Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1861 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2009 1:50 PM by RunTedRun RSS
CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
Mar 20, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 4, 2009 12:13 PM

Rolled Ankle... Need help healing

Need help.  I rolled my right ankle very badly on a trail run about 5 weeks ago.  The ankle still swells a lot and I have had to reduce my mileage from 50 miles/week down to just 25.  I am now running every other day as the ankle swells during the day after the run.  What exercises are good to strengthen this ankle so I can get back out on the trails and back upto my regular mileage.   Stopping is not an option.

Spencer.

• RunTedRun Pro 58 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    1. Jul 4, 2009 10:16 PM (in response to CDR Spencer Moseley)
    Re: Rolled Ankle... Need help healing

Spencer you could just run with me next weekend.  Don't have much other advice!  Mission Trails has been kicking my arse lately.  Did you step on a snake or did you slip on a run down that **** hill  next to the quarry loop?    

If your ankle is up to it I'll be out again Saturday a.m.  My mileage is low lately, 25-30 a week.  So with your sore ankle I might be able to keep up.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Jul 5, 2009 6:05 AM (in response to CDR Spencer Moseley)

Have you had an xray or MRI ? 5 weeks and you still have problems - you could have cracked something - You say stopping is not an opntion - but had you stopped for 1 week and then had 1 light week  you would have lost 75 miles and probably been healed by now - but as it is you have lost nearly twice that already - it may be more prudent to stop for a week and see if that helps the healing.

Are you taping  your ankle up during runs ?

Any kind of drill where you are balancing on one foot will help your ankle strength - hopping on and off a bosu - side skaters - but stop and balance at each each rep rather than just jumping straight back - and you can do all the ankle movements with a resistance band wrapped around your foot - But I`m not sure if any of that os a good idea on an injury

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• RunTedRun Pro 58 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    5. Jul 7, 2009 1:50 PM (in response to CDR Spencer Moseley)

Spencer - This Saturday is the once/ a month "Keepers Day" at the San Diego Zoo.  It's open early to a few elites (suckers who pay extra $) one Saturday a month.  You get a behind the scenes type tour with a keeper and an exhibit.  It's an FFO (Forced Family Outing).  I could do Friday at 8 or maybe join you on the following Saturday?  Hope your ankle heaks up!!! ================  Ted

P.s. You running the AFC in August?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points