Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11181 Views 134 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 9:31 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Jul 17, 2009 8:51 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: July - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Thanks Fred.  I should do them in 37-38 or thereabouts.

6.2 this morning in cooler temps, just under 90, which is a big deal down here.  About 9:15 pace as my running partner is a tad faster than I am and it's great to run with her.  Did a flex and core workout at the Y afterwards.  Good start to the weekend.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    76. Jul 17, 2009 10:30 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

6.2 miles at 7 am this morning on the track. About 70 degrees. Several other people were there to beat the heat that's to come. It's humid today with high clouds. If it's like this here, It's definitely going to thunderstorm in the mountains. 1,250 meter swim afterwards.

Losing weight does make such a difference in how you feel running, KS.  A few months ago, I dropped about 6 or 7 pounds and felt much lighter and faster when I ran. I'm 5'7 and between 130-135, which on me is slender (it's my mesomorph build).  In my 20s I was about 120-125, which for me was skinny.  I've thought about getting down to 125 againI did it about two years ago. I have several family members who are prone to gaining weight and are fairly large people. I can see where heredity might lead and I don't want to ever go there...One sister, however, was severely anoerexic as a girl (she overcame it). We're very closewe began running at about the same age and she's been running ever since. She's not interested in racing, though I think she'd do well if she ever had the desire.

Have a good day all.

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    78. Jul 18, 2009 1:00 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

A common model holds that rate at which energy is consumed during running is proportional to both weight and speed.  If we take that as a given and plug through the math, you get a very simple result -- for each pound lost the number of seconds by which the one-mile time is reduced (at whatever pace; the key is having the s ame level of exertion after the weight change, but sped up a tiny bit) would be found just by dividing one-mile time by your total weight.  That would typically be two to three seconds per mile per pound. 

Or so goes the math anyway.  But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating of it, meaning your experience probably carries more weight than the math.  And that must especially be true in a soft science like physiology.

I ended up with 25 miles for the week, but ran out of energy on Friday. I half expected that because the total mileage is a bit more than the 10% rule would allow, plus I was using an incline of 1% on thurs and friday which increased the intensity of those sessions just a tiny bit.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    79. Jul 18, 2009 1:33 PM (in response to BobTheNerd)

That's a good number of miles this week, Bob. Inclines do make you more fatigued so that's definitely a factor in the # of miles you run when you're increasing mileage.

I miscalculated my runs on the track this week--two were at 6.75 miles rather than 6.2. (that higher math...:) --I finally got the calculator out). I planned to run four miles on the HS track today but felt good so I kept going for  6.75. So, 36.75 for the week. Very pretty sunrise, with high scattered clouds over the valley and mountains. Hot now.

I hope it's not too hot where you all are now.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    80. Jul 20, 2009 5:05 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I think I strained a muscle in my back, don't know how, but it knocked me out of running on Saturday.  On Sunday I went out to the lake to test it and ran a slow first mile.  It was fine, so I ran six miles and left it at that.  It's still sore but much better than it was, so I'll go out later today and try it again.  Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    81. Jul 20, 2009 6:00 AM (in response to fred-urie)

ez does it Ribs.   Isn't it amazing how easily we hurt ourselves after 40.   That back wouldn't even have acted up in your 20's.

6.75 miles as the sun was coming up this morning.  Temps not bad but humidity is almost too much.  Still extremely tired after moving daughter this weekend.

Have a good start to your week all.

• Ms. Busy Bee Rookie 5 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    84. Jul 20, 2009 9:30 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi folks...it's Ms. Bee here...I took my Bianchi hybrid bike for a checkup...received an A OK from the Bike Nook manager on Thursday.  I walked the bike two miles to and from the bike shop. (forgot to bring at least one bike helment with me, so I walked my bike home; and I have two bike helmets, too...oops) Spoke to telemarketer from Florida who is not too thrilled about El Nino weather pattern because of the uncomfortable muggy weather.  Weather is a little cooler than normal than usual--hight 50's at the coast in San Francisco.  Inland to be in the high 90's.

Keep up the good work all.    Ms. Bee

Aug 14, 2007
    85. Jul 21, 2009 8:46 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all. 

Ms. B - Better get out for a ride!

6.75 miles again this morning about a minute faster than yesterday on more hilly terrain.  Not intentional; just happened.  Will run easier tonight with dw.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    87. Jul 21, 2009 1:10 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Good to hear from you all!

I missed a couple of runs last week because of various little aches and pains, total only 28 miles/45 kms. I will repeat the week of my training programme as I have  a couple  of weeks in hand.

Sierra, you really do some long swims, very impressive. I don't recall if you have mentioned doing triathlon?

Fred, tough progression run you did last week, and may I ask why you ran 3 times in a day?  (My heartrate is more responsive to coffee than yours!) I think we have only reached 30 degrees C (86F) on one single day this year so far. All my grass is still nice and green, usually starting to go brown by now.

Aug 14, 2007
    88. Jul 21, 2009 3:01 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Simon - keep an eye on Fred's heart rate if he continues to post them.  He has the most efficient/lowest heart rate of anyone I've heard of.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...