Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1209 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2009 7:27 AM by Barnes360
Barnes360 Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2009 1:52 PM

Help!  Odd lower leg "nerve" injury - near achillis

I have an odd foot/ankle injury and need help.  Ran Boston Marathon in April, a half marathon a few weeks later and climbed a mountain a few weeks later and that did it - overuse injury.

I have looked into all angles on this one.  Here's what I got:  Doesn't seem like achilles injury.  Instead maybe "tarsal tunnel syndrome" BUT not sure.  Nerves involved I think.

I can "play" a nerve on the back of my achilles like a guitar string and feel pain ONLY on outside bottom of the foot.  There is apparently a nerve which branches into three parts serving the foot and I think two of the parts are affected.  Sometimes rear bottom, outside edge only; sometimes front bottom in area of toes.  All bottom and outside of foot - not inside or tops.  Narrow band.  I have been compensating for 3-4 weeks now and try not to stretch the leg.  If I straighten my leg fully in a standing position and stretch my toes upwards -  pain.  I have had plantar fasciatis years ago and this doesn't seem like same thing.

47 years old, good health, male.  Stopped everything weeks ago.  Injury hasn't gotten worse or better in weeks. Afraid something torn.  Am patient and can wait months if need be.

Thinking of acupuncture (never tried it); maybe me an orthopedist? Advice?  Want to avoid surgery.

Thank you.

• chuntley Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009

I had a similar pain without nerve involvement, so maybe there is hope for you to avoid surgery.  

It started above the foot, looped through a notch in the outside of the foot, and ended near my toes on the underside of my foot. The pain was worst on the side of the foot, right at the notch. 

The podiatrist said it was a problem with the peroneal muscle on the outside of my lower leg. I started stretching the peroneals a couple times a day using a towel and got almost immediate relief. At first the pain would come back if I forgot to stretch, but now I can miss a day or two without problems.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points