Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2711 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2010 8:57 AM by Watcher10
Hunter and Tylers Mom Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2009 9:11 PM

Pain After Work Outs

My husband and I just started working with a trainer for the first time (first time for me at least!). My husband and I are in extreme pain for days after our work outs. Is this normal when first starting out? I worked my Biceps, Triceps and Shoulders 2 days ago and I feel like I have seperated both shoulders and my arms are cramping up as i write this. The trainer advised to stretch and drink lots of water. We have done both and are still in a great deal of pain. Is there anything else we can do to minimize the pain from these workouts?

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    1. Jul 14, 2009 10:31 AM (in response to Hunter and Tylers Mom)
    Re: Pain After Work Outs

First let me say I have been a trainer for over 20 years. Any trainer worth there weight should always tailor their routines to the individual, that means you use prudence and slowly bring a client along as their body dictates. It does you no good, in fact harm, to be over trained. Your bodies recuperative ability is not at a point where you should work so hard that you're in pain. I always have my clients do less than I think they can the first couple of times, ask them how they feel each time and adjust accordingly.

BTW stretching and drinking water will have no bearing on your pain, do go out and try to use those muscles in easy or light efforts to flush the wastes out and nutrients in. Apply ice directly to areas of pain for 20 minutes or take a warm epsom salt bath (luke warm never hot).  Don't be afraid to tell your trainer that you want to go slower at first, remember you're paying them. Continued over training can lead to tentinitis which can take weeks to months to heal.

Hollywood PersonalTrainer

• FrankieAmons Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    2. Sep 10, 2009 3:49 PM (in response to Hunter and Tylers Mom)

Pain is normal if you haven't worked out in a while.  Get some protein in you and stick to your work out.  You'll eventually be doing the same workout and not experiencing any pain... then you'll want the pain back to know you're workout is being effective...

• lewistgl Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    3. Jul 21, 2010 2:57 PM (in response to Hunter and Tylers Mom)

another suggestion,  i am an ER Dr in SC and came across a product called CieAura. they developed holographic chips that stimulate cell communication and energy flow along acupuncture meridians.  you should give it a try.   the website is     www.lewishealth.cieaura.com    feel free to contact me if you want to know more.  you can reach me from the website.

• Watcher10 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    4. Aug 12, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to Hunter and Tylers Mom)

You should take a look at your nutrition - protein intake, electrolytes, minerals, etc.

When I first started working out with a trainer - yes, I was in pain for 2-3 days after the workout.  Now that I've been working out regularly for more than 10 months, the pain is very much diminished, even after I push myself.  If you have been sedentary and just started training, lifting, etc., there is a lot going on in your body developing muscles that have never been worked before.

Also, as suggested, do a light workout a day or two after - even though you feel sore, you will find that getting moving again will relieve the muscle soreness and stiffness that you are feeling.

PLANNED

5k for Cancer Race - St. Mary Mercy Hospital - 9/12/10

Big House Big Heart (5k) - 10/3/10

Hudson Mills Turkey Trot (5k) - 11/13/10

Holiday Hustle (5k) - 12/4/10

COMPLETED

Ann Arbor Firecracker 5k  7/4/10 - 35:55

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points