Skip navigation

4246 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2009 9:52 PM by mcapozza RSS
Guila Muir Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 9, 2009 9:36 AM

Lot and lots of GAS!!

Not the most pleasant subject, I know. I have found some advice, but not a lot about this. *What do you think, especially if you are a distance or open water swimmer?

After swimming hard or for  more than a mile in the open water, I'm left with the most bloated feeling! I WANT to (let's put it politely) FLATULATE, but just remain bloated for up to 4 hours. I have a feeling this has to do with not exhaling completely, thus compounding the air in my stomach and gut.

When I really pay attention to expelling all the air as I swim, I get tired and winded!!

I have tried Gas-X after swimming, but it doesn't really work. I just have to wait  for the air to "filter out" over time. It can be painful!

Do particular foods create gas? Should I hold to the old dictum of never eating less than 2 hours before swimming? Is this something that plagues older swimmers more than young ones?

What's going on with me? I'm a 54 year old woman.

THANKS!

• Muffin Top Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Jul 20, 2009 7:48 PM (in response to Guila Muir)
    Re: Lot and lots of GAS!!

Air does not go from your lungs to your gi track.  Gas is mostly caused by carbs.  The aroma from Protein.  Oddly enough after a while on a Raw Vegan diet I did not have much problems untill I supplemented protein to build muscle.  I suggest experimenting with your diet.

• mcapozza Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    2. Jul 20, 2009 9:52 PM (in response to Guila Muir)
    Re: Lot and lots of GAS!!

Muffin top is likely incorrect, otherwise you would notice this problem all the time, not just after distance swimming. You are probably swallowing air (and water) during the swim - a very small amount per breath, but multiply that by 20 breaths per minute x 30 or more minutes - bloating, and eventually flatulence. Don't ask me how I know this...

There are many posts about this on Trifuel.com, Slowtwitch.com, etc. (google it). The theory is that there may be imperfections in your breathing technique - does your head follow your hips and shoulders during the breath or do you just turn your head and gasp for air? Hold your breath underwater or continuous exhale? Controlled, relaxed breathing technique?

The remedies that others have suggested involve making changes to your technique - try them to see if anything works for you

Hope that helps - Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points