Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11178 Views 134 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 9:31 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Previous Next
  • Ms. Busy Bee Rookie 5 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jul 13, 2009 9:45 AM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: July - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Hi all,

KS...sorry about your friend's bike accident.  I'll be saying a prayer for your friend and your son.  I did take my relaxation tape with me on my walk to the koi pond on 41st Ave here in San Francisco.  I found it much nicer to listen to the sounds around me than the tape.  I enjoyed looking at the koi and watching runners, walkers and bikers. I found that muscles on then top left side of my left foot feel kind of stiff -- left ankle I injured in mid-May. I went home and did some stretching and rested. 

Hey, Fred...I've enjoyed watching the Tour de France...Monday, today is a day off for the tour.  I pulled out my old Bianchi Strada hybrid bike out ot the downstairs closet.  I haven't ridden it in in over ten years.  Do you think I need to take it in for a checkup?  I'm a little afraid to put air in the tires...ride it and have a blowout.  I'm only an elementary bike rider, so no fancy stuff like toe clips, but I do have two bike helmets.

Happy Monday all.    Miss B. Bee.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    61. Jul 13, 2009 9:57 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Miss B Bee.   Yes do go have your bike checked out.  It's been sitting too long.  And please don't go outside wearing both helments!! 

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    62. Jul 13, 2009 11:30 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Thanks for answering the question, KS! And a great 5k after a hard week.

I am in a 5k on Wednesday and was planning to change my schedule to get Tuesday as a rest day, maybe that's not necessary?

Sorry to hear about the hit and run, those are very severe injuries, best wishes for her recovery. 

Bee, I put my bike back in use last year after about 12 years in the garage, needed new rim tapes, inner tubes and tyres, plus a chain and gears adjusted, everything lubed.  You may need brake or gear cables.

My son is thinking about getting an entry level racing bike, something under $1500, maybe Giant or Trek, any words of advice? We know he needs a 54cm frame as he has short legs, and the most common gearset at that price seems to be entry level Shimano. Other than that I suppose its wide open..

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    63. Jul 13, 2009 11:38 AM (in response to SimonnR)

Fred, that is great range, most runners seem to start at middle distances and slowly move to the marathon as their careers develop. I read a profile on Ritz a couple of years ago, I think, he had overtrained and suffered stress fractures, was that under Hudson's guidance or after he changed coaches.

Hall it seems started off running the "wrong" distance, i.e. too short to be his best distance, then ran that 59 minute half and must have realised he could be an elite marathoner. Well I'm sure it wasn't that simple, but that's the legend!

Aug 14, 2007
    64. Jul 13, 2009 12:57 PM (in response to SimonnR)

Simon - my wife and I both ride Trek.  My son did too until he started being sponsored with a frame.  He has to furnish his own TT bike and he uses Cannondale.   Specialized along with those you mentioned are good bikes.

I have an update on my friend.  I learned this afternoon that Sat after receiving her via halo flight they did not expect her to survive.  No surprise really.  Sat. night upgraded her to parapalegic.  Sunday morning gave a very guarded and not promised full albeit slow and long recovery.   Learned also both lungs punctured, one side of chest crushed, plus 7 broken ribs.  They will operate twice this week; one from the front and one from the back to repair her spine.  They will proceed from that.   Also that she has the entire staff of one icu entirely to herself.  She will lack nothing in care and expertise at this hospital.   Isn't God good?

stay safe

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    65. Jul 13, 2009 6:51 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Yep, Ribs it was "Riblet" that prompted me to designate my little one as Nerdlet.  You could be setting a trend there.

KS, your friend will be in my thoughts also; it is good to hear there is some hope of recovery.

SimonR, thanks for the suggestion -- I guess I should be doing some run at slower pace,

and I've been thinking I might phase in a run on the weekend and slowly

build it up.  Also it would be be a chance to get out of the climate controlled gym and into the outdoors.

I think if I ever get on Sierra's track, I will have to wait until she finishes mile four or five and then start the race.  It looks like three is not enough

Aug 14, 2007
    67. Jul 15, 2009 6:10 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all.

Fred - nice mileage and speed.

This morning ran a very satisfying 10.25 on my hilly course.  Avg 7:50 with last 3 at 7:30, 7:12, and 6:52.   Mostly done before the sun came up so temps were only 78°.   Not too hard and not too easy; just felt good picking it up at the last.

Have a good day all.

<,missing>Euphoric<missing>

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    69. Jul 16, 2009 2:32 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, thanks for that Hudson article from Running Times.  Interesting.  I may have to rethink some things.

Work has interfered with my running this week, but it comes at a good time as I was planning on an easy week anyway.  Monday I ran 2 miles and then had to catch a plane.  Tuesday I was busy early to late at night and didn't run at all, and Wednesday I ran two miles along the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh.  68 degrees and I felt like I was flying (and freezing).  I must have looked like quite a sight at race pace past PNC Park in red and white shoes, black shorts and a red and white "Corpus Christi Roadrunners" singlet.  It's my favorite color-coordinated outfit.

I got in late last night and took Riblet to his track camp.  The coach is a former college track star who now teaches at Riblet's school.  I warmed up just a mile (90 degrees at 8 a.m. today) and did 2 x 200 (40, 39). This was pitiful, so I jogged a half mile or so and called it a day. I think I was just tired and it wasn't the heat.

Later I asked the coach if he saw me during either of my 200's and he said he had.  I told him, "I knew I was running them slow.  If I were in shape I wouldn't have been visible to the naked eye."   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    70. Jul 16, 2009 3:36 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Ribs - that's the best one I've heard in a while.  I'm going to steal that and use it locally.

5.75 progression run this morniing.  1st mile 8:40 last 6:51.   The techno geek in me saw that the garmin recorded fastest pace in the last mile of 5:22.  Too early to run that fast.  Will run another 5.75 tonight in the heat (which I love) just sweating and logging the miles.  Moving my daughter this weekend so maybe 10 tomorrow morning before the move and 10 Sat before we come home.   Makes it tough when I need to be doing an 18.

Have a good day all.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    71. Jul 16, 2009 6:51 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks KS. It's a good line and one you can use in many variations for trash talking, e.g., in a tenK, you are needling a competitor and say, "Look closely at me when we get to around the five mile mark because after that I'm going speed of light and no way you're seein' me."  Stuff like that.  It particularly annoys people who are faster than you.  I have no shame.

Also, I know you caught on, but for the benefit of the rest of the people on this thread, my "Corpus Christi Roadrunners" singlet is a gift from KS. It's his club's singlet.   He sent it to me last year and I am immensely proud of it.  Thanks once again. I wear it often but don't like to mention it a lot so as not to embarrass you.   Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    72. Jul 17, 2009 6:09 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's wife, KS. I'm glad that she's going to be OK after such a serious accident.   The narrow, winding road that I take to work each day is a  well-used bike route. Every time I see a biker there I hope that all who are driving past stay alert and give the person plenty of room.

I ran 4.2 and 4.3 miles at work on Tuesday and Wed of this week, both steady state at 9:30-10mm. Monday I walked three and a half. Yesterday was 6.5 along a coastal route with a little kick the last mile (A  20- something runner who had been walking when I passed her earlier on the run began running and caught up to me as I had slowed. She ran slightly past me...I couldn't let that go, accelerated and stayed just behind her until she stopped a short time later...Jeez, gotta control the competitive monster :). The temps were in the 70s with a nice breeze. Go inland just a few miles and it's near 100. So, I'm hugging the coast on most runs now. I wish I could send the cool breezes out to all of you in the heat. This week should total about 32 miles. I signed up for the Santa Clarita half marathon in November.

We had planned a backpack this weekend but just last night checked the weather--looks like thunderstorms all along the crest of the Sierra. Since we'd have our dog along for the first time up there, and we didn't want to repeat a trip we did several years ago where we sat in the rain all weekend, we canceled. Just as well.. We're remodeling our old bathroom

Bob, I'll look for you out on the track at the 5 mile mark   I see a fair amount of kids who could be your Nerdlet. There's a little girl who looks like a life-time runner in the making.

That sounds like a nice outfit, Ribs. So kind of KS to give that to you.

Take care all.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...