, and how far can you run?  You are on the right track with the run/walk combination, but maybe you can improve to the point you can slow jog the entire half by race day.  We'll see if we can help.  I am not crazy about the Active programs, but here are two others you might consider.  Since you are now using a combination of running and walking, why not look up Jeff Galloway's "Gallowalking" program and learn as much as you can.  As for another reliable program look up Hal Higdon's plans and see if he has one that is right for your age and goals.  His plans are generally pretty good.

After nearly becoming bbq'd ribs yesterday in my lightning-shortened run, I persevered through 9 sluggish miles today, then did a flex workout at the Y.  Feeling good.  Spareribs

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...