Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11647 Views 134 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 9:31 AM by Spareribs823 RSS 1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 30, 2009 7:56 AM

July - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Possibly lower temperatures this week.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    1. Jun 30, 2009 8:37 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: July - 50 Plus Training and Racing

And wetter weather!

Managed 5 runs last week, 42 miles total, and built a bookcase as a "father and son" project on the weekend.

Glad to hear you are making progress at overcoming your injury, Sierra.

Welcome to the group, Bob.

Nice running in the heat last week, KS and Ribz.

I have been reading cycling mags and getting all revved up for the Tour de France, I wish OLN would televise some more of this kind of stuff, Giro d'Italia, Spain, California etc.

Good runs, everyone!

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 1, 2009 10:29 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Slow 5 today.  I am not yet getting acclimated to the heat, but I persevere!  Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Jul 1, 2009 10:41 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

7.75 ez miles in the hills this morning.

My Oct. 4 marathon is sneaking up on me.  Just realized today I have just over 12 weeks to go.   I am fit but my long runs are lacking so it's time to ramp up.   I was planning on doing a 12 week prep period but didn't realize it was here already.  Duh!   This should be an interesting experiment.

Have a good day all.

• Ms. Busy Bee Rookie 5 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    4. Jul 1, 2009 2:08 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I'm mainly a walker...going to join folks for Freedom Road 5K Jefferson Mile on 7/4/2009 in GGP in San Fran.  I love that the weather will be cooler.  As a walker in the 2009 Bay to Breakers Race, I got dehydrated and hurt my left ankle.  Want to hookup with active folks over 50.  Ms Busy Bee

Aug 14, 2007
    5. Jul 1, 2009 2:40 PM (in response to Ms. Busy Bee)

Hello and welcome ms. b.b.   Join in whenever you would like to.  I have a sister in law, bro in law, and nephew in S.F.   Never been there myself.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    6. Jul 1, 2009 3:29 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Happy Canada Day, Fred!

Welcome Busy Bee!

Ran a Canada Day 10k today, up in Barrie on Lake Simcoe.  The course is out and back for 5k, twice for 10k. Paved walking path along the shore, mostly flat except for a gradual climb followed by a short but steepish downhill and a small bridge at the marina.

My splits were unusually even, the first nine kilometers all between 4:34 and 4:42, the last faster as I pushed for the finish. I started about  one third back in a pack of both 5k and 10k runners, and started passing slower runners right away. After 2kms. I set my sights on a guy about 50 metres ahead in a green Mizuno shirt, (he stood out as most were wearing Canadian red and white). over the next couple of ks  I got up to a few metrtes behind him and stayed there as he was running at a pace I liked. By 7k I was at his shoulder and we chatted a few words when a family of geese crossed in front of us. I dropped back, then caught up, but did not want to go too soon. At 9k I told him "I'm going now" and started to push hard for the finish. He dropped back about 5 yards and I looked over my shoulder and told him to come with me but he couldn't, and was passed by another guy. I kept my pace and position to the finish, very happy with my run.

Hope you all had a good day and sorry about the italics- not sure what caused that!

Simon.

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    7. Jul 1, 2009 7:50 PM (in response to Ms. Busy Bee)

Welcome Ms B.

Congrats on a great 10K, SimonnR.

Thanks KS. slow and boring it is then.  In fact I think I will rest tomorrow or cross train, since I risk  overdoing it this week.

Tues, was just going to warm up and warm down, but built up speed to 6:40 pace, held that for a quarter mile, then slowly ramped down, about 3.25 miles total.  Got home and took Nerdlet out for a jog around the block. 

Today, jogged 5.5 at easy to steady state; when I got home Nerdlet wanted to jog again, so I took her around for another mile.

So now I'm already up to 15 or 16 miles, which is more than all of last week, I have a feeling I need to back off a bit.

Nerdlet is pretty cool 5 year old; I just do it for my health and for the challenge, but she actually loves jogging.

Aug 14, 2007
    8. Jul 2, 2009 5:03 AM (in response to BobTheNerd)

Nerdlet running a mile at a time is pretty good.   You are correct in not adding too much too soon to your schedule.   I have a running friend with a son (1st grade?) that just absolutely loves to run.  They have to limit how much he runs.

5.75 miles at 7:35 pace avg this morning.   Will run same distance tonight but slower and then Fri off.  Race Sat.

Good days to ya.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jul 2, 2009 10:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Welcome Busy Bee!  Post often.

Nice race Simon.

Great to hear the Nerdlet loves to run.  Let her enjoy it.

7 miles on the outdoor track, first time I can actually say I was fatigued.  Crawled in.  Then went to the Y and did flex workout and a core workout.  At it from 8 am to 11 am and I am tired now.   Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    11. Jul 2, 2009 5:53 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

*Hee Hee* "Washing Machine Heart" and "Spin Cycle"---that went right past me, KS. Good thing there's no more laundry metaphors for running, or are there?

That's what I've taken away from this injury experience, Fred--another way to train. It's been good in that way. I just received my aquajogger today and wouldn't you know but my hip has been feeling fine for a few days now. No pain at all. My sports therapist made some move with my leg to allow the nerve to slide back into place (or something like that, she said), and the next day, all was fine. *Thows small wad of confetti but not too high*

So yesterday was 3 miles on the dirt track--I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before so it was a little tough but I was so glad there was no pain that I didn't care. 3 mile walk as well as upper body workout. Today was 4.4 miles on the rubber track to test the hip on a harder surface. About 90 degrees and a little breeze at a 9:30-10 mm pace. Still, OK. A 1,200 meter swim afterwards and core and stretch workout. Most likely another 2 mile walk later on top of a mile walk earlier today. I'd really like to go for a longer run Sunday but probably shouldn't just yet.

That sounded like a tiring run, SpareRbs. Now that you've gotten that out of the way, you'll have a good one.

Take care all, and happy 4th

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    12. Jul 3, 2009 11:38 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

I hope it's not too hot wherever you all are, today.

I think it's great that your little one likes to run, Bob. I would encourage her, too.

I ran this morning to beat the heat. It's getting almost too hot to run in the late morning/early afternoon. 7.25 on the dirt track. My Garmin watch band broke and the battery wasn't charging properly, so I'm awaiting a new one (an even exchange), so I'm not sure of the pace. I ran in the outside lane the whole way so I would be able to calculate the distance. The time was 69 minutes. Just taking it easy, and it felt good. 55 pushups, and 65 other upper body repititions afterwards (and the core and stretches).

Good luck in your 4-mile race, KS. Is that this weekend?

1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...