Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1659 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2009 7:19 AM by JonasCox
stephengb Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2009 5:26 AM

Moving to Boston, MA

Question for those running in or around Boston, MA.

Work's probably going to send me accross the pond from the UK office to Boston and so I'm going to need some new running haunts and a place to live. (I've done my share of long-distance commutes already and don't want to be hopping back and forth from London  ). So could anybody give me any pointers with the following?

#1. Resources

Can anybody point me to any local running forums for the Boston area? (Yes, I'm sure Google could help but time's limited at the moment and somebody might be able to give me some valuable pointers!)

#2. Training

I'm a 32-minute 10k runner who'd rather be doing cross-country and fell races (which I think translates as trail and mountain races). Can anybody point me in the direction of suitable clubs / training groups and good places to get off the roads? I'm not going to have a car when I arrive and going for a run will be a bigger priority than buying a vehicle, naturally.)

#3. Accommodation

I'm going to have to find myself somewhere to live, and need to be within 45min of the centre of Boston by public transport. I'd also like to be able to train with people living nearby and get off the roads without driving for miles.

Any advice?

• JonasCox Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    1. Jul 14, 2009 11:19 AM (in response to stephengb)
    Re: Moving to Boston, MA

Hi,

I can't speak to #1 and #2, but I have some advice for #3:  Brighton, technically a part of Boston, is a great place to live as a runner.  Take my neighborhood (South St., zipcode 02135) as an example: I am within walking distance of three subway lines that take me into Boston in 30 minutes or less (I work near the Children's museum, which adds a 15-minute walk, which is fine by me!).  For my runs, I typically go up Commonwealth Avenue toward Boston College (doing the reverse of Heartbreak Hill).  I typically turn on Walnut Street, to Centre Street, and then back to Cleveland Circle via Beacon St., admiring the beautiful houses and lawns of Newton along the way.  (you'll see many other runners on this route, because it is part of the Boston Marathon, plus there is a side/service road alongside it.)   If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll do a few laps on the 1.5-mile path around the Cleveland Circle Reservoir before heading home (the Reservoir is one of the open-space jewels of Boston).  Brighton is very convenient in general (if it weren't for having 2 children, my wife and I would get rid of our one car and do the subway and rent ZipCars instead), and the housing prices are affordable compared to Brookline and Newton.

if you have any questions, please let me know.  And welcome (in advance) to Boston!

Best,

Jonas

• bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    2. Jul 14, 2009 11:53 AM (in response to stephengb)

Welcome!  I live about 20 miles west of Boston.  The suburbs here are divided into north, west and south.  The MBTA subway connects many of the suburbs to Boston.  When talking to a real estate or rental agent, make sure you tell them you want to be near a MBTA line.  For races in the area, there is a great race calendar on www.nerunner.com.  Also check out www.coolrunning.com for races.  There is a rather "wild and crazy" bunch called the Hocomock Swamp Rats who are into trail races.  Check them out on the web.  For mountain races (sadly the series got over on Sunday) which includes the Mt. Washington race (their motto, "Only 1 Hill" which rises over 8000meters) check out www.usatfne.org/trail/.  It is a series of 7 mountain races.  Despite being a city, there are trails in and around Boston to run.  I believe on

Nov. 7th there is the Strone Cat trail marathon and ultra in Ipswich MA

north of Boston.  The best running stores around include Marathon Sports and Bill Rogers Running Stores.  Both have more than 1 location.  There are many many running clubs around here with the most famous being the BAA who sponsor the Boston Marathon (around here they just say "The Marathon"  ).  Depending on where you settle, you'll find a great running club nearby.  Many local clubs have weekly pub series.  Oh yea, I hope you like running in the snow HA.  See you at local race soon!

Plan your run and then run your plan.

• TurtleRunDD Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 14, 2009 6:01 PM (in response to stephengb)

Hi, welcome to Boston!  I have lived in Quincy since March and its like a little city away from the big city.  The public transportation is all around here and the area around the shore is lovely.  Blue hills is an amazing area with lots of different trails and levels, and I think one of the most breathtaking views of Boston from the top.  The public transportation to the airport is excellent as well.

Hope this helps!

• JonasCox Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    5. Jul 17, 2009 7:19 AM (in response to stephengb)

Please forgive the somewhat hard sell, but my wife and I are putting our condo on the market (South St. in Brighton).  I know it's presumptious to think it would be the right place for you (not sure whether you want a studio, a one- or two-bedroom, etc.), but stranger things have happened (and personally, I'd like to save the realtor fee and pass on half to the buyer in the form of a lower asking price).  You can reach me outside this thread at jonascox@mindspring.com if you have any interest.

Thanks,

Jonas

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points