Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11177 Views 134 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 9:31 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    91. Jul 22, 2009 12:43 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: July - 50 Plus Training and Racing

currently 93 degrees with index at 103.   Weather channel suggests high of only 96 today.   30% chance of rain tomorrow (please).   Then 30% chance Mon, Tues., Wed. and then 60% next Thurs and Fri.   We can only hope and pray.    I was watching the science channel last night and they were suggesting that weather will be the next weapon that we harness.   Earthquakes and hurricanes mostly.  In fact some scientists and meteorologists on the show are concerned that the U.S. military might be playing with the weather already.  They support this by how no major hurricanes have hit the U.S. since Katrina.  It that's the case; they're killing us in S. TX. as hurricane weather while not developing into hurricanes produces rain.  We are down 12" already this year and haven't had significant rain for 12 months.

So I run as much before sun up as I can.  Today ran 13 miles in what we call hills.  First 4 in upper to mid 8's with wife and friends, then cranked down to low 8's, then last four 7:30 or better.   Avg pace 8:10 so it was an ok run.  Mcmillan site suggests my easy pace is 8:00 so 8:10 in the hills with slow start and heat is ok.   Saturday I hope to run 1 hour ez, then 15 X 1 min at mp and 1 min ez, then finish 30 mins ez.  (Hudson)    It will be interesting to see  how that works and the mileage I end up with.

Keep working guys and gals

Aug 14, 2007
    92. Jul 23, 2009 6:46 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred - I was thinking about your answer when asked why you ran 3 x's in one day.  You said at your age you were too slow for speed work?  Balderdash.   I know few if any that run your kind of speed!! 

nice 5.75 mile progression run this morning considering the 13 in the hills yesterday.  8:52 down to 6:47.  Will run ez tonght.

Hey Bob, Simon, Sierra, Ms B, Ribz, mia euphoric

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    95. Jul 24, 2009 5:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)

At rest my heart rate is about like yours, Fred, in the low 40s.

Ribs, I hope that  the pain you were experiencing in your back is gone, and that you've been able to run with no problems. I had a weird thing like that happen a couple of months ago. One day, I woke up with a  sharp pain in my lower back and I didn't know how it happened. The next day it was gone.

Simon, to your  question about triathalons: I haven't done one. I've thought about it.  I could do a short one, I think, right now, though the bike ride would certainly be weak. Maybe I'll do one one day just  for the fun of it.

This week has been kind of a bust for me. I haven't slept well (6 hrs a night, which is too little for me) most nights. I didn't run Monda or Tuesday (just too tired overall, though I walked several miles). I ran a nice 4.75 on Wed at work, then pooped out yesterday after little sleep. Today I'll run probably 5 or 6 miles. I consider this a down week in which I needed a  rest.

Aug 14, 2007
    96. Jul 24, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra - why such little sleep? 

Ran 10 this morning after two hard 5.75 mile runs yesterday.  Ran an avg 8:10 pace and ran later than usual so it was plenty warm.

Tomorrow on my 2 hour run I'm going to mimic Fred's 6 mile run and compare heart rates.  I know my resting rate is below 50 but my working rate is much higher than Freds for same pace.  I want to see if it mimics his pattern for run and recovery.  

Fred - what is your max heart rate?  I have never seen mine over 177 since I've had a monitor last couple years.  I ususally race around 155-157 on 1/2 marathon and down to 5K

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    97. Jul 24, 2009 10:22 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra, my back pain was not so great that I couldn't run with it, but I severely backed off, running each day, but just 2-3 miles.  Today was 4 miles in 36 minutes and my first flex workout this week.  Everything is fine.  Two years ago I would have just "run through" this, but I refuse to do that any more.  I am enjoying my running and I am going to do what Billy Rodgers suggests, when you feel an injury begin to develop "attack it immediately" so that's what I did, and I am fine.  Of course I will have posted a 20 mile week this week, but I am okay with that.  A new, normal week starts Sunday.  

My resting HR used to be in the low 40's before my heart problems.  I am very happy with it now in the low to mid- 50's and I expect it to continue to drop as my conditioning improves.  I suppose I ought to go measure my max HR but haven't done so yet.   Spareribs

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    98. Jul 24, 2009 5:02 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Say, Mrs B, you gotta tell us about that bike ride soon. I bet you can have some really nice rides in that part of the country.

Maybe if is is an off week for everybody - I am only up to 20 miles this week. But I dont mind because I'm planning an experiment -- I will need to be well adapted to steady runs at steeper grades, so I am running every mile at 1 percent grade or steeper this week; So I took two rest days to be careful not to overdo it.  It feels a lot like I am just starting over.  Maybe I can jog some outside this weekend and compensate.

My HR went up to 175 on Wed while I was having some fun, but I wasnt going all out, so I still don't know my max HR these days just that it is more than 175.  I wonder how important is Max HR, really, if I'm not training for any race anyway?

Aug 14, 2007
    99. Jul 24, 2009 6:54 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I suppose max heart rate isn't really important unless you train based on heart rate.  I don't.   I do compare heart rates after races to see if I ran as hard or as easy as I thought during the race.  Never look at it during a race except once in a while in a 1/2 or full marathon.  I'm going to record my heart rate tomorrow as it's a long run with a lot of surges and I'll just see if all the numbers fit together at the end.

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    100. Jul 24, 2009 7:44 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Should be interesting, KS. Fred I wonder if you set a record, 6 miles HR under 100 the whole way.  At a pretty fast clip to us mortals too!

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    102. Jul 25, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to fred-urie)

You could run a couple of miles and finish with an all-out 400 and get a max heart rate I imagine, but running flat out up a hill will surely do it.  Good point.

Just 3.5 this morning at 8:54's, then a flex workout (then walked the dog).  I think I will run a fiveK tomorrow just because I need the work.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    103. Jul 25, 2009 11:11 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hi everyone--

KS,  I get up at 4:30 am to be at work at 6 so that I can get off at 3:30. I'm usually tired enough to fall asleep at 8 pm. But this past week, I stayed up to 9:30 or 10 pm to start off the week. That threw off my schedule so I was in turn tired the next day. I often run at work but if I get too little sleep I close my eyes for a half hour at lunch instead of going for a run. I also ended up staying up late as well on subsequent nights. It's been hot here so I wait until it cools off to walk the dog, about 7:30 or 8--then I end up going to bed later.  I think I'm going to take the dog for shorter walks.

I like the new Garmin watch--it's got updated programming, so it beeps at each mile and has a screen that shows pace and time (instead of distance, as my last Garmin did). Perhaps there is a way to see distance as you're running but I haven't found it yet. Still, knowing when you reach a mile is good and perhaps better than knowing exactly where you are (distance-wise) on a run.

Yesterday was 5.16 on the Strawberry Fields Loop, easy. Today was 4 miles on the HS track, slow, and a 1,050 m swim (42 laps). So, 21 miles for the week. The previous week I had three runs in a row in which I did speed intervals (kind of crazy).  Adding walks with the dog and walks at work that week, I ended up with 46 miles...I think that caught up with me this past week as well.

Take care all--

Aug 14, 2007
    104. Jul 25, 2009 1:13 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Afternoon all.  Hope Sierra is getting a nap this afternoon.  I've been watching the Ironman Hawaii.

Got my workout done.  Up at 4 a.m.   Ran starting at 5 a.m. with wife 6 miles ez/1 hour.   Then 15 X 1 min surges at what I hope is marathon pace 6:50.   13 of the 15 were 6:19 (too fast) to 6:29.   2 got away from me at 7:08 and 6:55.  Finished with 5.6 mile cool down at 8 min pace.

legs ache in a good way.    Should have almost 70 miles for the week after a short club run tonight.

taking tomorrow 0ff

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...