Skip navigation

908 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2009 7:51 AM by zebUSCG RSS
zebUSCG Expert 38 posts since
Nov 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2009 7:51 AM

Seeking an honest opinion? (RR)

Pretty long so broke down in to short and long versions. Thanks for taking the time to go over this for me.

Short Story: Five years of college, finally it is over hopefully. Want to do something awesome to celebrate so training for a fifty mile run. For motivation want to raise some cash for the local YMCA is the goal.

Long Story: Hey how goes it; wanted to do something involved with running to just celebrate finishing school. College has been a huge challenge from education to my own development of self. Looked around my area for marathons and that were close. A few popped up but were just out of the state. There was an ultra race not to far from where I live. So volunteered at the event for this year and had a blast. So my plan is to hopefully run this race next year. There are three different events a: 50k; 50 mile; 100k. Plan is to do the fifty mile race. Trying to get myself up to forty miles a week by the fall to see where I stand.

So the plan is the YMCA just getting back into going to the gym lately. The YMCA is a great addition to our city I feel. Helps the children, families, and adults try and live a healthy lifestyle. Not just physically but gives direction to those who need it. Mostly run on donations would like to help raise money so they can continue their work in the community. Raising this money would be a huge step out of my normal comfort zone though. Very shy and laid back. Feel though the challenge would be very beneficial.

Not sure how much involvement I can take in this. Focus is on finishing school and training for the race. Though would be able to volunteer an hour or two from the week to help out down at the YMCA. Can ask the clubs and sororities at the college I attend to raise some donations as a possibility. Final action can take is can ask my company to help raise funds. They have a charity that works with the United Way. The United Way is a sponsor of the YMCA as well. So that might work out.

Now with raising money a question comes to my mind is collecting the funds. The economy is not so great and might not be able to raise enough cash. Or asking people for cash seems kind of wrong when it is such a tough time. Have family and friends who are struggling through this tough time. Everybody is making the best and helping out.

If I go through with this will be something amazing if it works. Goal isn't to try and do something good. I love to run and so why not use it to do something to better the community. That is the message want to give off we have our own individual talents, skills, abilities, and so forth that help create a better community. Not even as to be physical like running can be mathematics and so on.

Pros: great for the community; take on a challenge; role-model; being healthy; a few more have to think of

Cons: will be a challenge; money; going out of my comfort zone; what if nothing happens; could be embarrassing to myself, and family; grammar; a few more have to think of Fundraising

Goals:YMCA: $500 total from members and $500 total from YMCA members families = $1,000

College: $ 1,000

Work: $1,000

Grand Total: $3,000

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...