Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22344 Views 85 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2010 8:12 AM by Achmed1 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 27, 2009 11:01 PM (in response to tcarter83)
    Re: Pet Peeves while running?

Normally I'm the one who says "You guys have to get over it" and "you can't control other people so just get used to these frustrations" but I have to say I'm most annoyed lately by two guys in their 60s who speed-walk in our neighborhood. They've done it for years but evidently they haven't noticed our neighborhood has grown and there is more vehicular traffic now. It's a narrow roadway that hugs a hillside, barely wide enough for two cars to pass as it is, alongside 5-foot paved walking path which is separated from the aforementioned roadway by a 3-foot grass boulevard. That's 8 feet of roadway sacrificed for the convenience of walkers, runners and other non-vehicular traffic. These guys are too important to use the expensive chunk of real estate, preferring instead to take up an entire lane of the already-too-narrow-for-traffic-load roadway surface, wearing big floppy hats, oblivious to all of us not-yet-retired-have-somewhere-to-go drivers crawling behind them at their not-so-fast speedwalking pace. Every time they're coming down the road facing me, I point at the walking path, and they just smile and wave, as if to say, Yep, that's a mighty fine walking path we have over there! Those guys drive me crazy.

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    61. Nov 29, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to MHaar)

I drives me crazy when faster runners or walking don't say "Runner on your left (or right or wherever)" and warn me that they are our there.

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• 96Yankees Expert 59 posts since
    Nov 15, 2009
    62. Nov 29, 2009 1:36 PM (in response to tcarter83)

1.  People who walk in groups and insist on occupying the entire trail.

2.  Vicious dogs and the owners who should muzzle them. (I once saw a runner pass me only to be attacked by a dog and nearly forced into a stream)

3.  Families of Bicyclists who insist on occupying the entire trail and run you off the trail.

4.  Landscapers with weed-wackers who refuse to turn them off as a pedestrian passes. (I've seen those things kick up rocks with enough force to shatter windshields).

5.  Inconsiderate drivers who make eye contact with you and still speed through pedestrian walkways.

6.  Wet leaves. They're worse than ice.

There's more.

2009 Richmond Marathon 4:08:24

2009 VMI 5k 23:18

• AileenPhilomena Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009
    63. Nov 29, 2009 1:39 PM (in response to 96Yankees)

Oh Yes I forgot about weed wackers and lawn mowers!

Aileen

twitter.com/AileenPhilomena

www.wccc.com

• 96Yankees Expert 59 posts since
    Nov 15, 2009
    64. Nov 29, 2009 1:48 PM (in response to tcarter83)

I almost forgot a couple:

7.  I run a trail that cuts throught he heart of the "City."  It runs parallel to a little creek and every now and then it crosses the creek with little bridges.  There's one spot on campus right behind a local pre-school.  If I run at the wrong time, I get caught at the bridge and have to wait for several parents to walk their strollers across the bridge.  Not the kids fault, or the parents.  I just hate waiting.  Once I was able to pass the bridge by walking.  At the other end I see one of my professors.  We exchanged pleasantries and his son jumped in front of me like a gatekeeper.  If it wasn't so funny, it would have been annoying.

8.  While running in uniform having random people call you a murderer.  That'll get your blood pressure up.

2009 Richmond Marathon 4:08:24

2009 VMI 5k 23:18

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    65. Nov 29, 2009 2:43 PM (in response to tcarter83)

(1) Drivers who do a "California rolling stop" in front of runners. For those of you outside CA - that means the car slows to about 5 mph as it approaches a stop sign - so I head into the crosswalk thinking the car is actually going to stop - even make eye contact with the driver - but the car doesn't stop, the driver instead hits the gas and I have to stop short to avoid getting hit.

(2) Drivers who are too busy talking or texting on their cell phones or Blackberries to notice runners (or anything else in their path) - especially since CA has a handsfree law that they're violating.

(3) Drivers in big minivans or SUV's who can't see properly out their rear window while backing out of their driveway (and are oblivious to anyone or anything that might be in their path). Especially if they refuse to turn their head and look behind them while backing up.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• KenBosch Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    66. Nov 29, 2009 3:55 PM (in response to 96Yankees)

96Yankees wrote:

8.  While running in uniform having random people call you a murderer.  That'll get your blood pressure up.

Ok, that reminds me of the start of the Mission Inn 1/2 Marathon. They played the national anthem and as I stood there with my hand over my heart, I looked around the crowd and counted 2 other people showing allegiance to their country. What a sad and pathetic bunch.

Southern California's Five Seasons: Earthquake, Brushfire, Mudslide, Riot and Bankruptcy......

• gogogadget16 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 30, 2009
    67. Nov 30, 2009 7:31 AM (in response to tcarter83)

My biggest pet peeve is when people park their cars ON the sidewalk. And it's not just 2 tires up on the curb... the ENTIRE CAR is on the sidewalk. Then there's nowhere for me to go but through yards or into the traffic.

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    68. Dec 16, 2009 6:25 PM (in response to tcarter83)

I have no pet peeves while I am running...but... I hate when I am driving and runners are two abreast and make no effort to step off to the side or even acknowledge that a car is coming. This happens more often with Bikers , but some runners do it too. We as runners need to be aware of drivers as much as they need to be of us. I don't know of any runner that has won a match against a car, no matter how in the right they were. Oh and unleashed dogs.  A swift kick usually works, but it still pisses me off. So i guess i was wrong. Dogs piss me off,. To no end. Except my dog. But she is never off the leash when outside...

• trailchick Amateur 7 posts since
    Jun 30, 2008
    69. Dec 27, 2009 5:14 AM (in response to tcarter83)

All so, so true!!  Driver's are the worst, but I have a couple to add:  1)cars waiting till they get right up next to you while you're just going along, and then they HONK--just to scare you.  It works.

2)  It appears that most drivers when stopping at a stop sign pull up and refuse to look at the sidewalk just to their right and have NO idea I'm there.  Gave up a long time ago with me having the right of way.  I go behind all cars waiting to pull out.  90% of them had absolutely no clue as I show up on the side that they are looking at.  3) I HATE cars backing out of their driveway.  How do little kids survive nowadays? Does no one look??

I think we should all ban together and start saying somehing to the walkers that refuse to move. I had to finally speak up to the shoppers.  How come I am ALWAYS the one to move out of everyone else's way? I'm getting really sick of it.  No matter where I am or what I'm doing.  I think I'm going to start saying somethink definitely on my runs.  What can I lose?

Dogs.  Been bitten twice on my runs thanks to dogs with no leashes or fences.  Day before yesterday I ran by a guy with two pit bulls and a boxer walking all three with no leashes.  I went to the other side of the road (we're in a neighborhood) for a couple blocks and then crossed back over.  Next thing you know a block later, the boxer comes screaming up behind me, luckily after a squirrel, but still.  come on...Why do your dogs have more rights than me?

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    70. Dec 27, 2009 7:47 AM (in response to tcarter83)

I'm very blessed to live in a small community where most everyone has good road manners. Drivers are very courteous, and just look at me like "What on earth is she doing?".  LOL

Dogs can be a problem.  Had a big ugly pit bull mix come at me once.  When I dropped to a walk he was okay with it, but when I started running he had a fit.  And this was on a park trail.  The teenagers he was with paid no attention.  On another route that I run there are two seperate homes that have big Lab puppies.  These puppies like to run along with me for a bit, which is fine, but they like to wind around in front and behind, almost tripping me.  I probably need a walk break by then anyway. haha

And I think this is a pet peeve of all runners - in races when walkers line up in front of the runners.  Yes, if you can walk a 10-minute mile (not likely), be my guest.  But if you're strolling along just to have a good time, START IN THE BACK, PLEASE!!!

My biggest pet peeve has nothing to do with anyone else.  When I'm inside on the TM it's not a problem, but EVERY TIME I run outside my nose runs like a faucet.  Allergies, I guess.  It's annoying to have to stuff my pockets with Kleenex and try to blow my nose while running.  Throws my gait off a bit, but I manage.

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• Leezle Amateur 101 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    71. Jan 11, 2010 8:25 PM (in response to bonewoman)

No running talk in the CH.  tisk tisk.

• Anita Crapplebum Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    72. Jan 11, 2010 8:29 PM (in response to Leezle)

What a bunch of cry babies.

• Jack Cort Amateur 15 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    73. Jan 12, 2010 3:54 AM (in response to tcarter83)

when the milfs in the hood close their curtains during my night time runs

grrr!

• Imgellin Legend 521 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    74. Jan 12, 2010 3:45 AM (in response to A.S.Hat)

Snark, how often has this happened to you?

Paul

2009 Indianapolis Marathon 3:59:14

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...