Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22707 Views 81 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2009 8:08 AM by spicegeek RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 13, 2009 11:03 PM (in response to Marykb)
    Re: People are so funny - my running Pet Peeve

I"ve got a couple of pet peeves for the treadmill:

(1) People who camp out behind my treadmill after I've been on it for about 5 min (the nominal time limit at the gym is 30 min) and proceed to stand there and stare at it till I'm done 25 min later. Don't they have anything better to do - like get on a different piece of equipment?

(2) People who expect me to stop in the middle of my running workout and chat with them. Usually these are casual acquaintances who are at the gym to socialize rather than work out. If I just smile and wave, or tell them politely "I'll talk more after I'm done here", they get insulted. Go figure. 

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    16. Jul 14, 2009 7:34 AM (in response to crl8686)

Oh the gym pet peeves are a whole nother thang.   I don't know why this bothers me so much but it gets under my skin.  I'm working out on a treadmill or stairmaster, some a piece of equipment I'll be on for at least 30 mins and a couple people near me start talking as loud as possible.  Ususally not even working out.  I find that guys do this much more then women oddly enough.  I'm trapped listening to their conversation.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    17. Jul 14, 2009 7:57 AM (in response to Urbster)

2 gym peeves - guys who will walk up and take the ( heavy ) weights that is right at my feet or will just jump on a machine assuming I could not possibly be using it ...  and ( mostly ) girls who will walk over and talk to ( hit on ) my trainer while he`s working with me.

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

May 27, 2008
    18. Jul 14, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to spicegeek)

1) The gyms empty, handful of people working out.  I put my lock on my locker, no one else has a lock anywhere around me....I come back and the only other girl in the place has camped out in front of my locker and taken the one right next to mine.   ????    It's not a small locker room how does this happen?   

2) Someone likes to leave 10 45lb weights on the leg press   -   I use 2  =  I move 8. 

• patzy Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 14, 2009
    20. Jul 14, 2009 10:59 AM (in response to Marykb)

She was a walk/runner, if that tells you anything

What's wrong with being a walk/runner?? 

May 27, 2008
    22. Jul 14, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to Marykb)

yeah I re-read the post, that's what I got out of it.  You were trying to imply you were slow enough for a walk runner to pace off you.  

Because of a recent knee injury all I can do is walk run for now, I have a new outlook on that style. 

• patzy Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 14, 2009
    23. Jul 14, 2009 11:21 AM (in response to Marykb)

Thank you for clarifying!  I was like, "I'm a walk/runner...is that BAD??!"

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    24. Jul 14, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to Marykb)

This thread is funny.  I will admit to doing a few of the things here that annoys people.  But the one thing that I do that really annoys runners.  When it is windy I draft off of runners.  For some reason not many people use this strategy.  IMO it helps a lot on really windy or gusty days.  I usually get close to a runner, 1 feet behind, off a bit to the left or right depending on the wind.  I know they get annoyed because they keep looking back.  Sometimes they move over and I move with them - lol.  Better yet sometimes they speed up and I stick right behind them - they are doing all the work and I am enjoying the fruits of their labor.  The only time I move off is when they slow down too much.  Then I look for a new victim, muhaha!

James

James
  • trail trekker Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    25. Jul 15, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to Marykb)

I'm with MeganRoot!  Dog owners on trails are the worst!  Most people in our area leash them and yes, I'm grateful, but then the leash becomes a problem.  The owner lets the dog have 5ft of leash and walks on the opposite side of the trail from the dog.  If I'm coming up from behind, I'll call out far enough back so I don't surprise the dog or the owner. Now they see me coming and I'm not that fast, so you'd think they would reign the dog in but NO.  It's like they are a deer in headlights.  I'm left with a decision of stopping, jumping over the leash (never a good option) or hitting the brush (most used option). I don't blame the dog but I wish the owners would get a clue.  PS - I am a dog owner and would never put a runner or my dog in that bad situation.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    26. Aug 1, 2009 5:51 PM (in response to Marykb)

Biggest pet peeve, neighbors who obviously see that I am sweating to beat the band, running with my headphones on and try to stop me to ask "what are you doing".  also had a neighbor (a very old guy who can now barely see or walk....I mean no disrespect) tell me, "I used to walk faster than you run"....you know what buddy...Shut up!  Also ladies (and I use the term loosely) who walk a 5K in a group and block the way for the runners.  I also had a group that kept speeding up and stopping every time I caught up to them.  I'm not fast but I don't walk in a race.  I'm consistent so when I'm chugging along doing my run and these girls "run" in their cute little outfits and then stop to chat until I catch up to them and take off again....what the heck is that?  Also the people who tell you how bad running is and you know that they do absolutely NO physical activity because they have every excuse in the book.....

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Slow Lizzie Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 22, 2009
    27. Aug 2, 2009 10:38 AM (in response to Marykb)

My pet peeve is people who get on me about my choice in shoes.  Yes, I run in plain old Ked Champions.  It's my choice, so get over it!  My arches are strong enough not to need arch support, and I'm a forestriker, so no need for tons of heel padding. I've done my research and made an informed decision. After two months of working out daily, I've have had no related pain or injury.  I don't bug others about their choice in gear, so enough already!

• Bicentennial 5K   6-6-09   17:04 Pace
    • Firecracker 10K   7-4-09   13:38 Pace
    • Zoo Run Run 5K   7-18-09   12:46 Pace
    • River Run 5K   8-29-09   12:13 Pace     
    • Cheetah Run 5K   9-6-09   12:07 Pace 
    • Run the Falls 5K   9-26-09   12:00 Pace
    • The Scenic 5K   10-3-09   11:50 Pace
    • Indianapolis Marathon 5K   10-17-09   11:46 Pace
    • Fall Fest 5K   10-24-09   11:43 Pace
  • Snowman79 Legend 483 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    28. Aug 4, 2009 2:28 PM (in response to Slow Lizzie)

My last race gave me my biggest race pet peeve.  I can live with someone pacing me or walking and then speeding up when I catch up but this lady was the worst.  It was a 10 mile trail race, my first trail race.  After about 2 miles we formed pacing packs which was cool.  This lady would get in front of me no matter how fast she had to go to do it and go JUST enough that I wouldn't go by her.  She was quick but couldn't go up steep hills fast and I always passed her on hills.  Then WHOOOSH, she'd come sprinting by and park right in front of me.  This was worse to me because on a trail race, you need to see where you're stepping.  I swear she was purposefully trying to get me to step in a hole or bust my ankle on a root by blocking my view.  I passed her at least 7 times in the race but only for 20 seconds at a time before she would pass back and park.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses.

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...