Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4483 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2009 2:23 PM by BoniF
karenszoo Rookie 6 posts since
Jun 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2009 12:55 PM

Cranky Knees

I am a serious walker, but recently have gone for a few enjoyable but difficult bike rides at the beach. I'd like to do some more bike riding...but I have seriously kranky knees. Any suggestions? I want to do some fun rides (i.e. Midnight Madness and Bike the Bay and even Lake Murray) but wondering if I should really persue this as a new hobby?

• mydoglily Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    1. Jul 18, 2009 6:30 AM (in response to karenszoo)
    Re: Cranky Knees

Karenszoo,

You didn't mention what part of the knee hurts.  My experience is that, like everything else we do, we need to build the muscles used for an activity slowly as we start.  If your first few rides out are really cranking, your knees will develop pain quickly.  If you start out building a base, pain can be avoided.  I also have found that with most knee pain, it is often related to weak core strength.  I do core exercises several days a week to avoid pain in my knees and to avoid tendonitis from riding and running.

• Scotty T70 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 19, 2009
    3. Jul 19, 2009 12:17 PM (in response to karenszoo)

Based on my experience, I ride 80 to 150 miles a week, my knee pain is usually a product of the height of my seat.  If the front of my knee hurts the seat is too high and if the pain is in the back of the knee, then the cause is my seat is too high.  The pain in the front can also come from riding in too high of a gear, you should always start spinning easy   in a low gearand warm up like this before riding in your higher gears.

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    5. Sep 6, 2009 6:08 PM (in response to karenszoo)

Try building more mass in your quads, that helped straighten me out. (also a bike-fit would be nice)

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    7. Sep 7, 2009 5:17 AM (in response to karenszoo)

Yes, they charge about $60 and a bike tech will set your bike geometry to your geometry and style. But ...if you have history try glucosamine w/ MSM 2000/day for 30 days min. $12-18

• BoniF Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 26, 2009
    8. Oct 1, 2009 2:23 PM (in response to karenszoo)

I just got back from my knee dr.  I have had 7 knee surgeries,  so you can say I have "cranky knees"  Riding is great for your knees. You need a bike that fits, and your leg in a position that you are not puttin g too much presure on.  You need the position that feels good to you, not what other tell you.

Apparently the bike you took your ride on doesn't sound like it had the right gears or the right fit.  Cycling is one of the best therapy for "cranky knees"  If you want to get serious and really enjoy riding than you need to invest in a bike that fits you and the right gears.  I am amazed at some of the riders I see on the trail, bikes too small, knees not extended, bars too short 'Ouch"  Cycling is to be enjoyable..I can ride hours and hours and climb hills and do it all over agin tomorrow, and the next day and the day after...

I find that taking Flax seed oil is the best for my knees.. I feel down and hit both knees pretty hard, when the swelling didn't go down I got a shot of cotizon.  I was told 3 years ago to get a knee replacement...but as long as my "Cranky knees" can still pedel, I'll pass on surgery.

Good luck and don't give up on cycling...

Boni

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points