Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

23327 Views 81 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2009 8:08 AM by spicegeek Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Snowman79 Legend 483 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Sep 14, 2009 2:28 PM (in response to Marykb)
    Re: People are so funny - my running Pet Peeve

You're correct Mary and everyone else.  As runners know, the only person that you are competing against is yourself.  Your goal is always to beat your PR.  If you enter a race with no goal, you shouldn't be in that race.  Without a goal, there is no drive and determination pushing you to go faster.  These people we talk about are those who enter races without care as to time, goals, other races, etc.  Pardon me because I know some people won't like this but I call them Wanna-be's.  They want to tell people they did a 30k or whatever the race may be but don't want to do the work to get ready for the race.  They just want the satisfaction of doing the race, telling people, guess what? I just did a 30k!!!  You're right Mary, very self centered people.

I dropped my marathon for October because I felt I wasn't on track in my training.  I felt I was going to rush it and possibly cause injury to myself (further injury LOL).  Could I have completed the marathon?  Absolutely!  But I don't want my first marathon to be my last and I don't want it to be a race that I dread looking back on.  I changed to a half marathon and will run my first full marathon in the spring. 

When you go to a race, you will find that there are runners, and then there's everyone else.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses.

• campi_mama Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    76. Sep 14, 2009 6:05 PM (in response to Marykb)

I just have to chime in...couldn't resist  I ran a 5K recently(that's a marathon, right? lol) and there were a few things that just had me going "Huh?".  The all time head scratcher...the people who stopped to walk when the finish line was in sight...what is THAT???  Holy cow, keep running!  Here I am pushing 110% to beat my PR and you're gonna walk the last 1/4 mile?  OY!  The other peeves have already been mentioned- darting in front of others to get to the water station and of course the person with the jogging stroller who lined up toward the front of the pack (with the other walkers I had to weave around).  ?:|

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    77. Sep 14, 2009 9:06 PM (in response to Snowman79)

I've always been surprised by the number of non-runners who don't know what the marathon distance is, or what it means - even though it's a relatively high profile event. To them, a race of any distance is a "marathon". I've had to politely correct some relatives and co-workers when they'll casually refer to my latest 5K or 10K race as a "marathon". And sometimes they get it - and sometimes they don't.

"Anyone can complete a marathon, but only a runner will say the marathon completed them."

I agree that's a great quote. Although I'm a 5K/10K'er at heart (and admittedly better at those shorter distances), this year I've invested 14 weeks, soon to be 18 weeks, happily training my tail off for a marathon. Why? The marathon is the classic challenge, it takes a unique kind of discipline, patience and dedication. And sacrifice. Marathon training takes a lot more out of your life (and your family's life) than 5K or 10K training. I've been racing the shorter distances for 23 years and can do them pretty much at the drop of a hat. I can squeeze 5K/10K training into my schedule just about any week. I can even decide to race a 5K or 10K literally on 24 hr notice. But the marathon really is different. There is a detailed plan, and a long schedule, and more hours logged on the road than I ever thought possible.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• kimmypoohx3 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    78. Sep 15, 2009 6:44 AM (in response to Marykb)

i think everyone needs to come to Cleveland and run the towpath marathon in october it's one of the nicest you can get, it's a trail and gorgeous.

http://www.towpathmarathon.net

& i completely agree with ^^. true there is a huge difference between a marathon and a 10k...months of difference! Just remember to run for yourselves* thats what keeps me loving every minute of it!

• Kempa Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 18, 2004
    79. Sep 15, 2009 6:48 AM (in response to Marykb)

I Run at 4:45 AM so I don't have to interact with other runners. I get some of the early pet walkers, but that is rare. I get deer sightings, and sometimes get to greet the newspaper delivery man.

• mt232 Pro 64 posts since
    Nov 13, 2008
    80. Sep 15, 2009 7:35 AM (in response to Kempa)

Since the training required for a marathon has been mention....I'm curious.....

How much harder is a full marathon over a half marathon? I know its twice as far, and I know I'm far from doing either....but would you say 3, 4, 5 times harder, more training involved?

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    81. Sep 15, 2009 8:08 AM (in response to mt232)

Marathon training ... I`m not sure harder is the word - it is more time consuming and more focussed. While I could "waste:" a workout boxing when training for half marathon - thats not an option now - I need every drop of energy focussed on the training for the marathon - every workout has to have value to the race. My weight training workouts had to change - some stuff got added and some "play" had to go - You loose the  flexibilty to a large extent - it`s mentally tough in that way - It`s a longer period of time - 18 - 20 weeks V 12 - 14  - and your entire life becimes driven by the training - Can`t go out Sat night - you have a long run in the morning. Can`t go on vacation all summer unless it`s somewhere you can get your 2 hours of training in daily - weddings etc - everything ends up taking second place to the training.

Physically - if you have a good base running and strength training - I don`t think it`s any harder than training for a half - you build up at a steady pace - I`ve hit my 20 mile long run and I don`t recall any training run so far being physically any harder than the half training runs the first time through - there were some mental waals I didn`t run into on the shorter training

I guess I`m training about 10 - 12 hours a weeks right now -  that maybe 3 hours more per week  than when I half training - but those 3 hours are mostly the extra time on the long runs and 2 solid core workouts each week that I added

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...